Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Regulate bottle cage strength?
Quote | Reply
Came across this article on VN about G's crash and while it is a good reminder of just how silly some of their rules are, that maybe they should still have some more. I actually like this idea quite a bit keeping in mind IM's many looped courses. Granted, a big part of the issue in triathlon is that people just drop their bottles but something like this could at least reduce the amount of bottles on course. Thoughts?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Regulate bottle cage strength? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UCI don't necessarily need more rules. They could have a '1 in, 1 out' policy
Sock height could go...
No one has been injured by socks, bidons rolling back into the peloton are a proven danger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ejected the bottle behind my seat in races but that is more due to the fact that the cage is mounted almost horizontal and same reason I have seen a majority of ejected, not dropped bottles on a tri course. Most cages are oriented the wrong way by design in regards to gravity and the forces needed to hold a bottle over bumps for a BTS application. Even the Xlab Gorilla cage, the premier strength cage on the market I found would eject full bottles.

While building my last bike I stumbled along the Supacaz SaddleX cage that is oriented opposite to most cages and suits almost horizontal mounting as is with my Dash saddle. One can only assume the name is in reference as to where the cage is designed to be mounted and not a bike frame? I can now only find them on Ebay and not on the Supacaz site so maybe no longer being made by them but having the longest raised tab of the cage UNDER the bottle gives it the best chance of retaining my hydration until I need it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPACAZ-SaddleX-Cages-All-Colors/174147039465?hash=item288bf8f0e9:g:n-

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBVQ-JpBvYv/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFYGSETBLSHuTZQkem3X0FNzgYVV8Bq-J52SyA0/gAAOSwBGReEr7t
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to implement, since the orientation of the cage has a huge impact on the ability of a cage to not launch a bottle.

Even an xlab gorilla cage will occasionally launch BTS bottles mounted under the seat (since the downward force of the bottle works to force the cage open), while a much flexier cage with a less compressive grip may never launch bottles when mounted on the downtube.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Regulate bottle cage strength? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, here's a guy that home rigged a test machine: https://www.youtube.com/...;ab_channel=BermPeak

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad idea for triathlons. The aid stations hand out water bottles, etc and they don't fit every bottle cage out there. I have seen them all over the ground before. They are no different and a refillable water bottle that gets launched. Its something you have to look out for like potholes, dogs, cars, people, etc. and any other hazard that will cause you to crash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could see a solution in road cycling in which they recommended certain cages for certain bottles. It appears all bottles in the TdF are the same. If so, there isn't a reason they can't match it with a solid bottle option.

For triathlon, I don't see it working as well. There is just too much variation in bottle options and positions.
Quote Reply
Re: Regulate bottle cage strength? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Camelbak is a shitty bottle that doesn't click well into the cage. I don't know why people don't notice it. Stop using it. You can use a heat gun to make the cage tighter.
That's what I did to mine and it's absolutely secure. There was a railroad track at Augusta 70.3 and oh my goodness. I think I saw about 30 bottles there. Some people are idiots and they have no clue their ignorance can hurt other people. Yes, I fell because of bottles and dodged so many of them in races and bike rallies.
Quote Reply
Re: Regulate bottle cage strength? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far, I've used all sizes and shapes of Camelbaks, the large Purist bottles, some from Prime Products Inc. I have yet to lose any of them off a Tri-Cage. Can't say the same for my prior Specialized cages, but those were at a different angle and different shape.

I do find on the Camelbaks that I feel better if I rotate the bottle so that the cage tabs mates up to a better spot on the bottle indent.
Quote Reply
Re: Regulate bottle cage strength? [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
So far, I've used all sizes and shapes of Camelbaks, the large Purist bottles, some from Prime Products Inc. I have yet to lose any of them off a Tri-Cage. Can't say the same for my prior Specialized cages, but those were at a different angle and different shape.

I do find on the Camelbaks that I feel better if I rotate the bottle so that the cage tabs mates up to a better spot on the bottle indent.

Camelbak redid its bottles to have a consistent indent. The variable indent would come loose from my BTA cage if it was seated on one of the raised ridges.

Older bottle with variable indent:

Newer bottle (3.0):

Quote Reply
Re: Regulate bottle cage strength? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I've ejected the bottle behind my seat in races but that is more due to the fact that the cage is mounted almost horizontal and same reason I have seen a majority of ejected, not dropped bottles on a tri course. Most cages are oriented the wrong way by design in regards to gravity and the forces needed to hold a bottle over bumps for a BTS application. Even the Xlab Gorilla cage, the premier strength cage on the market I found would eject full bottles.

While building my last bike I stumbled along the Supacaz SaddleX cage that is oriented opposite to most cages and suits almost horizontal mounting as is with my Dash saddle. One can only assume the name is in reference as to where the cage is designed to be mounted and not a bike frame? I can now only find them on Ebay and not on the Supacaz site so maybe no longer being made by them but having the longest raised tab of the cage UNDER the bottle gives it the best chance of retaining my hydration until I need it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPACAZ-SaddleX-Cages-All-Colors/174147039465?hash=item288bf8f0e9:g:n-

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBVQ-JpBvYv/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFYGSETBLSHuTZQkem3X0FNzgYVV8Bq-J52SyA0/gAAOSwBGReEr7t

Topeak makes a nylon and carbon version of the same concept. Not as elegant/light as the SuperCaz, but cheaper and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/...levers/dp/B078J3696R

Last edited by: Titanflexr: Oct 8, 20 11:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the cage I've been using. It works awesome.

On the Camelbaks, I've been using the top ones and would certainly agree on rotating the bottle to line up the indent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UCI doesn't need more regulation. And if it did, cage strength is an asinine place to start

I would guarantee more bottles cause issues after being dropped/missed in feed zones or ditched by riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing I don’t like about the Topeak design is the split where it is. With a more horizontal cage like I have on my Dash when you ride over a large bump or railway line the forces jolt especially a heavy full bottle down effectively opening the split and grip on the bottle for that brief instant. As stronger grip as a gorilla cage has that is why they still eject. It is a better designed cage for a BTS application but still a flawed design IMO.
Quote Reply