Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Recovery from horrendous crashes
Quote | Reply
I am in Penticton and eagerly awaiting the race tomorrow as well as rooting for QRGirl and mdraegernyc as they cruise to (hopefully) pr's and a good race day. Unfortunately, I had to withdraw from this year's competition due to a terrible crash in June resulting in a broken neck, broken ribs, punctured lung and various other injuries and road rashes. While here among the crowds of uber-fit endurance athletes, I have found myself somewhat of a spectacle due to my cervical collar brace and walking sticks. QRgirl says this is because amongst this crowd, I am everyone's worst nightmare. This may be true, but I have also been the recipient of many compliments and well wishes from the same crowd. In subsequent conversations, I have met three others, (one athlete and two spectators) who have recovered from similiar injuries in the recent past. The athlete, in particular, had an amazing story of breaking his C2 (like me) last year in a crash, recovering, and coming here to compete again! I found his story both compelling and inspiring. From my perspective, 10 weeks post accident, it was encouraging almost beyond words to hear him tell of his experience. What was especially inspiring was his overall positive attitude regarding the whole thing. I found myself identifying with that and agreeing with him that from the accident forward, each day is a gift - a sweet and precious gift.

In this thread, I am asking this community for other inspiring stories of recovery and hope around the theme of endurance sports. I'd like to hear more and pass that encouragement on to others not so fortunate. Please keep your views and rants of the current healthcare system in this country to yourself, and pass on your inspirations to those of us still hurting. Thanks, this will also be posted in the LR. :-) and I look forward to reading both!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep moving forward, just keep moving forward...

~~ I am no longer broken... ~~
Last edited by: Brokeneck dave: Aug 29, 09 21:29
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from horendous crashes [Brokeneck dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke my arm in June at my last road race of the year, I was planning on starting my swim training the following day which got put on hold. My doctor told me that I would not be able to do any exercises for 6-8 weeks. I cancelled the rest of my appointments and began biking and running 2 weeks later (probably about 1 week to early) I got in a week of good swimming before sprint nationals and lucky for me the swim was cancelled! I got in a few more weeks of swimming in before olympic nationals and was just hoping not to give up too much time to the better swimmers but unfortunately the current killed me. I guess you can't win them all. Good luck with your recovery though, I will say it brought a whole new perspective to my training, however, I have since lost that perspective. Hopefully you will hold onto that inspiration longer than I.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from horrendous crashes [Brokeneck dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last night I took a horrendous spill and really hurt myself. I was at a Motorhead concert, and some drunk a-hole chick pushed me to the ground in the mosh pit. I landed on my knee, and then rolled on my chest. I think I cracked my rib, and my knee is bruised. It hurts to walk, sneeze and laugh. This morning I didn't dare do the 5K I had signed up for - so decided to sleep it off. Tomorrow I may go for a ride - maybe put in 10 - 20 miles, but don't want to over-do it. Next week I plan on getting back on the horse and resuming my regular workouts. Sometimes I wonder why I torture myself, but then I remember I'm a warrior, and that so many other people would kill to be as physicaly gifted as I am.

But seriously, keep up the good work and I wish you the best in your recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's mine:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#1360820

You'll be fine. Just take it slow coming back. Give yourself at least a year to get completely back to normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2006, I was involved in a bike crash in the Laguna Phuket Tri and suffered a fractured femur just below my hip joint. I was in Thailand but was thankful to have the services of an excellent young orthopedic surgeon who was a Thai national. He installed a dynamic hip plate and attached it with four screws to my femur. The word dynamic means it floats around in my hip joint. Waking up the next morning after the surgery and learning to walk again was one of the most difficult things I have done in a long time. All of my brain power went to moving my right leg and re-learning to walk. After five pretty agonizing days like this in the hospital, I was discharged. I was able to do some elliptical work the first couple of weeks but nothing much else. Started swimming six weeks after. 2007 was pretty much a down year because of this but in February 2008, at my first 70.3 race in Geelong, Oz, I qualified for Clearwater. Talk about being jazzed. Although I did not do as well as I wanted to in Clearwater last year, I was honored to be there and compete with the world's best. I will return this year.

This story pales in comparison to the pain you must've felt with your crash. I wish you all the best and do continue to battle back. I'll see you on the roads one day. It is worth it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say that I'm glad to hear that you're up and around these days. I remember QRGirl's post when you were in intensive care. Scary stuff.

Otherwise, I don't have anything much to contribute, other than to say that getting back into training is likely to be a real test of your patience. Easy to get frustrated and overdo things, and set back your training with stupid little injuries. Might want to take the computer off of your bike and avoid timing your runs.

(Of course, this is exactly what I was told, but did I follow this advice? Hell no.)

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best luck on your recovery.

No story from me but if you get a chance try and track down Tara Norton (Pro) as she has overcome some horrible crashes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you to those who have replied and to the further inspiring stories I have received in the past few days. I would love to hear more and I will share them with others in my physical therapy and rehab centers. It was also inspiring to watch and cheer on the IM Canada athletes. Congrats to all and especially my QRgirl!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never met Jeremy Sartain but was amazed when I read this story. He won the St Paul oly in 1:51 last weekend.
http://wcco.com/...crash.2.1044964.html
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from horrendous crashes [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome story. And a truly inspiring guy! He is absolutely correct - Attitude is everything in recovery and his is certainlty to be admired!

Cheers to Jeremy!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
So sorry to hear about your injury, and I love your screen name. Here's my story. Short version. July 4 2006, on a training ride prepping for 70.3 Cancun. I was hit from behind by an SUV. Broke my c2, c6 , c7, L2, lacerated liver, stitches in knees, ankles , staples in my head. Had a neck brace, prob like yours, and a back brace ( turtle shell) , for 7 months. Told I would never run again, probably never bike either. Fast forward November 2007 IM Fl, 50 minutes slower than before accident. Going for it again this Nov. Still have some pain issues, mostly on the bike , lower back, neck after long rides, but I will take it. Whatever pain I have is better than not being able to do what I love. You will be fine! Just remember , most docs have not had a lot of experience with us crazy triathletes. Just keep focused on your recovery, it will be slow and frustrating, but you will get back if you take your time and don't push to hard. Listen to your body ! Good luck, keep me posted!!!!

It could always be worse.....
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from horrendous crashes [come back kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great story! Thank you for sharing it. I am amazed to hear how fast you came back to do an IM! Cheers to you!

I'm lucky in that, among other things, my neurosurgeon is a cyclist, his wife is a triatlete and my physical therapist is a competitive cyclist as well. All good things to have. My best to you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to see you out on the run yesterday. Pretty easy to spot you with that newfangled compression sleeve on you neck. Does that improve performance? Thanks to you I now know what a degloved finger is. Nasty.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from horrendous crashes [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to cheer you on! Congrats on your finish...

It does improve performance - makes me more aero with my walking sticks and cowbell!!!

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my story.. Basically, I was hit by a car, broke neck and shoulder.

http://gusano82.blogspot.com/.../august-18-2007.html[/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come back kid,

Please see below. Did you get your vertebrae fused?

I was an All American Triathlete in 2006 and won the 2008 Elkhart International Tri to qualify for nationals. Four weeks after (July 2008) Elkhart I raced a 30K TT. A Lexus made an illegal left turn in front of me. I hit the Lexus broadside at 30 mph, shattered the windshield, flew 10 ft in the air and broke C2 and C5 (driver was ticketed and there will be a settlement). I had surgery to fuse C2 to C7 (5 vertebrae).

I am in the midst of a 18 month rigorous Physical Therapy program. The question is can I ever race tris or TTs again? In other words will I be able to hold my head up high enough long enough to ride a TT bike?

Thanks.

John B.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from horrendous crashes [jab2067] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
Wow, so sorry to hear that.I did not have them fused, but it was an option. I decided to let them heal without surgery, and had the neck brace for 6 months. At first it was a problem holding my head up in the aero position, it got easier with time. There are still days when I have a lot of pain in that position. I had to adjust my bars a lot until the pain started to lessen. I cant stay in that position for a long time even now, I have to switch and sit up for a while. Also, I have to adjust my glasses so that I can see over the top of the lenses and keep my head level. I am sure you will be able to race again, just be positive and keep good thoughts. Keep working hard in PT, it will pay off. Most imporantly, be patient. It's hard , but give your body the time it needs, you will be fine! Good Luck , keep me posted!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come back kid,

Thanks for the information and encouragement. If I cannot ride a TT bike next year I am thinking about doing TTs with a Recumbent.

jab2067
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from horrendous crashes [jab2067] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's always an option. They look so comfortable!! Good Luck!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 1998 I was in a crash and shattered my left kneecap to pieces. It was months before I could bear any weight on it and several years to get back to where I was at the time of that crash. Then, on a training ride, a teenage girl driving an oncoming car while talking on a cell phone made an unsignaled left turn and hit me head-on as I was descending a hill. My femur was nearly severed. I had a broken pelvis and ankle, plus a compression fracture of the spine and a laceration that required nearly 100 stitches/staples to close. I was told I might not walk again and that I certainly wouldn't be riding a bike. That was in October, 2002.

In October of 2006 I won my first of four consecutive state TT championships. That year I also set a track record for my age group at the Lowes TT series. Technically, I CAN run, but my doctors have told me it would be pretty stupid, so I only do triathlons as the bike leg of relays. Last year I did Beach 2 Battleship and turned in a 4:31 bike split -- the fastest of the day. Sure I didn't have to swim or run, but it's still a fast time. I'm no spring chicken, either. I'm 53.

I saw where one person who replied advised you to "take your time" and don't rush your recovery. That wasn't my approach at all. If the therapist said, "do 10 of these" I did 15. I pushed the envelope all the time and my recovery time frame both times was half what I was told to expect. You've got to remember that most of these doctors deal with sedentary people, not highly-trained athletes. You also have to remember that they're afraid of lawsuits and will always inject a ridiculous abundance of caution into their advice. Push the envelope. (OK ... having said that, I'm recalling that you've got cervical spinal issues. Maybe you better listen to your doc more than a poster on Slowtwitch.)

The key thing to know is, this WILL be over and behind you one day. Endure.

Lastly, be careful with the pain medication. I only took half of what was prescribed and I still had awful withdrawal symptoms. That's an awful feeling.

All the best!

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope it's not long before you need to change your screen name.

Something like "PR Dave" would be cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from horrendous crashes [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob C.

What a great story. At least you were able to get back to racing at the highest level. Thanks.

FYI: I have a Therapist who works extensively with athletes and knows my limits. Also I stopped taking pain pills months ago. They made me depressed and gave me headaches.

John B.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from horrendous crashes [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To Bob C, Come Back Kid, Jyeager, John B, Bryan and the rest...

Thanks for your stories. It saddens me to hear of the pain and injuries you all have endured. I'm there now. But to hear of your triumphs in recovery has been both uplifting and encouraging to me. I had a disappointing day with the neurosurgeon yesterday. The latest CT scans show that my broken bones aren't healing as fast as we had hoped and my cervical area is not stable enough yet to go without support. I'm looking at another 4-6 weeks in this brace. Not the worst news by far but still disappointing to me. I came home tonite to find your posts and PM's offering encouragement. This blew me away as I had not mentioned this to anyone on ST and the timing... well, it couldn't have been better. Thanks again, guys. It's awesome.

David

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Sorry for your setback. When you do get clear of this, you're going to feel like a bird let out of a cage. It's an amazing feeling. You'll train and race with a vigor like never before.

All the best. I'll remember you in my prayers.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My question is how long before you could spoon your significant other? The sleeping on the back part sucks, we miss spooning...
Quote Reply

Prev Next