Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Regular GU vs. Roctane
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowtwitchers...have any of you noticed any difference between the regular energy powder? I was told by a store that for endurance rides I should use the Roctane rather than the regular one which of course is more expensive. Of course I know I will have to try it myself but wanted to know if anyone else has tried both and what their opinion is. Thanks.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Regular GU vs. Roctane [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I felt no difference between the two gels other than my wallet being lighter. Maybe the drink is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the difference is more electrolytes, more caffeine, and more amino acids.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Regular GU vs. Roctane [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!!

Quote Reply
Re: Regular GU vs. Roctane [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I noticed that on the packaging but was wondering if anyone who has tried them both noticed any difference so unofficial survey. Did you notice any difference?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like I get a better "pick me up" from the Roctane late in marathons, but it could be all in my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, BCAAs and I believe a bit more electrolytes and/or caffeine depending on the flavor. I have pretty much switched to just Octane as it feels to be much longer lasting and effective for me. I remember hearing to was better for efforts over 1 1/2 hours. I can dig a bit deeper if you want.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I remember right Roctane also has a Lactic Acid Buffering agent, to help prevent the buildup of Lactic Acid. Personally GU bothers me, so I do not use it, but when I used to use it that was one of the benefits that I had seen over the two types.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the GU site:

The biggest difference between Roctane Energy Gels and normal GU Energy Gels is more branch-chained amino acids (BCAAs) and the addition of the amino acids beta alanine and taurine. Roctane Energy Drink Mix also has a boosted supply of BCAAs and includes beta alanine and taurine. Meanwhile Roctane Electrolyte Capsules are a highly portable way to help you fight dehydration with high levels of sodium, vitamin D, vitamin B6, and ginger root to help prevent nausea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Yeah I noticed that on the packaging but was wondering if anyone who has tried them both noticed any difference so unofficial survey. Did you notice any difference?

Yes, I have used both traditional GU and Roctane I am happy to pay the extra dollar on race day for the Roctane packs. I can feel a tangible different between Roctane and traditional GU packs.

Plus, if you rotate your nutrition (sports drink, amrita bar, gu) like me...you can get away with taking fewer GU packs.
Quote Reply
Re: Regular GU vs. Roctane [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback...my stomach doesn't do well with gels but I can do the chews, some natural food bars and some other stuff to mix it up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Thanks for the feedback...my stomach doesn't do well with gels but I can do the chews, some natural food bars and some other stuff to mix it up.

It sounds like the Roctane product is the answer for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of their drink too. The Roctane drink has far outperformed Gatorade, UCAN, Skratch, First Endurance and some others for me. I also use it mixed with Carbopro for my high calorie drink. I'm a huge fan of the Lemon Berry as it is a nice fresh taste but mixed lower in concentration is a good pick me up. Hope you find what works well for you.....
Quote Reply
Re: Regular GU vs. Roctane [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I have ordered some and will try it on my 3 hour ride this weekend and a bit on my long run to test it out. Thanks again ST's.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Thanks I have ordered some and will try it on my 3 hour ride this weekend and a bit on my long run to test it out. Thanks again ST's.

Good luck finding your solution.
Quote Reply