Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Repacked Bearings Loud and Slow
Quote | Reply
I recently took my bike into a new to me local shop to have the headset bearings replaced and the bottom bracket bearings repacked.

After I got my bike home, I went to put on my new chain and my bottom bracket felt stiff. I know a spin test isn't a real method for testing resistance and I don't have a power meter, but something didn't seem right. With a gentle push on the pedals I was only getting maybe a rotation and a half before they stopped. This is with no chain on the bike so the only resistance should be the bottom bracket. It also had a slight grinding sound.

I took it dropped it back at the shop for the same mechanic to have a look at. I was told that extra resistance and a little noise is normal after the bearings are freshly packed in grease.

My question is, is this normal? Is this real? I'm not expert bike mechanic so I don't know, but I also don't want to blindly trust this single source information. I did read the Park Tool Ceramic Bearings article and saw no mention of anything like this.
Quote Reply
Re: Repacked Bearings Loud and Slow [Vigilante] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What brand and model is the bottom bracket?
Quote Reply
Re: Repacked Bearings Loud and Slow [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hawk Racing ENG threaded
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A repacked bearing will have more resistance then one that has a few miles on it. It could well be over packed with grease that should sort itself after a few rides. As long as it feels smooth and no load as you turn it with you hand I wouldn't be too worried about it until you have ridden it a few times. As for the grinding sound I would be concerned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano or SRAM?
Quote Reply
Re: Repacked Bearings Loud and Slow [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FSA SL-K Crankset
Last edited by: Vigilante: Mar 25, 19 15:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The non-drive side crank arm might be over-torqued.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't repacked a bottom bracket since the Dura-Ace Octalink BBs with the needle bearings.

If this BB has cartridge bearings like most new BBs, just replace the bearings or entire BB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vigilante wrote:
FSA SL-K Crankset

Do a search for Hawk BB's on slowtwitch......
They are abec 3 (basic), non stainless unless you paid extra, and listed as non servicable.
If going to the trouble of opening up something you should have just thrown in the bin, you should have just pressed in some new cartridges, common size, cheap as chips, takes minutes. You can even do this without taking the cups out of the frame.
Quote Reply