Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rest of Shimano product family
Quote | Reply
Someone mentioned a while back that Shimano uses the "trickle down" approach to product development (when a new grouppo comes out the previous top of the line moves down one, and so on). Does anyone know what's going to happen to the current DA 9sp? Does this get re-badged as Ultegra for next year or does it go away completely? It sure would be a shame to lose it, since it's still a great grouppo and perfectly usable for most folks.
Quote Reply
Re: Rest of Shimano product family [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"'rickle down' means that next year (or some time in the future) Ultegra/105/Tiagra etc will become 10 speed, not that current DA speed becomes 9 speed Ultegra. Shimano will just stop making 9 speed DA as they stopped making 7 sp and 8 speed.

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Rest of Shimano product family [Noggin the Nog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is 100%...certainly, absolutly WRONG....ShimaNO does NOT trickle anything down. Campagnolo Record of last year is this years Chorus...and on and on...ShimaNO has never turned any DA part into an Ultegra labeled part. Not once, ever.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Rest of Shimano product family [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Oracle has spoken (ap' to kolo, alla exei milisei. Tora xereis file Katsouda).

Quote Reply
How long will Shimano produce DA 9speed? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long will Shimano produce DA 9speed? Or have they already stopped doing that?

Will it be hard for me to find parts to 9speed lets say in 2005?

Best Regards Dave

Quote | Reply
Shimano may not have the component you need at the Dura Ace level in 2005, but you can rest assured that you will be able to find 9 speed parts at around the "105 level". Unlike Campagnolo, Shimano has continued to support 7 and 8 speed drivetrains since they swicthed to 9 speed for their higher end grouppos.
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Shimano produce DA 9speed? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John, I dont think Shimano is supporting 7 or 8 speed grouppos. I have 8 speed Dura Ace and I cant get a new right hand (rear derailleur) shifter. I had to bid on EBAY to get it. Otherwise I woud have to pay $1000 to upgrade to 9 speed. I would rather buy wheels for my new QR with that. Please let me know if I am incorrect here. If I can get a factory new 8 speed sti shifter I would be happy.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Shimano produce DA 9speed? [beELzebubba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What? There is never an issue getting Campy parts...even old parts! Campy IS still producing 9 speed...and I know for a fact that you can still get spare parts for 7-8 from Quality and SBS.

At least with Campy you CAN get parts...just the other day I ordered pawl springs for a 1999 Shamal...lets see you get any pawl spring for any ShitmaNO hub.....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Shimano produce DA 9speed? [beELzebubba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8 speed Dura-Ace supposedly had the same cog spacing as current 9 speed. So a set of 9 speed levers should index properly with old DA-8. You would, of course, need to adjust the rear derailleur to remove one of the clicks.
Quote Reply
Re: How long will Shimano produce DA 9speed? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry John but I know from experience that this is incorrect. 8sp DA has wider sprockets and spacers than 9sp DA (resulting in the same overall cassette width) and the 8sp DA rear derailleur (RD 7401) is compatible ONLY with 8sp DA STI shifters (ST 7401). This is because the 8sp DA shifters pull less cable per 'click' than say Ultegra or 105 and the 8sp DA rear derailleur has a different parallelogram linkage to accomodate this.

Quote Reply