Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post
Quote | Reply
Looking for suggestions for a red blinky LED that mounts well on the back of an aero seat post (aero post on a 2011 P3). Don't need something huge or super bright, just something compact and simple. Thanks.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Knog Cobbler does a nice job.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks good, but images online only show a round seatpost mount. They mention an aero post mount, but even with searching I can find no photos of that. Do you have any pics of the back of the light? Do you use it on an aero post?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make friends with someone with a 3D printer. Design an adapter so you can use any rear light that normally mounts to round seat post.

That’s what I ended up doing and it’s been flawless solution. Can easily mount a regular bike light to the goofy aero shape.
Quote Reply
Re: Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
Make friends with someone with a 3D printer. Design an adapter so you can use any rear light that normally mounts to round seat post.

That’s what I ended up doing and it’s been flawless solution. Can easily mount a regular bike light to the goofy aero shape.

Sure, that is a possibility. But if there is already a great rear light out there with such a mount, I might be good with that. Why reinvent the wheel?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've an Exposure 'TraceR' rear light that I swap between bikes, and the aero post adaptor bracket for an aero post (I have the normal round post bracket on the road bike and on a commuter)

Not the cheapest - but a real quality product and Exposure (same Co as make USE components like some aero bars and seat posts) customer service is excellent here in the UK.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/...amp;utm_content=mckv|s3TXhOGp8_dm|mcrid|295269794859|mkw||mmt||mrd|100335154uk|mslid||&mkwid=s3TXhOGp8_dm&pcrid=295269794859&prd=100335154uk&pgrid=64996676331&ptaid=aud-967287486205:pla-521159008780&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8fr7BRDSARIsAK0Qqr5LkDeNxy8l1vlM9Hi0XRBSIfUcxaVaSxwv7E8CvFwX0K6dqFnVZoYaApYnEALw_wcB

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/...amp;utm_content=mckv|s06uCS46f_dm|mcrid|295269794859|mkw||mmt||mrd|100554925uk|mslid||&mkwid=s06uCS46f_dm&pcrid=295269794859&prd=100554925uk&pgrid=64996676331&ptaid=aud-967287486205:pla-523497614855&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8fr7BRDSARIsAK0Qqr5aqQPWFagISjAIVUnd0MEoei5pEl6Eq76lOZeKW2toNDHElWJioMIaAhsqEALw_wcB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Cycliq Fly6 which has an aero seat post adapter. Works flawlessly. I have used it on a Specialized Shiv and a QR PR5. I also use the "regular" post mount on my road & gravel bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s fair. Maybe there is something out there for your Cervelo.

But at least in my situation (Trek SC) even the “aero adapters” didn’t work. They’d all get shifted to the side after a few bumps in the road.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That has some potential. But, if you have one, a question: what keeps the light from just popping out of the bracket. It kinda looks precarious, but maybe that is just an illusion:

--
Quote Reply
Re: Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do have access to printer. Did you make such an adapter for your SC? If yes, can you post a pic? Might give me some ideas as to how best to approach this ..

--
Quote Reply
Re: Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post [alligatorCAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cycliq looks nice, but it is super expensive if I just need a small led light, no need for a camera at this time.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Looking for suggestions for a red blinky LED that mounts well on the back of an aero seat post (aero post on a 2011 P3). Don't need something huge or super bright, just something compact and simple. Thanks.

I’ve tried a lot of them over the years. This light will meet all the needs you listed: https://www.niterider.com/...ht-visible-taillight It comes with a longer strap for use with deep aero seat posts.

The Cycliq lights are a great idea, but their execution leaves a lot to be desired for the cost. Their mounts also suck, though the taillight version is not as bad as the headlight.

I’m a big Garmin Varia fan and their mounts work well. But these are much more costly than a dedicated taillight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Looks good, but images online only show a round seatpost mount. "
--------------------------
The Big Cobber is a great light. It DOES come with long bands for an aero seat post. They are really just fancy/better rubber bands that work great.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:

I’m a big Garmin Varia fan and their mounts work well. But these are much more costly than a dedicated taillight.

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I do have access to printer. Did you make such an adapter for your SC? If yes, can you post a pic? Might give me some ideas as to how best to approach this ..

I actually have sold the bike, and adapter with it. So don't have photos. I need to design a new one for the new bike.

But here's a link to the design file that should give you an idea: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/dTUEirJlJFu

I traced the outline of the seat post, scanned it in as a photo, then used that to trace the shape into a design object. Then I took a circle the diameter of normal seat post, cut that in half, then merged the shapes together. Hopefully that makes sense.

It did take two prints as the first print was a hair too small, so I had to print another at 105%, and it was perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The niterider looks like it has potential, thanks.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"Looks good, but images online only show a round seatpost mount. "
--------------------------
The Big Cobber is a great light. It DOES come with long bands for an aero seat post. They are really just fancy/better rubber bands that work great.

Does the cobbler stay pretty well in one place on the back of the post with the longer aero strap?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I actually have sold the bike, and adapter with it. So don't have photos. I need to design a new one for the new bike.

But here's a link to the design file that should give you an idea: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/dTUEirJlJFu

I traced the outline of the seat post, scanned it in as a photo, then used that to trace the shape into a design object. Then I took a circle the diameter of normal seat post, cut that in half, then merged the shapes together. Hopefully that makes sense.

It did take two prints as the first print was a hair too small, so I had to print another at 105%, and it was perfect.

I follow what you did, a pretty simple and effective solution. Might be worth a try as well.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Does the cobbler stay pretty well in one place on the back of the post with the longer aero strap?"
----------------------
Yes. Much better than my Niterider (good light too).

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-lights/bike-light-accessories/trek-speed-concept-2014-seatpost-reflector/flare-mount/p/28865/

This looks good as well (and super cheap), but the million dollar question is how well it fits a cervelo aero post (different dimensions and shape from the SC) ...

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might not be what you want but I just cut a piece of 1 inch PVC pipe in half and use a normal taillight. So light rests on rounded part of PVC then use the light strap to keep it on. Pretty easy and cost like $.50.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how wide is yours? I can measure and let you know tonight. I think if you tighten it enough, it will stay. I did that on my madden, before I bought the madden specific one

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Red blinky LED that mounts well on aero seat post [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
how wide is yours? I can measure and let you know tonight. I think if you tighten it enough, it will stay. I did that on my madden, before I bought the madden specific one

Thanks.

Width is 22mm, fore-aft is 63.5mm (rear of the post has a bit of a kamm tail).

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Oct 8, 20 12:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
That has some potential. But, if you have one, a question: what keeps the light from just popping out of the bracket. It kinda looks precarious, but maybe that is just an illusion:

For the TraceR (which I have) there's a little mushroom lip at the back end of the light that stops it just sliding out. Then as far as it popping our 'radially' its a V snug fit into the clip - the clip say 220 degrees circumference so the light has to be pushed in for it to snap in place.

(The photo you have there is of the Flare, not the TraceR. Similar, but the TraceR is an aluminium machined body and is defo rechargeable via a micro USB port. The Flare is a bit cheaper and a molding.

Edit. The Flare has a couple of slots at the back to help it clip in
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Oct 8, 20 13:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next