Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacing R2C internals... Me or LBS?
Quote | Reply
I'm getting the internals replacement kit for my Zipp Vuka R2Cs. Is this something my LBS should work on or something a guy with a lot of experience with legos and pagan prayer can do in his garage? Do I need a microscope and robotic surgeon arms once I open the shifters up? It looks like a lot of little pieces.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing R2C internals... Me or LBS? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my experience it was work that was only done at Zipp as if you or the LBS open them then the warranty is void. YMMV.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I consider myself pretty good at DIY stuff, but putting that F%*$ing shifter back together nearly made me quit endurance sports all together.

I'd just send it back, they do it faster and generally under warranty too. Sometimes they just brake, nothing you can do about it. LBS did it for me, I think, but they may have sent it in. I got it back within a week, IIRC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it myself in about 10 minutes using very tiny needle-nose pliers to grab the round springy-thing. There is/was a powerpoint presentation with step-by-step directions on how to do it somewhere online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny timing on this post - I was just talking to the LBS about this one a few minutes ago.

My left Zipp R2C shifter went loose this weekend on a ride. I debated sending the shifter back to Zipp so as not to void the warranty. Then I figured that would just take longer to fix something that looks like an inherent design flaw and probably break again, so I brought to the LBS. I'm pretty lucky in that the mechanic at my LBS is amazing. Anyway, he took it apart and reset the spring according to the instructions on this page:

http://chamoischronicles.blogspot.ca/...er-problems-and.html

He said it was pretty finicky and took him a while to do it. His diagnosis of the problem is that people shift too hard. It's four clicks to go from one chain ring to the other (one to click off the chainring, two for trimming the derailleur, and another to click on to the next chainring.) You have to go through the four clicks slowly, and I know I was hauling pretty hard on that shifter.

The instructions on the website above are for SRAM, but SRAM and Zipp R2C shifters are almost identical when you open them up.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing R2C internals... Me or LBS? [ironmanjp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found it! http://www.zipp.com/...s/R2C-Rebuild-V2.ppt

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I'm getting the internals replacement kit for my Zipp Vuka R2Cs.

Return to Center shifters are affectionately known as "Return to Sender" at my LBS, because they are such a PITA to work on.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing R2C internals... Me or LBS? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. Yeah, with how tiny the pieces are, might as well build a circuit board and go electronic.

Quote Reply
Re: Replacing R2C internals... Me or LBS? [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just for kicks, I've had my rear shifter go "loose" and had LBS rebuild it (way outside warranty, so that was not a consideration).

AFTER THAT...

I've had it go loose once (only a 1,000 miles or so after rebuild) and was able to get it to shift by "tugging the (right hand) shifter to the right while shifting up and down)."

I think there's a slot slot for a shift sprint/cog and it sometimes gets out, resulting in expletives mid-ride. Thas maneuver saved me.

"Solid" since.....

I like the RTC shifters, but I no longer trust 'em.

========================
"The instructions on the website above are for SRAM, but SRAM and Zipp R2C shifters are almost identical when you open them up."

I believe they ARE identical, expect for the external shift lever. And yea, the rebuild kit has lots of silly tiny little pieces. Fragile little bugger.
Last edited by: CharlesYTri: Jun 9, 15 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing R2C internals... Me or LBS? [Cyronman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had an issue with my force 22 rtc shifter and couldn't agree more with this sentiment. 3 hours later ill never ever ever ever touch them again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sram R2c shifter(rear) broke during 2014 IM Wisconsin. Bike support got me going again, but I had to ride
56 miles in fixed gear (Dont know if youve heard...Wisonsin has a couple of hills on the bike course).

I had the R2C repaired at LBS. They didnt even last another year. Replaced them with the standard tt 500 shifter.

No problems.

My 2 cents. You can fix them...but your only buying time. They will break again soon. Replace them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need help... Anyone kept this file. Can't find it anymore on the internet!
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing R2C internals... Me or LBS? [Higher5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what are you looking to do? i have several sets of R2Cs and have fully rebuilt them using rebuild kit sold by Sram/Zipp.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing R2C internals... Me or LBS? [Higher5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/2016_sram_spc_reva.pdf

page 24 shows exploded view.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing R2C internals... Me or LBS? [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The R2C cannot engage, seems it lacks friction when I pull the lever....

I checked the spring inside is seating correctly and I had also tried to increase the torque (on the 5mm bolt holding the red metal cap) to increase friction... but it still doesn't work.
Quote Reply