Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Resources for an olympic distance focus?
Quote | Reply
After finishing my first full this year, I'm looking to focus on the olympic distance next season. I am taking the next two weeks off from any structured workouts and want to build my off-season plan during this time. Unfortunately, the resources I keep finding all have an IM-focus. Although I get it - it is still frustrating. Can anyone recommend any training resources / strategy / reading that focuses more on the olympic distance than the almighty Ironman?
Quote Reply
Re: Resources for an olympic distance focus? [Apollo526] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's stuff out there. For example:

Trainerroad has some Oly plans. They seems to work OK.

Matt Fitzgerald 'Time Crunched' has some plans and info on olympic distances, which I've used to good effect when I was really busy.

I think Brad Kearns 'Breakthrough', which is old, has some info also.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Resources for an olympic distance focus? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'll definitely check these out. I have used the TrainerRoad Olympic distance plans before and agree that they are moderately useful. I am wanting to really focus on OD next year and test what I can do. To that end, I want to start focusing on the OD during the off season - not just during the specialty phase. Unfortunately, everything I read is focused toward IM and talks about the eventual need for 100 mi rides, etc. and how your off season can prepare you for that later ramp up. While I'm sure there are a lot of similarities between full and OD, I imagine there are a lot of differences too. OD, or short course below 70.3 in general, aren't mentioned in these articles. I'll definitely check out Fitzgerald and Kearns as well - thank you for the recommendations.

Has anyone worked with a coach that specializes in OD?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apollo526 wrote:
Has anyone worked with a coach that specializes in OD?

Never worked with a OD coach but there has been an OD related thread recently. I posted a link to a 13 week OD plan designed by Roland Knoll who coached a triathkete Jan Frodeno to his Olympic Gold Medal.
Might be worth a look, just stess the search function (and don‘t use a mobile device when looking up the plan if you‘d like to see th real value).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
race hard and race often. If i remember right you really wanted to make the Chicago tri your A race next year. between now and then you should race at least once a month, 5k, 10k, sprint, or oly. Get used to racing at the limit. I like to use the term, get comfortable being uncomfortable. Unlike ironman the recovery time on these races is short, like a day or two, you can easily race every 2 weeks. If you race a 5k, or 10k, you still need to ride your bike that day ;)

other than that, oly training isn't really different from 70.3. you could easily use a 70.3 plan that fits your desired volume and make a few tweaks and have it work for you. Also doing the short stuff you can get more aggressive on your bike fit. It only needs to be "comfortable" for an hour or so. Also you can do more training rides (i did almost all) on a road bike (think group shop rides, fun, fast, mixed tempo stuff, fun) because again, you dont have to be used to being in aero for 6 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Resources for an olympic distance focus? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the "start with a 70.3 plan" and "race often"

Take a 70.3 plan, cut out some of the longer bike rides (or rather reduce distances). Cut down the distance of the longest run (10 instead of 12 or more) but keep the swim distances the same....

Do as many Sprint events as possible to nail the transitions.
Quote Reply