Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend a bike for a clydesdale
Quote | Reply
This year is my first year training for triathlons. Currently all I have is a mountain bike. I'm thinking of buying a new road bike (not tri specific).

I'm 6'0" 215lbs, not too fat (36" waist 48" chest), and my legs are pretty strong and I'm looking for a bike that won't flex too much when I stomp on it in a big gear.

The bikes I've been throwing around in my head are:

Kestrel Talon
Cervelo Soloist
Trek Madone 5.2
Cervelo R2.5

Does anyone have any thoughts or other bike recommendations?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a bike for a clydesdale [chrisp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannondale - super stiff frames, great bikes for big guys like us.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm your size and I ride a Trek 5200 (I think this the same bike as the new Madone 5.2, just minus the cute little aero thing on the seat tube).

I love it. It's stiff enough for me to crank on it but it is also very comfortable on long rides.

I was a little worried about the wheels but after 3000 miles they are still true.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a bike for a clydesdale [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could almost add any of the aero profile alum tubed bikes as they are all pretty stiff. You don't see a lot of them out there , but the Bianchi Chrono is a nice ride in that group. G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Griffen Vulcan. Stiffest bike I have ever seen. Amazingly, it is also the smoothest. Pricey, but if you want 100% power transfer you should check it out. www.griffenbike.com I love mine-

--------
"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word" - John Steinbeck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to go Ti, and it fits of course, I'd look at a QR TiPhoon. I have an '03 w/Zipp 404's and I like it so much I don't even get bike envy...
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a bike for a clydesdale [lonestar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great paint job...
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a bike for a clydesdale [JohnL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

--------
"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word" - John Steinbeck
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a bike for a clydesdale [lonestar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw on another thread that you live in North Texas. Do you do any of the Ironhead races? If so, I'll look for you. Maybe I should say I'll look for your bike...
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a bike for a clydesdale [JohnL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice ride. Love the paint job.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a bike for a clydesdale [jameshinton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it is Lonestar's bike. Mine is just unfinished Ti...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'5" 220 and ride an Elite. I used to be a partner of the company. First bikes we designed were for tall riders. Elite can custom build for you if needed but their stock bikes work fine for most people.

Call David @ Elite Bicycles (www.elitebicycles.com) for more info.

Hope that helps.

Steve H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2nd the recommendation for Griffen. I'm 200 lbs and love mine... That said, all tri-bikes are somewhat one dimensional - just be sure you're going to keep doing tri's before commiting 4-figures on bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think you have several TI options. TI has been around since 1953. Its not a flash in the pan material in the bike industry and is the most durable material you will find. And thanks to the Chinese, you can get a TI bike at a reasonable price from Airborne and a few other importers. If you have the budget, the safest bet for quality and warranty still falls on a US boutique TI bike builder like Litespeed, Moots, or Merlin. But, I would recommend TI, especially if you travel. Scratches to TI add character. Dents on Aluminum mean you'll be looking to replace the frame soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titan-flex. That beam will make your butt and boyz think they'd died and gone to heaven, if it's anything like my softRide. The frame is supposed to be pretty stiff.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're looking for a road bike, I don't think it matters too much. 215 ain't all that heavy. You'll likely be able to make just about any frame flex quite a bit. I bought a Klein when I weighed about 220 and it was just fine. I still ride it and really like it. Cannondales and Kleins would be plenty stiff. But there's lots of bikes out there that would work for you.

If you do start looking at tri bikes, as a general rule aero tubing is more flexible laterally.

I'd be wary of many recommendstions based on personal ownership (including mine) you very rarely hear anyone say, "yeah, my new bike is really soft and flexible. The ride is harsh too." 99% of the time, anyone's new bike is "super stiff but rides like like a dream, and has nice vertical compliance."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kestrel Talon...2002 model, if I remember correctly...the BB isn't nearly as stiff as I thought it would be. I used to have powercranks on it, and thought the side-to-side movement under load was due to the clutches in the cranks. But, I've since had regular cranks as well as Rotorcranks on it...the Rotors are the stiffest by far, but, the BB visibly moves side to side. Ves Mandaric could make you something that would hold up well and be stiff. Even the Scandium aero-tubed Yaqui BB was stiffer than the Talon BB! Surprised me on both counts! So, if maximum stiffness is what you desire, I don't think you'll find it in the Talon BB. The Titan Flex is very stiff, if you'd consider a beam bike, like docfuel suggested...it is rated to hold over 300 lbs riders in some configurations.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a bike for a clydesdale [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the one that fits you the best! I can't believe Mr. Demerly hasn't chimed in on this yet. But, it's true. If you get measured, hopefully your retailer can point you to bikes that are likely to fit you better than other bikes. You'll perform your best on one that fits.

I'm 6'2", 225, and have a Litespeed Tuscany, which fit me best.
Last edited by: treebeard: Feb 4, 05 8:59
Quote Reply