Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Removing decals from flat black framesets
Quote | Reply
I've got a 2014 Specialized Allez Race with the flat black frameset and red decals. There is a TON of red on this frame and i'd like to tone it down a little. Anyone ever remove decals from a frame like this? They aren't under clear coat but i'm concerned with scratching the flat black underneath since it seems super easy to scratch. Anyone?

Quote Reply
Re: Removing decals from flat black framesets [jeff.ehret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try a hair dryer to warm up the stickers then peel them off. May need to use acetone afterwards to get any glue residue off. I did this to get the stickers off my Zipps, I'm assuming it would work with a frame. Although if the frame is painted, try WD-40 instead of the acetone. Works well on glue residue. I find the acetone works better but not sure if it would take any of the paint off. You would be safe with WD-40.
Try it in an inconspicuous place first. Planning on doing the same to a couple of stickers on my frame, haven't gotten around to it yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Removing decals from flat black framesets [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've taken plenty of decals off wheels and helmets with a hair dryer and goo gone. Works like a champ. However these don't appear to be simple vinyl decals. If they are then they're very high quality. There is a small scratch in one and I can see the flat black underneath. My concern would be marking up the flat black. It doesn't have a clear coat on it to protect it during removal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I admit to no experience with these particular decals and paintjob, but I must warn of the possibility that even if you cleanly remove the decals and any adherent residue, there may be "ghosting" . If this were a hard, shiny surface paint, I would be far less concerned, but with the flat black it might depend on how much exposure to the sun has occurred, which would make the area protected by the decals a darker shade.
I would try to talk to an experienced frame painter and get his opinion (which would be worth far more than mine which is worth about what it cost - squat!)
Quote Reply
Re: Removing decals from flat black framesets [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ghosting is a good point. It's a 2014 frame that was barely ridden by it's previous owner so that probably wouldn't be a huge deal but it's a risk for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to NAPA and pickup some "3M" wood grain remover.....it will take it right off and not hurt the finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Removing decals from flat black framesets [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That won't hurt the flat black finish? Have you tried it? Any pics of results?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No pic.s but I've used it to "Blackout" my bike and we use it on our fleet trucks. Never had a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Removing decals from flat black framesets [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so you used a hair dryer or heat gun to remove the decals and then used the 3M product to remove residue or you just sprayed it over the decals and it removed them? was this on a flat colored frame with no clear coat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just the 3M product......used it gloss, flat, mat, clear , no clear. Not to difficult
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reviving an old thread

Did you end up using the 3M product without any damage to your paint?

My buddy has a [matte] black Canyon Aeroad and is thinking of putting some red accent striping stickers on, but doesn't want to ruin the paint if he decides to take them off a few months later.

Anybody here have experience with stickers on Canyon black paint?
Quote Reply
Re: Removing decals from flat black framesets [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:
Reviving an old thread

Did you end up using the 3M product without any damage to your paint?

My buddy has a [matte] black Canyon Aeroad and is thinking of putting some red accent striping stickers on, but doesn't want to ruin the paint if he decides to take them off a few months later.

Anybody here have experience with stickers on Canyon black paint?

I'm going to be doing something similar to my 2013 Scott Foil, but I plan to use vinyl wrap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW5ox-1dXlM
Quote Reply