Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommend a Roller
Quote | Reply
I do almost all of my riding indoors. (that is in part due to the 6 months of winter that I get in Chicago and part due to choice). I have a Tacx Smart trainer. I currently use TrainerRoad, but am considering adding on or switching to Zwift just for something different. I currently do 3 rides a week at a base pace with 1 higher intensity VO2 ride each week, but may soon switch to a sweet spot plan. I have a power meter.

I'm thinking of adding a set of Rollers to better mimic road riding and make my transition back to road next (late) Spring less jarring. I'd like to ride in some group rides without bike handling being an issue.

DCRainmakers recent post didn't really touch on the topic other than to mention InsideRide. Is the $1200 worth it though? That's 3x what I paid for my smart trainer and the price makes me back. Elite has the Arion Digitial Smart B for about half that price, but the reviews are meh and claim accuracy is an issue.

What roller would you recommend?

Is there somewhere to try the InsideRide rollers before purchasing? Their website doesn't have a Dealer link.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a Roller [Apollo526] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are not traveling with Rollers, Inside Ride e-motion are considered the best. They have a big foot print and don't collapses. Bottomline, Quality made, features to keep you on them when you are day dreaming and not paying attention. Great feel and three resistances modes make them pretty sweet

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a Roller [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
If you are not traveling with Rollers, Inside Ride e-motion are considered the best. They have a big foot print and don't collapses. Bottomline, Quality made, features to keep you on them when you are day dreaming and not paying attention. Great feel and three resistances modes make them pretty sweet

No doubt they are the best - but are they worth the 2x price for other "smart" rollers and the over $1000 more for a $150 Nashbar roller? I'm leaning toward yes for the smart function + the safety features, but want to hear from others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a smart trainer and power meter, it's probably not worth the extra money. Maybe splurge on Kreitlers if you want slightly better quality than Nashbar, but I rotate in a pair of 18 year old Minoura rollers when I get tired of my smart trainer and they work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have cyclops Hammer and the second gen EMotion rollers I bought used for 400 bucks. I probably split my time between the two. If I could do it again I would have bought the emotions with smart control and not gotten the hammer. Even with the rocker plate I made for the hammer the rollers just feel way better.
I think there is a set for sale in the classifieds here
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend a Roller [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the InsideRide. I’ve got the previous generation dumb version, and they are great hooked up a bike with a PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never tried the inside ride e-motion or any other smart rollers. I bought a set of the cheaper ($130ish) Nashbar rollers about a year ago. I've enjoyed learning to ride rollers and mixing them into training. I quickly discovered the cheap Nashbar rollers didn't offer enough resistance for any high intensity work. They were perfect for steady easy rides at about 200 watts, but they forced a cadence of 110 for anything above about 250 watts. I fixed that for $5 by adding a row of magnets next to one of the rear rollers. Now, I can do true interval work on the rollers; not just endurance or tempo efforts. The only drawback so far...I have hard time getting enough resistance during a sprint finish in Zwift races. Even with the added magnets, I'm probably capped at about 500-600 watts at 120 rpm in 53-11.

I also converted this same set of rollers to "motion" by adding rollerblade wheels and a wood frame. That probably cost me about $20. So basically for a total of $150, I got a set of "motion" rollers with enough resistance to do 300-400 watt intervals.

One more note - maybe all rollers are this way, but the Nashbar rollers require a wrench and about 10 minutes to move the front roller. My tri bike has a wheelbase that is a few inches longer than my road bike. I have to move the front roller forward/backward depending on which bike I'm using. This involves loosening the bolts that hold all three rollers to the frame so I can pry the front of the frame wide enough to get the axle out and into a different set of holes. Some kind of adjustment slot instead of multiple axle holes would be much quicker. Anyway, just a minor hassle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride Sportcrafters with the progressive resistance drum on the rear. You can flip the drum around if you don't want progressive resistance but I've never done that.

I don't have a PM but winter train with PerfPro. It has a virtual power curve in the software that works good enough for me... you have a PM so you've got a leg up there.

https://www.sportcrafters.com/...verdrive-pro-rollers

Top notch rollers, I've had great support and they mean lifetime warranty. I'm on my second frame from rust damage, they're a great company IME. Current frame is still going great and powder coated I think... seems to be holding up better than my first one.
Last edited by: xeon: Nov 20, 18 4:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are getting a range of responses here which is good. Here's my personal thoughts.

If you already have a smart trainer, that you hook up with Zwift or something similar, then I would say, just get regular dumb rollers - there will be significant benefits from A) Learning to rides these B) Using them for easier just below tempo like training sessions.

No they will not offer mush resistance - but that is the whole point - it teaches to to smooth out your pedal stroke and ready steady at a high RPM. Most triathletes have a poor pedal stroke.

If you want to go ALL IN, and have the rollers hooked up to Zwift, monitor power etc . . then the Inside Ride Rollers are the way to go - they are absolutely brilliant in this regard but personally I really don't see the need for them if you have a stationary smart trainer already.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply