Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Refilling on the go - need some advice
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

For IM distance races I've typically used on-course Gatorade Endurance and gotten by ok. However, I find towards the end of the race that the sweetness gets to me and I tend to not want to drink it. I've never had a major GI distress issue, and I've always been able to force it down, but I'm looking at other options.

Recently I've been using Skratch on longer rides in training and I really like it. I'm considering racing with it but the logistics are a little complicated. My current setup is simply two bottles behind the seat (Xlab Gorillas on a Canyon CF 8.0). It seems like there are three options for racing with Skratch:

1) Add an aero bottle and refill either via a concentrated bottle or single serve packs. I don't love this option because I don't really like aero bottles. I've raced with the Torhans 20 and XLab Torpedo and both put the bottle and/or computer too close to my face.
2) Put a couple bottles in special needs. I've never stopped for special needs but it seems sub-optimal and a bit risky.
3) Refill on the go via on-course water bottles and single serve packets. This seems reasonable except for the time penalty. I would have to stop, remove the bottle cap, fill from the Skratch pack, and go.

My question is are there options I'm not thinking of, short of loading my bike down with additional bottles. I like the simplicity & aero benefit of the two behind the seat bottles but it certainly seems to demand a tradeoff in on-course fueling flexibility.

Thanks for any insight!
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling on the go - need some advice [matthewbward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The easiest solution is to reconsider your stance on the aero bottle BTA. I've had good luck in the past with adding single-serve powder to a BTA on the fly. I'm a heavy sweater, so I like to make my own Gatorade powder with extra salt mixture. I put my homemade powder mixture in those small round plastic tubes that mini M&Ms come in...but I'm sure any single serve retail package would work, too. The M&m tubes are great, because the top/cap flips open with a single thumb flick, and the top stays attached to the tube. I keep the M&M tubes in the bento box. I like to add the powder to the empty bottle just prior to the aid station. That way, when I squeeze the water bottle contents into my BTA bottle, it gets mixed well.
Quote Reply