Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery from cycle crash - blog
Quote | Reply
I’m primarily doing this blog as a dairy for me to look back on in a few years. I also hope it can motivate me, and anyone else who may be going through a struggle. (If a blog like this isn’t allowed, no problem. You can let me know and I’ll delete it). I plan to add a post every Saturday recapping my week.

Intro: I’ll be 61 in July. I did my first ever tri last year at the Oil Man 70.3. My “A” goal was to finish and my “B” goal was to beat 7:30. I missed my “B” by 11 minutes because of rookie mistakes (“if only”). My next race is Augusta 70.3 in September. I received my second Pfizer yesterday, so I expect to be able to compete in the event. My “A” goal for Augusta is 7:30, my “B” goal is 7:00.

The crash: my son, son-in-law and I were doing a 35mile team TT. Details are irrelevant at this point, but we got tangled up around mile 26. I was the only one seriously injured. Severely bruised right hand and hip, a couple of cracked ribs on the right side and a pulverized right clavicle. Two hours, artificial bone graphs, titanium plate and 10 screws later I was put back together.

Today is three weeks from the crash and two weeks, one day from the surgery. Last checkup on Monday the surgery said things looked good and I could start jogging if I felt like it. I decided to wait until today.

Today I did my first “run”. I decided to do four miles with 1/2 mile fast-walk followed by 1/2 mile jog. I completed the activity with few issues. The main issue was the ribs. It’s actually very tough to run with cracked ribs (at least it’s tough for me). The pain may just be a slight bruising feel until it reaches out a grabs you. This can be almost knee buckling. My focus was on not tripping. I can barely imagine how bad it would be to trip while jogging along, even at a slow 13:30 pace. I also focused on my heart rate. Pain can greatly affect my heart rate. While I may normally have a HR of 128 at this pace, my HR would climb into the high 140s. I’ll be watching this more closely next week.

I normally train with Athletica’s plan for me. After my crash I contacted Dr. Larsen. He said the plan will continue to adjust and provide training as if I was fully training, but to do what I could safely do and when I’m ready to rejoin the plan it will automatically adjust for me, my goal for the next four weeks is to focus on improving fitness and do no “speed” work. I’m hoping in a couple of weeks I can get back in the pool.

My plan next week is to continue the 1/2 mile walk, 1/2 mile jog, with 3 miles on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday, 2 on Thursday, 3 on Friday and 4 or 5 on Saturday.

I will compete at Augusta and will meet my “A” goal, with a strong push to meet my “B” goal!

If you’re interested in following me on Strava and encouraging me, my Strava is https://www.strava.com/athletes/44307172

Set your goals and go for it!

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from cycle crash - blog [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you could do 4 miles this soon after the crash with those injuries, even slowly, you're doing really well and I think you should feel confident about Augusta.

The ribs may hurt for 12 weeks after the injury because they never get a chance to just be immobile and heal. At three weeks if you can tolerate an easy jog, I'd say they're healing up pretty quickly.

At 70.3 worlds in 2019 someone crashed into me on the descent and I got 5 pelvis fractures, a broken rib and a torn rotator cuff. After maybe 4 months I was back to 100% training (just out of shape).

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from cycle crash - blog [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks @RowToTri. I hope 12 weeks isn't correct, but I suspect you're probably right. It will definitely take a few more weeks. Sorry to hear about your crash. We were only going 26-27mph. On a decent at World's (meaning fast people), you were probably flying. Glad to here you've healed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have suffered injuries like this more then once. The ribs will take some time before you are going to be able to breath deeply without pain. 6 weeks, 10 weeks, hard to say, but it will take time. Clavicle will be six weeks before it is healed. Just do as much as you feel comfortable doing. Comfortable meaning that you are not feeling a great deal of pain. I would take the training plan and table it until you feel pretty good, don't worry about it. You have more then enough time to prepare for Augusta. Stay patient and your recovery will be quicker. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from cycle crash - blog [Jamie73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Jamie73 - "more than once"??? Oh my... I've broken several bones and have a lot of stiches over the years, but this my only severe bike crash. I'm hopeful it will be my last.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Motorcycle road racing for 18 seasons. I'm a professional at breaking collarbones and ribs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Week r from crash, 3 from surgery.

First week of training every day, except my usual day off on Sunday.

I was still pretty sore at the beginning of the week. Decided to do the 3 mile half walk, half run Monday, 2 on Tuesday and 3 on Wednesday. Wednesday the ribs didn’t grab at all so I figured I was healing.

On Thursday I decided to run the whole 2 miles. Slow but no rib grabbing. Continued with 3 miles on Friday and finished with 5 miles on Saturday.

Saturday’s run felt reasonably good. Only a little soreness and HR is coming down some to allow me to run a little faster. Still much slower than “normal” pace for the given HR, but progress is being made.

The boys are doing a 40 bike race next Saturday. It may be dumb, but I’m going to ask the doctors at Monday’s appointment if I can it. I’ll let the boys go and I’ll ride slowly.

Quote Reply