Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Restarting now that kids aren't babies - bike question
Quote | Reply
Y'all know the story. The casual triathlete has kids and drops out of racing for a while. Hours of sleep shrink and Lb's appear like sad magic. Well, balance is returning to the force, and I'm getting ready to start training again. Thing is, someone permanently borrowed my road bike out of my garage, and I just don't feel like my Parlee TT fits my current level of fitness. I'm currently sitting at 6'3" and 245lbs having loved my old Orbea Onix. I tried some metal frames and just didn't like the feel. So my question is, does anyone have a recommendation for a good carbon frame road bike with an endurance-style geometry that fits the requirements of my slowly shrinking physique? And also, what's the best way to turn my Parlee into said bike by way of sale/trade/whatever?
Quote Reply
Re: Restarting now that kids aren't babies - bike question [etxeba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe a cervelo s5?
Quote Reply
Re: Restarting now that kids aren't babies - bike question [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Maybe a cervelo s5?

fixed it
Quote Reply
Re: Restarting now that kids aren't babies - bike question [etxeba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Canyon Endurace or Ultimate might fit what you are looking for.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at what age did this actually happen?!
I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old and I can barely get enough training in for 70.3's..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant Defy Advanced, I'm 6'4" and 250lb, been riding it for years (pre-disc brake model), love the bike, super comfortable and great for the UK's crappy roads
Quote Reply
Re: Restarting now that kids aren't babies - bike question [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
at what age did this actually happen?!
I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old and I can barely get enough training in for 70.3's..........

Sounds like you have the balance. 10 hours a week?
Quote Reply
Re: Restarting now that kids aren't babies - bike question [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
usually 9-ish, but its almost all before work or the kids get out of bed.....like secret training ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i believe trek lists 275 as their weight limit for their bikes. Specilaized is 250 ish.

I'm 260ish for the past 10 years and have ridden on many carbon parts/frames without issue except one bike that was damaged in a crash. Avoid low spoke/super light wheels. I also avoid carbon seat rails though I have no real basis for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Restarting now that kids aren't babies - bike question [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
usually 9-ish, but its almost all before work or the kids get out of bed.....like secret training ;)

So you're a ninja AND a triathlete. Multitasking FTW!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Restarting now that kids aren't babies - bike question [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you or anyone you know actually saddled up on a Canyon? I'm really interested to hear what they're like and how the buying experience was. You know, since you can't try out the fit in advance of buying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both a Canyon Ultimate and a Canyon Inflite, and I will be getting a Canyon MTB in the near future.

My buying experience was top notch for both. Both bikes shipped quickly. I had them both built within 2 days of being ordered (I live in Socal). I think I was one of the first US customers when I got my Ultimate, and the folks on the phone were very friendly, and they know what they are talking about.

The build was simple and to the point. They provide the tools necessary if you don't have them. I actually had my Inflite delivered to a Hotel in Reno while I was at a trade show. I built it in my hotel that night and got a ride in before dark too.

Regarding the fit, they are knowledgeable and can help you figure that out, and I believe they have a fitting tool on their site.

They also have an excellent return policy too in the case that you don't like the bike or it doesn't fit.

I know a lot of people here locally are getting on Canyon's too and I believe that most are really loving the bikes!

Overall, I would highly recommend a Canyon to anyone. ***I am tall and ride big bikes, so I haven't had much issue finding the bike I want in stock.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not as sexy as some of the rides discussed here but the Fuji Transonic, in my opinion, is a highly underrated ride. Price points don’t leave too much of a mark either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, for what it's worth, I did spint and oly distance when my daughter was young (up to age 5) and then got out of it because she started playing sports.

After 11 years of AAU and school basketball and Club and school soccer, I'm easing back in as my daughter heads into her senior year. So in my case, 15 years...
Quote Reply