Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery following a half iron B race
Quote | Reply
How long does it take to recover from a half iron distance race?

I follow a classic "Training Bible" 23 week periodization training plan and like to schedule my "B" races at the end of the recovery weeks (which will be 3, 7, and 11 weeks before my "A" race). My "A" race will be a half iron distance and my race options 7 weeks beforehand are a sprint or a half iron. If I decide to run the half iron distance will the needed recovery have a negative impact on my "A" race?

On one hand I am thinking that a half iron race could be a good dress rehearsal; on the other hand I am worried that the recovery may hamper my Build 2 training. I would expect that my early week workouts would need to be recovery focused but I am hoping that I can revert to my normal long workouts the following weekend. I have run four half iron distance races in the past but never more than one in a single year.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery following a half iron B race [spcasey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spcasey wrote:
How long does it take to recover from a half iron distance race?

I follow a classic "Training Bible" 23 week periodization training plan and like to schedule my "B" races at the end of the recovery weeks (which will be 3, 7, and 11 weeks before my "A" race). My "A" race will be a half iron distance and my race options 7 weeks beforehand are a sprint or a half iron. If I decide to run the half iron distance will the needed recovery have a negative impact on my "A" race?

On one hand I am thinking that a half iron race could be a good dress rehearsal; on the other hand I am worried that the recovery may hamper my Build 2 training. I would expect that my early week workouts would need to be recovery focused but I am hoping that I can revert to my normal long workouts the following weekend. I have run four half iron distance races in the past but never more than one in a single year.

7 weeks sounds like the perfect amount of time for full recovery. You should recover in much less time than that. You can also plan to run the first race more casually and the race prep for it would be more casual than your A race, if you plan it right. Again though, I have no idea of your athletic or recovery abilities.

I have an 8 week gap this year before my main race (April 70.3 FL to June 140.6 Boulder). It is my first full this year. I'm not very worried at all, but not going for time really on the 140.6. I'm more focused on my 70.3 time and just finishing the 140.6.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Jan 3, 19 19:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 weeks is plenty of time. Take it easy for a few days to a week after the race depending how well you recover, then ramp it up for 3/4 weeks before tapering.

You could also consider a sprint or Olympic race 2 weeks out from your A race as well. I have found that to work for me in the past.

instagram.com/42pointtwo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're at 8-12 hours of training the half is likely too much.

If you're at 14+ then you could probably get away with it since you are looking at 7-10 days to be back where you were. You'll then have 3.5 weeks of training left, not 6 weeks of training like a lot of people imagine they'll have.

Week 7 Race Easy week
Week 6 Recover
Week 5 Train
Week 4 Train
Week 3 Train
Week 2 Train half week
Race week
Quote Reply