Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Renn disc
Quote | Reply
Anybody know;

1. The current wait for a Renn disc ?

2. Are clinchers available ? 3 months isn't enough time for me to learn to change a tubular.

3. When the wheel arrives is it simply a case of sticking a cassette on the back?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Renn disc [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
current wieght is ... from putting mine on the scale... 1,190g

i am not sure, but i think there are clinchers... But it will only take you about 3 minutes to learn how to change a tubular... Not 3 months... There is WAY too much propoganda against tubulars... The clincher manufactureres are probably telling the lies to start with... Tubulars are better and faster...

Yes... When you get the wheel... you throw on a cassete and a tire and a skewer... And WOOSH!!!

Also... you might want to pull off that UGLY RENN logo sticker... Acctually, all 3 of them... Damn there ugly...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I don't know. In April/May I waited for about 5 weeks.

2. Yes, I have a 700c clincher. With todays clincher there is no difference between clincher and tubular tires. Clinchers are a bit heavier and tubulars are more expensive. If you feel more comfortable with clinchers (like me) go for them.

3. Yes. You just need the tool to fix the cassette.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As stated in another post, the 700c Tubular is 1,190 grams and the 700c clincher is at 1300 grams....Right in there (actually a little lighter) than either of the Hed discs ($500-$700), same or lighter than the Mavic Comete ($1,695)...And, well, we know the Corima, Zipp and Accell are lighter, but at nearly 3 times the price.

I just purchased a Renn, 700c Tubular...Can someone reassure me that I'll be faster than I could ever imagine.....(-:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank has had a few weird turns of luck. Two or more weeks ago, there was a G'd awful storm that wiped out power for nearly two weeks in Memphis. He was scheduled to go to Europe for a week to visit his mum and pick up his girlfriend. His power had gone out once again and erased his answering machine messages. HE is a bit behind right now.

Despite that, he will get you a disc in about five weeks. And get a tubular, which is the only real race wheel. Clinchers are only good for training. Just get a proper cassette tool, pop that baby on, find my tubular mounting instructions (or look on Slowtwitch) and you'll have a race-worthy wheel in about a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Renn Discs rock. In the three races I've used my Renn disc I won 2 of them and the third qualified for Hawaii (IM LP). One race I won by 6 seconds. No question the disc was the difference. BTW clinchers and discs don't go together.
Quote Reply
Re: Renn disc [TriPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone reassure me that the disk can hold up to a clyde (6'2" 215#)?

Any clyde Renn Disk owners out there?

I tried to get a response from Renn - but they have not got back to me yet (emailed them fri.)

thx

put the mettle to the pedal
Quote Reply
Re: Renn disc [brettc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine in our local club bought a Renn around Christmas. He's 6'1" and tips the scales at 240. No problems so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Renn disc [brettc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renns are made for all but the very biggest out there. Most Clydes are fine.

Frank was in Europe picking up his girlfriend and visiting his mum. You would be best to call him up. Number is on the website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As of yesterday (8/12/03) the wait is 2-3 weeks. I talked to Frank and ordered a wheel. He did say that in about 4 weeks or so that they have a wheel that is 80g lighter and has a different hub for about $400.

Seriously consider tubular tires. No real hassle in a race wheel and faster to change.

Stick a cassette on the freehub, add a skewer and off you go.

1*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just called Renn to check on the status of the disc I ordered, and they assured me that I'll get it a couple of days before my race on the 23rd (talk about cutting it close!). Current lead-time for a 700c clincher (I know, I know...) is 4 weeks. A couple of little tips that they shared:

1) you don't need to put rim tape on the whole rim, but a little bit around the valve hole is recommended.
2) they recommend a 48mm valve stem. With this length stem you can supposedly get a pump head on there without an adapter. Only problem is, I haven't been able to find any tubes with a 48mm valve stem online anywhere yet. (all are either 36m or 60mm). I'll keep searching...
Quote Reply
Re: Renn disc [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
2) they recommend a 48mm valve stem. With this length stem you can supposedly get a pump head on there without an adapter. Only problem is, I haven't been able to find any tubes with a 48mm valve stem online anywhere yet. (all are either 36m or 60mm). I'll keep searching...[/reply]

I use a 36mm valve stem and can use a normal pump without adapter. You can bend out a 36mm valve stem enough.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply