Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery practices
Quote | Reply
https://www.npr.org/...utm_content=20190211

This interview and the book it refers to takes on various recovery practices.

Let me first say that I myself have been hospitalized for hyponatremia. Since, I prep by eating salty snacks and meals the day before a long race, and I don’t overdo it on hydration during the races.

For the other stuff, it seems to be more or less of a scam to separate you from your money. Cupping, compression gear, massage boots, “vitamin I,” ice baths, etc.

Comments and N = 1 anecdotes?
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery practices [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read the "interview highlights" and will have to listen to the whole interview or read the book.

But she appears to be mostly right. But has latched onto the Noakes argument perhaps a bit too strongly, or at least too geared toward recreational athletics. I fully agree that there's probably way too much guzzling of sports drinks going on. But neither do I think that an elite marathoner going all-out in hot weather should wait until he's thirsty to hit an aid station.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery practices [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard a few interviews with her, and it's an interesting subject. I agree with a lot of it, but I do think she paints with too broad of a stroke and doesn't give enough consideration to individual variances in people and their physiology. While I agree that the overhydration phenomenon is real (and a danger), I don't think that "drink when you're thirsty" is a one-size-fits-all solution that is going to work for everyone. Speaking for myself, I have a pretty low thirst response and sweat very heavily. Combined, that means I can get in trouble in longer bouts of exercise in hot conditions. I've been in plenty of situations where "when I got thirsty" was too late.

On another n=1 note, I am a regular user of compression clothing - particularly socks and tights. I don't have quantitative evidence that it helps, but I always feel better while I'm wearing it after hard workouts. Feels good == gonna keep doing it.
Quote Reply