Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend me a Running Watch
Quote | Reply
There is an overwhelming amount of "sports" watches out there. Most of what I've seen doesn't seem to give me the basics of a running watch without the other crap. Every review I saw seemed to focus on text messages and sleep stats - I guess that's the average "runner." Looking for some advice and personal experiences. Ultimately I'm after a running watch that gives me HR, Distance, Pacing, GPS without needing my phone, slim and lightweight and is chargeable. Ideally, I don't want to carry a phone with me for my runs so having those metrics/GPS on demand would be ideal.
Last edited by: casper3043: Apr 21, 19 19:21
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Running Watch [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
There is an overwhelming amount of "sports" watches out there. Most of what I've seen doesn't seem to give me the basics of a running watch without the other crap. Every review I saw seemed to focus on text messages and sleep stats - I guess that's the average "runner." Looking for some advice and personal experiences. Ultimately I'm after a running watch that gives me HR, Distance, Pacing, GPS without needing my phone, slim and lightweight and is chargeable. Ideally, I don't want to carry a phone with me for my runs so having those metrics/GPS on demand would be ideal.

Well I would still recommend my Garmin 735xt after using it for over 3 years. Meets all your requirements including slim and lightweight and has an optical HR built in. However with slim you also get less battery life and fwiw, I am on my 3rd one. Garmin has replaced each under warranty but I can be exceptionally hard on my gear in general. Garmin has always been very good about replacing my own gear, no affiliation with them, but it can be hassle. I keep a spare 910xt on hand just for this reason.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Running Watch [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the recommendation. it definitely checks the boxes and some. a bit on the pricier side of things and difficult for me to justify the biking/swimming and other non-running features of the watch for $250+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin forerunner 230/235.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Running Watch [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
fwiw, I am on my 3rd one. Garmin has replaced each under warranty but I can be exceptionally hard on my gear in general. Garmin has always been very good about replacing my own gear, no affiliation with them, but it can be hassle. I keep a spare 910xt on hand just for this reason.

Just wondering what it failed for each time and you managed to get it warrantied for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Forerunner 25

/endthread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DCRainmaker's basic running watch recommendations are the Garmin Vivoactive 3, Polar M430, and Suunto Spartan Trainer Wrist HR. I have a 735XT and love it. And my friends who only run love thier 735s as well. However, the Vivoative 3 packs a ton of features for its price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the budget?

For me I have a 735xt, which is great but sounds like you just want a basic running watch with GPS. In that case the forerunner 25 or 230 should work just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Running Watch [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Vivoactive 3 is a touchscreen. For me that made it undesirable for running due to sweat, rain, etc. It’s definitely a good all-arounder.

For pure running watch I would agree with earlier recommendations of Garmin 25/230/235.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Running Watch [twheat18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twheat18 wrote:
The Vivoactive 3 is a touchscreen. For me that made it undesirable for running due to sweat, rain, etc.
Good catch-- I didn't know that. Ditto: scratch the Vivoactive 3 from the list.

Of the Garmins, that leaves the 25, 35, and 235 as the all-arounders, depending on budget. The 25 lacks wrist HR, if that is important. The 35 is incredibly capable for the price, and only lacks a few of the advanced training and FirstBeat analytics of the 235.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Running Watch [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to stay under $200.

As someone pointed out, I think I would prefer buttons over a touchscreen. I can't imagine trying to swipe a small screen full of sweat. The Garmin Forerunner 35 is comparable to the 235. Lacks the Race Predictor and Pace Alert, but offsets with a Virtual Pacer so I think I'd be covered. And I see the 35 is on sale at Best Buy for $100, so half the price of the 235. I think this will be the one...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timex Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, the Apple Watch if you want to keep things simple. I use this all without my phone. I have used the Strava app, can listen to music on headphones if I want, and have Apple Pay and Starbucks card so can stop and get post run meal, etc. when traveling out of town. I don’t find it as accurate as my Garmin but it is small and simple. I do tend to default to my Garmin just because it is more accurate and I have a more dressed up band on my Apple Watch than the sport band, but it does work and you only need one watch.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Last edited by: Quo Vadimus: Apr 22, 19 10:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a Garmin FR25 for years. No HR, but other than that, great watch.
Get the FR35 if you really need HR (you don't).

Now I use my Coros Apex which I use for SBR, indoor and outdoor training. It kicks ass. Best bang for the buck. But way more than a FR35.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm watching this thread. Don't think you'll get what you want for under $200 so I'm curious too.

I use a Casio w-201 because it's only 2.08 ounces with a 9mm thickness. I'm so thin and weak that everything else seems bulky and heavy to me. Good water resistance and sweat resistance. The watch bands fail after several years. Cost $15.

In the last two weeks, three people raved about their iWatch. I was impressed too. Heart rate, GPS, lap counting and calorie function. However it's $250 plus it's clunky compared to the Casio, I'm staying put for the $15 replacement cost.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
And I see the 35 is on sale at Best Buy for $100, so half the price of the 235. I think this will be the one...
FYI, the Garmin 45-- successor to the Garmin 35-- is also imminent at $200. That is probably why the 35 is on sale for so cheap. If the latest-and-greatest matters, it might be worth waiting a few days to see that one.

The specs in the leak are light, but here is the link: https://www.activejr.com/...and-45-specs-leaked/
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me a Running Watch [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, this was helpful. i think i'll be OK with the 35. the only thing i'd be interested in is the smaller size 45s, but can't justify the price.
Quote Reply