Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery Nutrition Recommendations
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I'm currently in training for my first IM in July. I've been eating more than I really ever have (and still losing weight)...however, my legs are left feeling a little heavy in the mornings. It tends to recede as the day progresses, but I'm wondering if a proper recovery drink/shake might help with this? I use Tailwind during my longer workouts, but don't currently use anything post workout. Any recommendations on recovery drinks that might help with this?
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Nutrition Recommendations [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried a few dif. things like Klean Athlete's recovery drink and even just straight protein powder, but honestly the best thing I've found is just straight chocolate milk. On the one hand, it tastes better than everything else out there, probably because it's real stuff. on the other hand, it has everything you need in a recovery drink (4/1 carbs/protein). I just make my own with 2% milk and generic chocolate syrup.

Dcrainmaker did a comparison back a while ago. Here are those two posts:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...g-chocolate-cow.html

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...rox-r4-recovery.html

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Flaer|Team Kiwami|Nuun Hydration|Honey Stinger
Twitter: @N8deck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're using TW as your main source of nutrition, check out their new Rebuild recovery protein powder.

Generally I have a pretty weak stomach and although I *know* I should eat something within a half hour of ending the workout, sometimes that means a few bites of a bar or a protein shake or similar until I feel hungry again. And then all bets are off ;)

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Nutrition Recommendations [triathlonpal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it matter if you use whole milk vs. skim - 1% - 2% ? How much chocolate syrup usually per 8-10oz?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Does it matter if you use whole milk vs. skim - 1% - 2% ? How much chocolate syrup usually per 8-10oz?

Depends who you ask :) Iā€™ll just use what we have in the house. Depending on your diet the extra fat (not all the much actually) in whole milk might be good for you. Iā€™ll do 2Tbsp syrup to 16oz milk... Iā€™ll half it (1Tbsp and 8oz) for a lighter workout.

But then again... Iā€™ll usually just eyeball it lol but 1tbsp is the ā€œserving sizeā€ for the syrup and 8oz is a ā€œserving sizeā€ for milk

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:

use skim. fat (or fiber) slows down nutrient absorption.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have stated - fat free chocolate milk is a very close mirror image of many 'recovery drinks.' So if you do not wish to mix your own then most stores carry fat free choc.

Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Nutrition Recommendations [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Chocolate Milk may not be the best chocolate product to consume because it may not contain the healthy antioxidants flavonoids. Cocoa powder is made up of cocoa bean solids-which hold the flavonoid compounds and cocoa butter. However, most widely available cocoa mixes contain cocoa treated with alkali (called Dutch cocoa) which removes most of the flavonoid compounds. Chocolate milk is made with Dutch cocoa because it mixes with cold liquids better but this means this milk is not a good source for these potentially protective flavonoids.

There are retail products that feature cocoa with high levels of flavonoids. A search will locate them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Purely anecdotal: I'm a heavy (and salty) sweater. I drink quite a bit of gatorade during any type of riding I'm doing. Afterwards, I'll drink a cup of really salty soup stock (e.g., Orrington Farms). I do this mainly to decrease the likelihood of foot cramps in the pool. Seems to help.
I'm SUPER skeptical of commercial supplements and recovery aids that do anything other than provide macronutrients and salts. If it makes you feel better, go ahead, but I wouldn't waste the money. My favorite post workout (currently being consumed) is cinnamon toast crunch (Kroger brand!) with whole milk. Just get the calories and as quickly as possible!

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Nutrition Recommendations [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
. My favorite post workout (currently being consumed) is cinnamon toast crunch (Kroger brand!) with whole milk. Just get the calories and as quickly as possible!

Iā€™m gonna have to second this! Lol

Oh... and all the other stuff you said too... but especially the Cinnamon Toast Crunch :)

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlonpal wrote:

Oh... and all the other stuff you said too... but especially the Cinnamon Toast Crunch :)

I know right!? Kids' cereal is a great post workout strategy! You can eat a TON of it without exploding and it's super cheap!

Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Nutrition Recommendations [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who said anything about ā€œkidsā€™ cereal?ā€ That stuff is just as appealing to adults of all ages :) not to mention the average college kid!

On a serious note... I think Triathlete did a feature in recover foods and included milk and cereal. Of course they said to stay away from the sugary stuff... but what do they know?

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlonpal wrote:
domingjm wrote:
. My favorite post workout (currently being consumed) is cinnamon toast crunch (Kroger brand!) with whole milk. Just get the calories and as quickly as possible!

Oh how I miss cinnamon toast crunch and full fat milk with buttered toast. That was back when I was overweight and would eat an entire box in one sitting.

I haven't had it in years but can taste it right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My parents would never let me eat that stuff growing up. They're so disappointed in my food choices now šŸ˜€

"Stay away from the sugary stuff". Not a chance. Lol.

Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Nutrition Recommendations [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
and would eat an entire box in one sitting.

Haha. On some days, it accounts for about 60% of my caloric intake. I'm not proud of that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About a decade ago when I was entering college, WVU had a freaking Nesquik fountain for their Football players...wildest thing. WVU wasn't the only school like that either.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply