Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Resale value of tri bike
Quote | Reply
I need to sell my DeVinci Leo T2 bike, and I wonder how one determines the value of a perfectly good bike that's over 10 years old? I think new it was worth about $3500-$4000. I have no idea what to list it for without looking greedy but I don't want to give it away.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absent some kind of anomaly related to that particular bike, like it was of very limited production or has some collector value, a 10+ year old bike is worth next to nothing.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, she is very pretty.
But yeah I think the reason I have been reluctant to bother listing it is there isn't much point. But it really isn't a comfortable ride, so it gathers dust and takes up space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
Well, she is very pretty.
But yeah I think the reason I have been reluctant to bother listing it is there isn't much point. But it really isn't a comfortable ride, so it gathers dust and takes up space.

I get it. I have a couple of bikes doing the same. They have no value so what’s the point in selling them. I’m moving in about seven weeks and I’m just going to give them to a friend and coworker who have expressed interest in doing some road cycling. I told them they can buy me lunch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the same boat. I have a 2008 Cervelo P2 C with Clincher 808/404 Zipps. I would love something else but having just turned 56 I know getting faster will come from fitness more than my bike. I also know it's really not worth much and the wheels are dated with all the disk brakes coming out. I also have a 2010 Giant TCR road bike.
My plan is to sell/give them away when I turn 60 and buy a good aero road bike I can set up for short course tri.

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My garage is half full for the same reason. Resale of most bikes over 3 or so years old is sadly the square root of feckall.

(Even worse on MTBs unless you have some really retro cool machine hiding away from 1987).

Only ones to buck that trend is the Brompton folder (as they are not much changed over 15+ years, amd are SO well designed) ? And the offspring's outgrown IslaBikes.
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Apr 30, 19 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [IAGLIYDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a tri bike that is too big (rookie mistake), and a road bike that's too small (friend purchase). I need to set them both free and get one that's juuust right. But that will require a cash infusion I can't supply right now. Hence, hoping the carbon frame bike had some worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thought... this thread is useless without it pics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
I need to sell my DeVinci Leo T2 bike, and I wonder how one determines the value of a perfectly good bike that's over 10 years old? I think new it was worth about $3500-$4000. I have no idea what to list it for without looking greedy but I don't want to give it away.

Thoughts?

There’s one on Ebay right now for $800. Start there.
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chose a price you are willing to accept and put it on LetItGo and see what happens. If no one wants it, no loss. If someone makes an offer, you can decide. No harm no foul.
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
Chose a price you are willing to accept and put it on LetItGo and see what happens. If no one wants it, no loss. If someone makes an offer, you can decide. No harm no foul.

That's essentially what we did with a 2008 P3 and a 2010 Avanti Team Chrono. We got what we were happy to accept. And it was way below what we paid. But they were sitting in a garage gathering dust with no likelihood of being used in 'anger' again.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there is a pretty big market out there for cheap tri bikes. All of us want to go fast, but not all of us can afford a P5X. If it's a smaller frame then it could be an ideal starter bike for a junior triathlete.

I am working on making a Youtube video called "Race bike on a budget" where I try to put together the most competitive bike I can for $800 ish dollars, and then test it's performance against my race bike (2011 Speed Concept) and a modern race bike (bike still to be determined)
My test bike will be built around a 2011 Specialized Transition frame.
It will be interesting to get some data on the just how our older bike compares to a more modern machine.
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [Jasonkiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Believe me brothers, it is way more profitable to give your bike to some one who could use it than sell it for dimes on dollars. I have given away a dozen or so bikes. How can one sell their brother? They are all worth more to me than I could sell them for. I worked so hard and gave away so much pain on all my bikes, do the honorable thing and give it to a good home. Peace out.
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The road bike I got was from a woman who kept it for years after she got a new one, and wanted to give her old bike a good home. I had borrowed it temporarily and after a month she offered it to me for a song. She knew I would be good to her 2-wheeled baby. In turn I sold her my old wetsuit for a song. Everybody's happy.

I need to suck it up and basically give it away, I know. But she was my first road bike...you never forget your first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pay it forward and donate it to a college tri club?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could get $1000 for it no problem. Anyone who thinks that is "next to nothing" has more money than they know what to do with. I say I say I wonder what all the poor chickens are doing this winter. Lot's of people would rather spend less and have an awesome older bike than sell a kidney for an equivalent new bike.

If you have the patience to wait for the right buyer on Craigslist you can get $1000-$1400 (40% of new is normal). That's a big deposit on a pretty great new bike. (the disclaimer is that if you don't live in a major metro area you'll never find the buyer on CL and need to look at Ebay)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
size matter too. (that's what she... whatever). A 54 or 56cm bike will sell fast. A 48 or a 61 will take a long time and therefore go for less.
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it had been a $1200 bike to begin with I'd have given it away long ago. It's a really nice carbon frame, so I have been dragging my feet at the notion it could only be worth $200. Might as well hang it on a wall and call it art.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If its got a decent wheel set you usually make more money stripping it and selling the parts. I have found the market for used aerobars surprisingly strong especially for clip on carbon bars. The cranks and brakes will also have a values unless they are unusual proprietary designs. The market for 10 speed wheels isn't great but its not dead either. The frameset may prove difficult to shift but you don't need a lot from it if you sell the other bits.
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [Jasonkiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jasonkiwi wrote:
I am working on making a Youtube video called "Race bike on a budget" where I try to put together the most competitive bike I can for $800 ish dollars, and then test it's performance against my race bike......and a modern race bike.......It will be interesting to get some data on the just how our older bike compares to a more modern machine.

If only someone had already done that.
https://drive.google.com/...c2pYSHJ1cVllUjQ/view

To the OP: Based on what I've seen used bikes (and wheels) go for the seller is often convinced their bike/wheel is worth much more than potential buyers consider it worth.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are people looking on the used market but you are not going to get top $$$

I recently bought a nice Used couple year old Scott plasma from a local guy. I wanted a second bike for on the trainer after a few years of family life and getting out of shape. My daughter is interested in racing and as challenged me to complete a few Tri's again. I am starting to get back into racing for fun. Having completed a few Tri's back in my early 20's im going to have some fun.

I have never used a Tri bike so the used market gave me an option to get into something with out spending a fortune. If i never use it or hate it Im not out of pocket to much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck trying to sell it but the used bike market sucks if your the seller looking for top dollar.

In my local bike shop (and you know what those prices are like) they are selling a 2018 Trek Madone E-Tap for $3,500. That is a steal at that price too bad it was the wrong size for me. If shops are deeply discounting used bikes the "average joe" will probably have to do the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
You could get $1000 for it no problem. Anyone who thinks that is "next to nothing" has more money than they know what to do with. I say I say I wonder what all the poor chickens are doing this winter. Lot's of people would rather spend less and have an awesome older bike than sell a kidney for an equivalent new bike.

If you have the patience to wait for the right buyer on Craigslist you can get $1000-$1400 (40% of new is normal). That's a big deposit on a pretty great new bike. (the disclaimer is that if you don't live in a major metro area you'll never find the buyer on CL and need to look at Ebay)

Zero chance he can get $1000 for 10+ year old bike that was $4000 at retail. If he did, buyer is a total moron. I’m sure it’s a lovely bike but the value just isn’t there. Look at Bicycle Blue Book. In my opinion their values are far too high and the realistic value is down in the fair to good range at maybe 75-80% of those ranges. One will never see Excellent or Very Good no matter the condition of the bike. Fair to Good is in the $600-$850 range. Drop 20% off that because of BBB inherently running too high and you’re at $480-$680. So let’s say $500 plus finding that exact buyer who is willing to buy an 11 year old bike. I’d just as soon give it away than go through the hassle of trying to sell an 11 year old bike for 10% value. But that’s me.

Quote Reply
Re: Resale value of tri bike [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but mine is going to be way less scientific. Lol

Seriously though that was a great article, and very thorough in terms of testing protocol. Was it posted here on ST?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Justicebeaver wrote:

Zero chance he can get $1000 for 10+ year old bike that was $4000 at retail. If he did, buyer is a total moron. I’m sure it’s a lovely bike but the value just isn’t there. Look at Bicycle Blue Book. In my opinion their values are far too high and the realistic value is down in the fair to good range at maybe 75-80% of those ranges. One will never see Excellent or Very Good no matter the condition of the bike. Fair to Good is in the $600-$850 range. Drop 20% off that because of BBB inherently running too high and you’re at $480-$680. So let’s say $500 plus finding that exact buyer who is willing to buy an 11 year old bike. I’d just as soon give it away than go through the hassle of trying to sell an 11 year old bike for 10% value. But that’s me.

BBB actually runs on the lower end of resale prices because they buy/sell bikes.

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next