Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendation for Compression Socks
Quote | Reply
I am getting very confused as to different sites offering compression socks...is there any clear winner in the compression sock industry...sort of like the kurt kinetic of compression socks?

also...are there any health concerns from wearing compression socks for too long or during periods of non-training?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Compression Socks [Cervelo Apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think many would argue the supremacy of Kurt Kinetic in their industry... But I love mine.

So far as the socks go, I'm a fan of CEP. Best combination of compression and durability I have come across. Many companies out there offer compression socks, but much of it is not up to snuff as far as compression goes. Ideally, you would have something approaching 20-25mmHg of compression at the ankle, and then slowly decrease as you go up the calf. That is how CEP does it, and it works. Zoot and 2XU also makes some great stuff, although I'm not a fan of their durability (n=1, though).

Nike also makes a really, really nice compression sock for some of their elite runners (Chris Solinsky, most notably) but they're extremely hard to come by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The $20 - $25 ones that you can buy at Walgreens, Rite Aid, Walmart etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have it at my finger tips, but a Danish tri mag did a proper study on compression gear and CEP was the clear winner. CEP is a medical device company that makes compression gear etc for medical purposes, the sports stuff is just a sideline.

I have both CEP and Zoot, like both but the CEP is lasting far better

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Compression Socks [slowrunr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have the socks or the leg sleeves? seems like the sleeves are more versatile. Anyone have opinions on sleeve vs. sock?
Last edited by: Cervelo Apple: May 5, 11 6:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fit Fit Fit...

I went CEP because others did not fit as well. (Then again, I am a size V in CEP, and others just seem to be made for smaller calves)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like sleeves for fast transitions.

I also like the full socks for recovery, training and travel (long flights).

I like the sleeves for 1/2s, not sure I'd use them for anything shorter and if/when I did a full I'd probably go with the full sock (CEP has some point in their literature about not wearing the sleeves for more than 5 hours).

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own several different pairs of compression socks and just bought some more. I generally wear my compression socks to work as dress socks. Here are my thoughts:

2XU-I have two pairs and at $50 a pair they are in line with most of the sport compression socks being sold right now. The product is ok, but not great. These were my first compression socks I bought and had nothing to compare them with. I would say for sure they are better than nothing, but I believe there are better products on the market.

CEP-I have one pair and bought them last year at Ironman New Orleans. I think these socks are better than 2xU, based on how the compression works. I also like that the sock has more padding in the foot area. If money were not option I would have multiple pairs of these socks.

Futuro-After reading on Slowtwitch from people that in general the Tri industry is just ripping us off because you can buy medical grade compression socks at Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart etc for like $15-$20. I decided to finally go buy a pair. I went to CVS and I bought the Futuro Dress Sock for Men with firm compression 20-30 (whatever the unit of measure is). I wore them for the first time this past Monday and the product is great. The compression of this sock is very similar to CEP's. Everyone on Slowtwitch who said we were idiots for paying $50-$60 for compression socks was right. While I was at work on Monday I ordered 4 more pairs (2 Brown & 2 Blue) all my others are black. Anyway with Shipping I got 4 pairs for around $52.00. If there is a down side it's that these are like dress socks and they are thin. You will not want to race in these or walk around in shorts wearing these you will only look even dumber then everyone else walking around in compression socks. Here is a link to their website http://www.futuro-usa.com/...9685XMgl031MNJVFF1bl

Here is the on-line retailer I bought mine from: http://www.alevalegs.com/...ens-dress-socks.html

I like the CEP's and might buy 1 more pair sometime in the future, but for the most part the rest of the compression socks I buy will be these Futuro.

I hope this helps some.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Compression Socks [cam2win] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for that insight. I might go the route of drugstore compression. worse case, I can wear them around the house as socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that after the study came out (referenced above) CEP became the clear winner.

2XU is popular but I think the compression just feels tight rather than graduated. And Zoot may actually be made by MEDI the same company that makes the CEP socks. I don't like the sizing on Zensah so I can't give you any info on those.

I will also add that if you are non wetsuit and want to avoid putting sleeves on in transition, 2XU has a more Lycra style fabric whereas CEP is more like a sock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only way to win, is not to play!

Cervelo Apple wrote:
I am getting very confused as to different sites offering compression socks...is there any clear winner in the compression sock industry...sort of like the kurt kinetic of compression socks?

also...are there any health concerns from wearing compression socks for too long or during periods of non-training?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question for you, since you've got the experience... In looking at the size chart, I would be a medium--floor to knee bend is just under 17"; my calf at its widest point is 14". However, my shoe size is only a men's 5.5-6, which is firmly in the "small" camp.

Do you think I should look at a small or a medium?

(They don't make the "restoring dress socks" with firm compression for women.)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Compression Socks [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should this be a concern for me?

Gradient compression stockings

A patient's ABI (Ankle Brachial Index) must be >1.0 for both legs to wear compression stockings, otherwise the stockings may obstruct the patient's arterial flow. The ABI indicates how unobstructed a patient's leg and arm arteries are. Any competent doctor or nurse can measure and calculate a patient's ABI.
Last edited by: Cervelo Apple: May 5, 11 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Compression Socks [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like CEP as well, they are not a sponsor of mine but I do get a deal through my team. I have a pair of the walking ones and a pair of running. I only use them for recovery- I either wear them the entire day after a hard ride or I will sleep in them.

I normally sleep in the walking ones- my logic is I am already horizontal so not as much pressure needed. Sitting at work the extra compression of the running version seems more appropriate.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cam2win wrote:
I

Futuro-After reading on Slowtwitch from people that in general the Tri industry is just ripping us off because you can buy medical grade compression socks at Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart etc for like $15-$20. I decided to finally go buy a pair. I went to CVS and I bought the Futuro Dress Sock for Men with firm compression 20-30 (whatever the unit of measure is). I wore them for the first time this past Monday and the product is great. The compression of this sock is very similar to CEP's. Everyone on Slowtwitch who said we were idiots for paying $50-$60 for compression socks was right. While I was at work on Monday I ordered 4 more pairs (2 Brown & 2 Blue) all my others are black. Anyway with Shipping I got 4 pairs for around $52.00. If there is a down side it's that these are like dress socks and they are thin. You will not want to race in these or walk around in shorts wearing these you will only look even dumber then everyone else walking around in compression socks. Here is a link to their website http://www.futuro-usa.com/...9685XMgl031MNJVFF1bl

Here is the on-line retailer I bought mine from: http://www.alevalegs.com/...ens-dress-socks.html

I

+1 on the Futuro Men's Restoring Dress Socks. I LOVE them. I had to wear them quite a bit 2 years ago for a circulatory issue I was having, so went through my fair share of trying different pairs and hands down the Futuro's win. One caveat though, as mentioned above, I'm not sure I'd wear then as much for working out, but I rarely wear compression gear when working out now, mostly just afterward or if I'm going to be on my feet all day long somewhere. I prefered the sleeves for racing because I didn't want to take the time to put anything on in transition, but in reality if you are having circulatory issues you should use socks vs. sleeves because your feet need the compression as well.

Re: Recommendation for Compression Socks [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest sizing down, if it's too tight, they have a good return policy.

If you really want firm, could you fit in a Small or XS mens? Just an idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear CEP compression socks a lot, post race and post long training runs/rides. I didn't believe they'd work, but now I swear by them. I also wear them on overseas flights.

I have a pair of Zoot socks (and knickers) too. Zoot used to sponsor my team, now CEP does. I prefer the CEP ones, since they fit a bit snugger. Not because they sponsor us, I was wearing/liking them pre-sponsorship too.

I just got a new pair of CEP socks, sleeves and shorts (thanks CEP!). I prefer the older socks I had from them, though. They were the white and orange (recovery?). The new ones are white and black (also recovery?). The reason I prefer the white/orange ones is that the new ones are longer and actually go above my knees, which is awkward and I need to fold them down. The older ones did not. They are both technically the same size though (size III), so I dunno if maybe they changed something (I don't think the old ones shrank, though I have washed them many times, and they have held up well).

My wife wears 2XU's socks. She loves hers. It was a proud day for me when I came to bed, half embarrassed to be wearing the socks and my boxers, only to fold back the sheets and see my wife was already wearing hers (you don't get a description of what else she was wearing... or not wearing).

I suspect there is little difference between brands though. I didn't see the study someone mentioned, but I'd imagine there was a very small difference in the socks. Probably too small to notice, but big enough to be scientifically measured. But I have no basis for thinking this other than I'm a statistical researcher and a lot of my personal studies (not related to compression socks) often report differences that are statistically significant, though otherwise probably not very noticeable, so I'm a skeptic in general.

But my point is they seem to work from my experience and I love them.

I often wear them to bed, sleep 8 hours in them and wake up feeling great! I'd like to sleep in my compression knickers (zoot) which are great to race in but would be too hot to sleep in.

I have yet to test the CEP calf sleeves or shorts but I did try them on and they were both a nice, snug but comfortable fit.

I have no idea if there are negative side effects of wearing them. I certainly hope not!

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore the CEP sleeves at NOLA, really liked 'em...considering the full socks on in T1 at IM TX...

Anyone ever worn the sleeves in a non wetsuit swim??

And the ABI concerns are for those with arterial disease. i.e. atheresclerosis

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cam2win wrote:
I would suggest sizing down, if it's too tight, they have a good return policy.

If you really want firm, could you fit in a Small or XS mens? Just an idea.

That's what I was asking about--small v. medium in men's.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was using cep for a while quite happily, until i happened across these...

https://swiftwick.com

i like them because they feel like they breathe better than the ceps, and i like that the material is more "slick" allowing me to slip on running and cycling shoes a lot easier.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FederMut

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply