Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendations for US training locations
Quote | Reply
I've got it in my head that as soon as possible, I'm going to pack my gear and spend a few weeks at an air BnB somewhere in the US. Probably two weeks to start with, but maybe three. I can work remotely, so I'm looking for a place that will offer great road cycling, running, and open water swimming (if possible).

I'd prefer to be away from big cities and somewhere out west feels like the right direction. But I don't know. I'm looking for scenic.

Any recommendations for locations to look into? I traveled more when I was younger and don't know how places have changed.

Where would you go if you were in my shoes?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This time of year, I'd go to Chattanooga, Tn.

1. River swimming if you partner with the Chattanooga Open Water Swimmers (COWS). If not, there is a lake about 15 minutes outside of town that has OWS access. Water should be warming in the next couple weeks.

2. Tons of riding. You can stick to the IM Chat course or venture up Raccoon Mtn, Suck Creek, Lookout Mtn. Any of those climbs are solid. The area is great for climbing, rolling and fast flats. Once you are 5 miles outside of town, it is country roads for hours.

3. Running--Greenway and downtown are plenty adequate. Otherwise there are also several trails in the area if needed.

If you can secure an Airbnb close to downtown or popular area, you might not even use your car during the stay. The city hub is very walkable and there is a trolley that runs almost all day. Chattanooga was always my go to play well before IM came to town.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Just took a look. Chattanooga is on the list. Thanks for the great recommendation.

Where else would people go?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest Albuquerque. While swimming would be quite challenging (little water) you would have plenty of running and cycling options at altitude. I think they really haven't been hit too hard with Covid-19 either. Aside from training, the scenery is quite majestic - beautiful sunsets and the Sandia Mountains.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [amazingtoddo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Albuquerque looks pretty populated (but beautiful). Any particular locations in or around there you'd recommend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billings, MT: population 100K. Low on the Covid impact (which is why I did not include Bozeman or Missoula). Lake Elmo state park is small lake (800m across) located in the city. Access to numerous road rides and mountain biking. Hour drive from the mountains. Both trail & road running readily available. If pools open, there's a small masters group that swims with local swim team at an outdoor 50m pool.

Grand Junction, CO: population 60K. Really low on the Covid impact. HIghline State park about 20 miles east of city. BLM mountain bike trails galore. Lots I'm trail running options. Road cycling from the Grand Mesa, the Monument (Tour of the Moon), Palisades wine route & rural roads. Moab close too. City outdoor pool with a few dedicated lap lanes. Colorado Mesa University has an impressive pool that alternates between SCY & LCM.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asheville, NC is pretty great but the swimming is probably going to be at the YWCA or Jewish Community Center

Lake Placid is a great training site and you’ll be with like minded people.

I had a plan to spend a few weeks training in Lake Tahoe before ‘Rona hit but can’t speak from experience.

Sweet Home, OR hosts a pretty decent sized tri festival at the end of the summer. Lake Foster is a good lake to swim in and may be the cheapest option for AirBnB. Just don’t go during the Oregon Jamboree.

Good luck in your decision!

Brett Z

“Livin’ in a van down by the river”
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [tanbrett87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thank you for the ideas!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want some heat training, Clermont, Florida. Swimming and riding/running from waterfront park.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Berkshire County, MA - If the state re-opens things like air BnB's any time soon.

Lots of country roads with low traffic + good shoulders. Big climbs can be found on any ride if you choose. The one thing that's tough to come by is a flat ride.

If you decide you want to do gravel rides, there are miles and miles of gravel roads too.

There are swimmable lakes all over the place.

The running scene (road or trail) is vibrant.

There's also a shit ton of yoga places if that's your thing.

Lastly - weed is legal in MA, so you'll be able to get some "medication" to help with recovery.

Nearest airports = Albany, NY or Hartford, CT
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 for Grand Junction, CO.

Just about endless places to swim, bike, and run. Have been here a year now and haven’t even touched a lot of route options. Has a great pool at CMU and a lot of open water locations if you know where to look.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to really get away from it all and I mean really.
Check out the Northeast Kingdom of VT, absolutely beautiful area, endless roads to ride on with nary a car in sight.
Lots of lakes that you can swim in.
Also endless hiking trails for those days that you don't want to ride.

Did I mention endless roads with NO cars....

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Last edited by: trener1: Apr 26, 20 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendation!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IF this will be over the summer and you are doing Kona, I would consider The Woodlands, TX. It will be hot and humid (read miserable) and you can get long bike rides in without a lot of significant climbing, so holding aero position for long periods of time. Tons of places to run. And, if you want to workout with a good tri swim group (depending on timing and when they reopen), Magnolia Masters is a good program. But, I am not going to lie, this is only if you are trying to really up your game for a hot/humid event like Kona. You can also day trip up to Austin to get in some hill country rides.

However, for me it would all be about the bike since not bothered to get in OWS, my top three would be Asheville, NC, Summit County, CO, and Lake Tahoe, CA/NV - and my guess is that is probably cheapest to most expensive as well!

Enjoy as it sounds like an awesome opportunity.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [tanbrett87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tanbrett87 wrote:
Asheville, NC is pretty great but the swimming is probably going to be at the YWCA or Jewish Community Center

Lake Placid is a great training site and you’ll be with like minded people.

I had a plan to spend a few weeks training in Lake Tahoe before ‘Rona hit but can’t speak from experience.

Sweet Home, OR hosts a pretty decent sized tri festival at the end of the summer. Lake Foster is a good lake to swim in and may be the cheapest option for AirBnB. Just don’t go during the Oregon Jamboree.

Good luck in your decision!

Asheville has a strict quarantine for all non-essential visitors. Check into that before heading there.

https://www.ashevillecvb.com/...us-update-resources/

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Durango, CO.
Swim: competition pool at rec center or wetsuit OWS at Lake Nighthorse
Ride? Everywhere
Run? Everywhere
Not much wind here
6,500 +/- ielevation, depending on where you are
Last edited by: speedyturtle: Apr 27, 20 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train wrote:
I've got it in my head that as soon as possible, I'm going to pack my gear and spend a few weeks at an air BnB somewhere in the US. Probably two weeks to start with, but maybe three. I can work remotely, so I'm looking for a place that will offer great road cycling, running, and open water swimming (if possible). I'd prefer to be away from big cities and somewhere out west feels like the right direction. But I don't know. I'm looking for scenic.

The west is definitely the best IMO. I live in S NM at 7,000ft and it's currently 81F... heat wave!

There are so many possibilities. The higher altitude parts of S NM and AZ should have good temperatures and be dry this time of year. It can get windy but it hasn't been bad so far. I live in Ruidoso; Silver City NM is another possibility. Sierra Vista/Bisbee, AZ. Maybe Cedar City, UT? Someone mentioned Albuquerque earlier; look on the east side of the mountain range, between the mountains and Edgewood.

OWS... I guess with a wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you to everyone. So many great ideas here!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
The west is definitely the best IMO. I live in S NM at 7,000ft and it's currently 81F... heat wave!

There are so many possibilities. The higher altitude parts of S NM and AZ should have good temperatures and be dry this time of year. It can get windy but it hasn't been bad so far. I live in Ruidoso; Silver City NM is another possibility. Sierra Vista/Bisbee, AZ. Maybe Cedar City, UT? Someone mentioned Albuquerque earlier; look on the east side of the mountain range, between the mountains and Edgewood.

I was just talking about Sierra Vista and Bisbee with someone about training there. In the summer it can get quite hot in both places, 100+. It's a little cooler than Tucson but not a ton cooler.

I think the Salt Lake area would be cool to try out.
Had been pondering Chattanooga for this summer's get away but probably just end up sweltering in Tucson.
I may also check out Greensboro/Winston Salem/High Point area of NC (although I'm somewhat familiar with those areas since I grew up in HP). Lots of good places to ride and run, not sure about OWS. Not sure when the masters teams in the area will start back either.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Truckee, CA.

Swim in Donner Lake (beautiful alpine lake), run around Donner Lake or trail run the PCT, Cycle Old 40 up to Donner summit (see triathlon photos). It's home to my favorite triathlon. Excellent for families because of the great town, shopping, food, etc. Lake Tahoe, Northstar and Squaw Valley villages not far away.

https://donnerlaketri.com/

https://www.lefrakphotography.com/...lyHalfBike/i-j7Qj4Wb
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for US training locations [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I was just talking about Sierra Vista and Bisbee with someone about training there. In the summer it can get quite hot in both places, 100+. It's a little cooler than Tucson but not a ton cooler.

Can get 100+, but rarely. Tucson's daytime highs are 8F warmer than Sierra Vista in summer and 12F higher than Bisbee. That's a lot. In winter it's only 2-5F warmer. In summer you'd want to get out in the morning anyway to avoid afternoon showers. https://wrcc.dri.edu/...in/cliMAIN.pl?az8820 https://wrcc.dri.edu/...in/cliMAIN.pl?az7880 https://wrcc.dri.edu/...in/cliMAIN.pl?az0775 https://wrcc.dri.edu/summary/Climsmaz.html https://wrcc.dri.edu/...t_coop_summaries.php

The high altitude parts of southern AZ, NM, and TX have the mildest year round climate outside the S CA coast. It's the best for winter sun also.

SLC has real winter... any place that far north is getting into the "dreary winter" band as well. https://wrcc.dri.edu/...in/cliMAIN.pl?ut7598 Where I live the Jan high is 49 and 82 in July. SLC is 37 and 92.

BTW... the OP is just looking for a good spot for the next 2-3 weeks...
Last edited by: rruff: Apr 28, 20 8:59
Quote Reply