Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Related to Ironman food: Anyone try "E-Caps" or "Race Caps"?
Quote | Reply
Have any of you guys had expereince with "E-Caps" or "Race Caps". One of the guys in the store who is a pretty good X-Terra racer has used them with success (Eric Justice).
Let me know your thoughts on these... I have to experiment with this stuff well in advance of Sept 7!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Related to Ironman food: Anyone try "E-Caps" or "Race Caps"? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got some E-Caps "Race Day Boost" that I will be trying out, it apparently acts as a lactic acid buffer and allows an 8% increase in my LT tolerence so I can push harder without my muscles blowing.
Quote Reply
Re: Related to Ironman food: Anyone try "E-Caps" or "Race Caps"? [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you think of it let us know the results. Happy New Year!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Related to Ironman food: Anyone try "E-Caps" or "Race Caps"? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over the last year training for Gulf Coast 1/2 IM and IM Florida I committed to using several E-Caps products. Race caps and Enduro Caps daily plus ATP 100 on long rides and race day boost before my two A races. To be honest, I noticed very little if any difference in performance. Next season, I'll save my money and buy a computrainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Related to Ironman food: Anyone try "E-Caps" or "Race Caps"? [JustinB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also tried the e-caps and race caps in 2001, but stopped for 2002. I felt no difference. I was a supplement junkie, buying almost everything. Money became an issue and I just eat well and spend money on accelerade and endurox only. A little coffee before training helps too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Tom, but I've tried a lot of different supplements over the past couple of decades...heck, I remember trying Endurox when it was only available in pill form ...not to mention damn near overdosed on vitamin E (bad idea btw - duh!) because I read somewhere it made horses run faster - I'm not kidding either (see, 2nd edition Nutrition Almanc pg 57 - "Vit, E and Muscular Stamina of Racehorse", Shute and Gutterson). Also, although I can't find the reference...I also read a study that rats who were given large doses of vit. E managed to live longer when placed in vacuum. What the hell! ....rats and horses...bound to be a study that says it will help a human - right?

Over the years, I have tried a lot of different supplements (and lets on forget Pro-Hydrator - yuk! sugar content so high it gave me a headache). What I have come to the conclusion is that most of what I use before, during and after a race revolves around keeping it simple.

I guess I'm a bit old school. But, here is what works for me:

I eat during, before and after a race (or training) is watermelon and/or cantalope. This is basicly the poor mans version of Pro-hydrator. Serves as a carbo and sugar equivalent...hmmm... sounds a lot like the power gels with lot's of water already added. The only problem is that melons are not as easy to store as power gels. I solved that problem by making melon puree and freezing them in squeeze bottles.

Night before the race, I like to eat steak and/or chicken (specially for long courses). The more protein and fat...the more energy I seem to have. What I don't have is caffeine before a race - too much of a diuretic for me.

OK, so this isn't hi-tech (which is contrary to what I how I usually approach triathlons). But, it works for me.

As for E-Caps, yep... tried them also...same results as all the other supplement I've used...not much of difference from just a healthy diet that does include colloidal minerals mixed with water. I neither gained nor lost results. If you decided to try it, hope it works.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using E-Caps and Hammer Nutrition for a couple of years. I did my last two IMs with nothing but. I also use the products while training. The first thing I noticed was how much better I recovered from my training. Better recovery today means better training tomorrow. During my long workouts and IMs, I use Sustained Energy with a number of E-Cap products. No one I know who uses this stuff has had any of the problems you so often hear about: bonking, bloating, barfing, etc. I strongly suggest that you visit the website at www.e-caps.com and read about the products. They cost pretty much what other stuff does. The main difference is that they use no simple sugars, colorings, flavorings or fancy lableing. A lot of pros and AGers use these products.
Quote Reply
Re: Related to Ironman food: Anyone try "E-Caps" or "Race Caps"? [FFO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FFO, better recovery means better training tomorrow...that seems to be the key. I'm not sure much of this stuff taken during the race, other than for energy, (and PERHAPS waste product buffering), does much good. It's the recovery from each training bout that is so important, allowing you to work harder, sooner. Personally, I like Payday Candy Bars after a hard workout!

If I've done a long, hard run, i'll take Endurox. When I forget to take the Endurox, I am a sometimes a little sore the next day...might be something to the antioxidant theory there, perhaps vitamin C or E after a hard run would do the same for me. Or, perhaps I can only remember Endurox after I do the hard runs that aren't so hard...so I just THINK it works!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried ecaps, but I have used liquid endurance, made by ecaps. My LBS gave me this to try, and I used it several times before my last race of the year, (tri-america in florida). My finishing time, on a trek 1000, was a 2:18.50. I am from PA, so most of my races are alot more hilly, but I'm not used to that humidity, or the heat, either. My previous best time in an oly. tri is a 2:30.00. I know its tough to compare races but i used the liq. endurace at Florida. I can't say that that was what made me move, but I can say one thing, next year, it will be in my head that it helps. If it gives me nothing but the mental edge it gave me last year, its good enough for me. I would have to do some more experimenting, though, to give you a definate answer if it gives a major physical edge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pop Tarts with peanut butter before a race. Gels and sugar water (e.g. diluted Gatorade, lemonade, sports drink) during a race. For longer races I've had great luck digesting Awrey's Date & Nute bars -- even while running. My only supplements are glucosamine and calcium citrate.
Quote Reply
Re: Related to Ironman food: Anyone try "E-Caps" or "Race Caps"? [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the whole E-Cap/Hammer Nutrition regimen when I train and compete. I tested each supplement or fuel during my long training runs and rides. Without doubt it made a significant difference. I take these products on a regular basis: Race Caps, Enduro Caps, PIC multivitamin, AO [anti-oxident], Endurolytes [electrolytes], Anti-fatigue Caps, Hammer Gel and Sustained Energy. These are not "magic bullets." I put in lots of hours training. My coach believes that these products have helped me remain at a higher level of fitness than if I were using other products. My coach is a world class runner and coaches at a big name sports bar company. He is always sceptical about new products and waits till he tests them himself. We did the Death Ride together and he followed my usage recommendations. He claims he felt much better at the end than he had expected. It took me awhile to come around to these products. I did not trust all their claims. But after using them for the last two years, I can say they work. Although I think they can help any triathlete, I think the longer the event the more helpful they become. E-Caps sponsers a number of RAAM riders and Western States 100 folks. BTW, I do not work for E-Caps and get nothing for promoting its products. And I have cut two hours off my IM time since I started IMs in 2000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I think these are a great product, IF--and I emphasize IF--you are one of those athletes who needs some kind of supplement for salt loss during sustained exercise. I'm a big guy, sweat a lot, and find myself in trouble in long events if I'm not replacing sodium, etc. This is a good product for that.

I think you realize, given your immense experience, that these aren't some silver bullet that are going to help you knock 30 sec off of each mile. IF you need this kind of supplement, however, this is one of the best ones to use.

Ben H

Christian, Husband, Father, Ranger, Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I have used E-Caps for about 4 years and had good success with them. I like the Sustained

Energy the best. They do not use any sugars which for me on long workouts seems to work

well. I hate sugar after 80 miles on the bike. But I use SE, HGel, Premium Insurance Caps,

Super AO, Anti-Fatigue Caps. 2003 should be another interesting season on E-Caps.

Does it work................well this year at IMUSA i was able to take 2 hours and 7 minutes

off my first IRONMAN and being a flatlander, I truely believe that SE/HGel combination

was key. So it was either this combination OR your bike shop for fitting me perfectly

on my R600 YELLOW HORNET.

Give E-Caps a try, great website and lots of profiles. Something is working for them.

Thanks

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swear by Sustained Enduance and Hammer Gel and have the E-Caps and Race Caps here to try (I'm waiting until I ramp my training back up).

I can really tell the difference with SE and HG versus others nutritional approaches (other gels, bars, gatorpoweraid, etc) and have used them in an IM with good results. However, I expect I will never have tangible evidence on supplements, one has to take them somewhat on faith.

That said, the company provides good summaries of (others) ergongenic research, etc., so I think they are trying to provide the right stuff. Check out their website and read some of the literature first, the investment of time would probably be worthwhile.

Hammernutrition.com, I think.

As I've gotten older, the peanut butter on pop-tarts approach to training has become sketchy for me... I'm in my 40's... this stuff is more important as a Master I think.

best luck

EP
Quote Reply
Re: Related to Ironman food: Anyone try "E-Caps" or "Race Caps"? [swimbikebus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify, I don't train with peanut butter on PopTarts. That's just a pre-race breakfast ritual. I'm normally an oatmeal & blueberries kind of guy, but that doesn't work for me before a running race. I've found oats can lead to intestinal discomfort and (I believe) ulcerations. I imagine it's the motion combined with the fiber. I'm 39, but I don't act it.
Quote Reply