Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Redeeming the lunch hour
Quote | Reply
I understand many of you utilize your lunch hour to get in a workout. What kind of workout are you doing? Does your employer have a shower? I'm trying to figure out a way to do this but don't have a shower at my office.

Any creative methods out there for this extra time?
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming the lunch hour [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
I understand many of you utilize your lunch hour to get in a workout. What kind of workout are you doing? Does your employer have a shower? I'm trying to figure out a way to do this but don't have a shower at my office.

Even an hour of stretching and basic callisthenics can be helpful.

We are lucky here to have a shower, an hour to get a workout in, weights/gym, and a stable of bikes to ride and perfect weather 300 days a year to enjoy them.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:

Here are a few things I do which help:
  • Have everything ready to go. Swim gear, run clothes / garmin, or bike stuff.
  • Live really close to work. Like 5 minutes.
  • Swim at a facility near your work. For me, I have a couple different gyms, YMCA, and open water in the summertime.
  • Bike Trainer. Embrace it.
  • Lunch hour is not the best time to bike, but I can usually manage a good run or decent swim.
  • Have a plan.
If I didn't have access to a shower, I would get my workouts done before or after work. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming the lunch hour [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just take a hooker shower and use deoderant.

Then again I don't work in an office either.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming the lunch hour [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't say I know what a "hooker shower" is.

I'm guessing you're suggesting some sort of wet wipes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where I work, it's easiest to get a run in at lunch.

We have a shower, but it's also the mop room which makes it an unattractive option most of the time.

There are some "instant shower" type products out there such as these http://www.performancebike.com/...052_10551_1058944_-1___ that might help.

If you work close to a YMCA/YWCA it certainly makes it a lot easier to get in a treadmill run, swim, stationary bike and a shower after however the easiest way to maximize workout time at lunch is to not shower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just wipe your sweaty parts off with a wash cloth or wipes like you suggested, then you are ready to go back to work.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a gym really close to work you can join? If so, you could do a workout before work (either in the gym or cycle/run to the gym) and shower there, maybe get a quick workout at lunchtime or go straight there after work; if it's close it will save you time regardless.

....or how about getting a camping solar shower, and using it in the car park? ;-p

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do bike rides during my lunch hour in the winter time, when it's too dark for post work rides. There's a bike lane on the road in front of my work with little traffic (read: safe). I bring a wipe and/or towel to wipe off along with basic hygiene materials (deodorant, perfume). Works pretty well and a few coworkers like to stop and discuss bikes (bike is my cube-mate).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one more reason to pay extra for the GFE!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used to bird-bath(wash-cloth) before my company built our new building with fitness center...

since i have two kids, here's my suggestion:

http://www.target.com/...ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

and pack all your stuff the night before as already mentioned.

Yoga is another thing that might be worth trying and you won't get too sweaty:

http://www.thetriathletestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=2348

"...I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) ... And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast." - Jordan Rapp on '09 IMC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easiest for me is to swim. Very little prep time and clean-up time.

We have a community rec center with gym and pool five minutes from work so I can get it in. But if it is hot out getting a run or ride in is tough in an hour to an hour and a half, especially since that fast shower doesn't really take and I sit at my desk sweating for the next 45 minutes.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm lucky that my gym is a block from where I work. They have some master's swim classes during lunch. Sometimes I just work out there during lunch.
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming the lunch hour [cwg_at_opc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second the use of baby wipes. I figure that if they effectively take car of cleaning sticky crap and stinky pee they can handle sweat and grime from a ride or run. David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I would just take a hooker shower and use deoderant.

Then again I don't work in an office either.

jaretj

This has been my move for almost 2 years now. I work in an office where there are bells at noon and 1 so there is zero wiggle room for the very literal "lunch hour." I eat at my desk after the 1pm bell.
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming the lunch hour [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
We are lucky here to have a shower, an hour to get a workout in, weights/gym, and a stable of bikes to ride and perfect weather 300 days a year to enjoy them.

-SD

I hate you!

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I had a lunch hour (crying). I am not very fond of my new company's culture of meetings at all times including lunch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a flexible lunch hour that I love to use for workouts.

I do interval swims of 2200-3500yds. The pool is a few minutes from my office, so I can get to/from it quickly. Also, most pools have showers and most people are fine with you smelling a bit like a pool (as opposed to summertime post-run body odor).

I run anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes (if I’ve started the work day early or plan to extend it late). Most people can being a run right outside their office door, in which case the lunch run is relatively convenient. I shower at work, but I think a good sink shower goes a long way here. Use a towel, and be thorough.

I ride 50-75 minutes with colleagues. It’s a respected cultural activity in our workplace and common during good weather. Perhaps you + others could make it the same in your workplace as a wellness initiative? Cycling can be tough, e.g. Weather, quickly accessible roads, and quality time. Again, the sink shower is much better than nothing here.

I do yoga. My studio is 2 doors down from work, so it’s convenient. Shower, no shower, sink shower... Depends on how much you sweat.

I second the call that doing your own stretching and strength training (in place), albeit briefly, is high quality.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming the lunch hour [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Easiest for me is to swim. Very little prep time and clean-up time.

We have a community rec center with gym and pool five minutes from work so I can get it in. But if it is hot out getting a run or ride in is tough in an hour to an hour and a half, especially since that fast shower doesn't really take and I sit at my desk sweating for the next 45 minutes.

This is how I roll... I have a small rental locker at the pool so I can just keep my shit there all the time. I swam in skool, so just a measly half-hour or so in the water 3-4X/week is enough to maintain FOP swim chops in the typical Tri. With 10mins to/from + parking, changing, shower, etc, I typically roll in mabe 1:05-1:10, which is close enough if I don't have a 1:00 meeting; I usually end up working until 5:15-5:30 regardless. Sometimes I'll mix in a run instead if it's not too warm out and/or I have a little extra time to burn.
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming the lunch hour [Frenchman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my coworkers is constantly pulled into lunch meetings, so he slips out for runs mid-morning or mid-afternoon. If you are new, you might want to check with the boss first. If you are getting your work done and make your exercise goals clear to the boss, it might not be a problem.

I have a shower at my office, and I do 30-60 min. runs most days of the week, then eat at my desk. My boss does yoga at lunch (his GF is the instructor) so he's not there to keep tabs on anyone.

And instead of "hooker shower", I prefer the term "French bath"; defined: To apply perfume to oneself after exercising, rather than bathing.

Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming the lunch hour [Toothless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothless wrote:

And instead of "hooker shower", I prefer the term "French bath"; defined: To apply perfume to oneself after exercising, rather than bathing.

yeah, i've seen that in action.
when i was in france, playing sports, the guys i played with would use pretty much any shower if it was there - didn't have to be nice, didn't even have to have any privacy, they'd scrub down and get clean. but if there was no shower, they'd just put their nice clothes back on their sweaty bodies.
then we'd get in the metro and everyone would stare at *me* because I'm still in sports gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Redeeming the lunch hour [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You aren't alone. There isn't much substance to like.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply