Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovering from long day in the saddle
Quote | Reply
2 weeks ago y’all gave me tips on fueling for a 200ish mile ride

That was first time I’ve gone >100 in 5+ years. This year I’ve also cycled 50%+ miles than ever before, and just wrapping up ~8 week block - so lots of accumulated fatigue

Days 1-9 after the long ride my Resting Heart Rate was 4-8bpm higher than normal. I have only ridden super easy since then. Any effort is met with immediate fatigue, body is super worn out and legs are tired

For the last 4 days (days 10-13 post ride) ive been sleeping 10 hrs / day (up from ~8 which is normal). RHR is back to normal, Legs are starting to feel better, too

I assume this is my body just telling me to cool it for a bit. I vaguely remember feeling this kinda tired after Ironman, but haven’t done one of those in 6 years now

Any tips to help body recover ?
Last edited by: mvenneta: Nov 11, 20 19:03
Quote Reply
Re: Recovering from long day in the saddle [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:

I draw a salt bath and elevate the legs. Also, I bring in 3-4 La Croixs in a little cooler to provide excellent hydration for recovery.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat lots, sleep lots, and take a day or two completely off. You'll bounce back, just gotta take the time
Quote Reply
Re: Recovering from long day in the saddle [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s what I’m thinking too. 2 weeks just feels like aloooong time !
Quote Reply
Re: Recovering from long day in the saddle [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve done a couple ice baths! I’ll try salt today, good thinking
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would look at it differently

I would say my body is telling me I wasn’t ready for that distance/intensity.

And would work up to that distance/intensity next time.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovering from long day in the saddle [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
I would look at it differently

I would say my body is telling me I wasn’t ready for that distance/intensity.

And would work up to that distance/intensity next time.

That’s true, and I knew it going in, but not really what I’m looking for =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ice baths might help with muscle pain but I don't think they help with healing.
Sounds like you over extended yourself. Take it very easy by not getting on the bike at all for several days, rather than just doing easy rides.
I'm sure you'll bounce back soon enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
2 weeks ago y’all gave me tips on fueling for a 200ish mile ride

That was first time I’ve gone >100 in 5+ years. This year I’ve also cycled 50%+ miles than ever before, and just wrapping up ~8 week block - so lots of accumulated fatigue

Days 1-9 after the long ride my Resting Heart Rate was 4-8bpm higher than normal. I have only ridden super easy since then. Any effort is met with immediate fatigue, body is super worn out and legs are tired

For the last 4 days (days 10-13 post ride) ive been sleeping 10 hrs / day (up from ~8 which is normal). RHR is back to normal, Legs are starting to feel better, too

I assume this is my body just telling me to cool it for a bit. I vaguely remember feeling this kinda tired after Ironman, but haven’t done one of those in 6 years now

You might have needed a bit more carbohydrate during and after your ride and maybe all the time during training. Carb utilization rates increase with lower fitness (or while overextending oneself in training... which I do all the time! Favorite training method for sure!)

If you didn't consume 700-1000g carbs the day of your big ride, and have been on a low-moderate carb diet since then, you may still just be carb-depleted. If so, recommendation: eat more carbs during and after all training sessions until you feel better.

Not to mention just you're just overreached and still recovering. A rest day is good too.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Recovering from long day in the saddle [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know exactly how many carbs I had, but got about 3500 calories while on the bike...

I’m pretty sure looking back - I was very fatigued going into the ride (3 80-100 mile races over previous 5 weeks), the first week after I go as easy I should’ve and I paid for it last week

Still tired, but getting lots of sleep and taking it easy

Could be nutrition related on the bike, but I am just super tired. RHR has gotten back to normal

Will continue to take it easy till I’m itching to go hard again ...
Quote Reply