Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendation: Triathlon bike
Quote | Reply
Hello fellows,

I have been riding roads bikes since 1990 both with a cycling club and on my own. I thought I would like to buy a Triathlon bike. There are so many on the market I need some advice. My price ceiling is CDN $10,000.

What do you recommend for me :)

Thank you in advance!

GG
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation: Triathlon bike [Gatineau Gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hello fellows,

I have been riding roads bikes since 1990 both with a cycling club and on my own. I thought I would like to buy a Triathlon bike. There are so many on the market I need some advice. My price ceiling is CDN $10,000.

Thank you in advance!

GG

I have a Cervelo P2k that I will reluctantly part ways with for only $9,500.

That’s what I would recommend.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you in Gatineau ?

What bike club ?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation: Triathlon bike [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hello fellows,

Thank you in advance!

GG

+$499 shipping, of course. Saving OP $1 on his budget!!
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jul 17, 20 16:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lolz Jason !!

@ Gatineau Gator:
$7000. US will let you get a decent bike.
Start with first things first: As soon as you dial your correct bike and size, check with availability.
Canadian retail stores, and distributors, are out of stock on so many bike stuff now. If you get tempted by a model, chances are you may end up having to wait till 2021 to get it. And that's for many, many things bike related sadly....

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are your fit numbers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recommendation is to see a bike fitter who fits on a proper fit bike to give you fit coordinates and recommendations before you buy.

Once you've done that, you can see what options will fit you best, and immediately make any changes to it to ensure an ideal fit.

All too many times I've seen people get a bike, then find out it isn't long enough, or it's too long, or doesn't have enough drop, etc.

With that budget, the proper pre-purchase fitting will do you a world of good, then revisit that fitter for bike setup once purchase it done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hello fellows,

Thank you in advance!

GG

No he should definitely buy my Felt IA1 disc frameset that I have listed in the classifieds. Much cheaper than your bike ;). Then he can build it up exactly the way he wants it.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation: Triathlon bike [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hello fellows,

Thank you in advance!

GG

No he should definitely buy my Felt IA1 disc frameset that I have listed in the classifieds. Much cheaper than your bike ;). Then he can build it up exactly the way he wants it.

It’s cheaper, therefore not as good as mine. The OP wants the finest engineering available, which is clearly a 2003 Cervelo p2k.

More seriously, don’t get a black bike. It’s overdone and boring. Red can be good, and can blue or white. I’m not a fan of yellow except as an accent colour, and green is difficult to pull off well. Purple can be really nice.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 17, 20 17:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll break the fun a little and bring it back around...

At that price point, the world is your oyster. Most of the major brands are very good. The direct to consumer brands like Canyon, Premier, and others offer a little more value. One thing I would budget for is wheels. Bikes at that level will have good wheels, but not as good as you would want in a race. So, plan to ditch whatever comes on the bike and upgrade to a 60mm or 90mm front and a rear disc.

Also, are you planning to race it in a triathlon or road race time trials? If you want to use it in cycling races, then you need to shop for a UCI-legal bike. That eliminates a few of the faster triathlon bikes.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jul 17, 20 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Sean H wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hello fellows,

Thank you in advance!

GG

It’s cheaper, therefore not as good as mine. The OP wants the finest engineering available, which is clearly a 2003 Cervelo p2k.

More seriously, don’t get a black bike. It’s overdone and boring. Red can be good, and can blue or white. I’m not a fan of yellow except as an accent colour, and green is difficult to pull off well. Purple can be really nice.
I'd take the Felt as all Cervelos fail. Apparently...
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._view_collapsed&
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation: Triathlon bike [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, he can do FAR better than “decent” at this price. He should be able to build a bike that would rival the fastest on the planet with that budget. OP-shop around and you will find savings and should be able to buy anything you want with electronic shifting, power, good wheels etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can check http://diridestyle.com/...?product_cat=tt-bike Perhaps you will find something
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Sean H wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hello fellows,

Thank you in advance!

GG

In the last Olympics Blue was the fastest colour...Gainsborough knew his stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation: Triathlon bike [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree! That’s a large budget. Buy what fits you. All the top end bikes will be plenty fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation: Triathlon bike [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Honestly, he can do FAR better than “decent” at this price. He should be able to build a bike that would rival the fastest on the planet with that budget. OP-shop around and you will find savings and should be able to buy anything you want with electronic shifting, power, good wheels etc.

Agree. And also enough to start with a professional bike fit first!

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get fit by a reputable fitter, then buy used and save a ton of money.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply