Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replace Canyon Speedmax headset bearings
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Does anyone has experience in replacing the headset bearings of a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX? My bearings are not fresh anymore and need to be replaced. On my roadbikes I always do this myself but the SM is a bit more complicated. For example the Di2 cables, do they need to come loose? Will Di2 just work again if I reconnect? Do I need special tools?

Hope one of you guys knows this :)
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Canyon Speedmax headset bearings [david222] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David,

I had the Speedmax CF which is the model just before the SLX (the original model Jan rode on). Because I'm in the US I built this bike after Canyon shipped it and then broke it down before I sold it, so I know the headset bearings pretty well. That said I am only assuming the SLX is similar or the same.

On the CF there are 2 steerer bearing rings - one on top of the frame section where the fork sits and one on the bottom which is essentially between the frame and fork.

So you'd have to loosen and disassemble the front end. Theoretically you wouldn't have to unplug the Di2 wires but you'll probably have to release the front brake cable as that runs through that section of the frame and the bearings. Assuming the front junction is in the stem compartment, I'd just pull those wires too (disconnect them from the front junction). Once you reassemble you can just plug those back in and you should have no problems with function.

Once you have the front end apart you should easily find the bearings to replace or clean and reassemble. I looked at the assembly form for the SLX and it looks similar to the CF, but it does not show the headset. I do have a PDF Speedmax Overview Drawing for the CF, which is like an XRay of the bike. The team at Canyon were kind enough to send this to me, but I understand they generally ship bikes with the headset built, so I think this sheet is for internal use.

Hope that helps. PM me your email and I can send you the "drawing" sheet I referred to above, but note it's for the CF
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Canyon Speedmax headset bearings [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just happened across this. Canyon advised that I would need to remove the brake cables to change the bearings which seems like an enormous pita. Do you know if this is correct or is there a way around it. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Canyon Speedmax headset bearings [ade__h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will definitely need to pull the front brake cable but most likely not the rear. The front brake cable runs in the middle of the two bearing rings. But truthfully this is very easy to do as the can get away with just pulling the cable from the brake calipers and not the bars and/or brake lever. You may need to pull the Di2 cables but only at the front junction box so it's as easy as plug and play.
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Canyon Speedmax headset bearings [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. Hmmm, having had a closer look it seems the rear cable runs through the centre along with the front cable (at least the top bearing) so it looks like that would have to be removed as well. :-(
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Canyon Speedmax headset bearings [ade__h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh bummer. It’s not too bad though if you’re somewhat handy with the bike. I am not a machanic and was able to build up the whole bike.
Quote Reply