Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Reasonably Priced Tri Suit
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for IMTX and I'm (way) behind on the tri suit selection portion. I thought I had a Zoot one I liked, but despite my best efforts to be happy with it, it's not the right size. Now I'm trying to find another one on short notice. Looking around, I feel like all I'm seeing are really expensive lines ($260+). I'm probably needing a large, and it seems like a substantial number of brands are just sold out in anything other than the highest prices models or the entry/sprint ones.

Anyone have suggestions for quality ones suitable for IM that won't break the bank? Ideally, I would find something in the $150-$200 range. Or, should I just accept the time penalty and change clothing in transition?

IMTX is my only planned IM. After that, it'll be HIM, OLY, and sprints.
Quote Reply
Re: Reasonably Priced Tri Suit [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relatively new company based out of Boulder that manufactures in California, Mach Apparel. A few bucks over $200 after the RACE2021 10% discount code. Availability in all sizes. Also kind of neat that they're made from 70% recycled water bottles.

Disclosure: I don't have any affiliation with them (as of yet), but did just have a chat with the founder yesterday. They've been to the wind tunnel during the production of all the current items and have plans to go back for updates, so I think they're seeing the whole picture.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Reasonably Priced Tri Suit [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IMTX cancellation gets rid of my urgency on this so I'll have a bit more time. I'll have to decide if my Desoto Mobius suit will get me through IM Lubbock 70.3.

One part of my brain tells me not to buy the first generation of anything. The other sides tells me I can't resist shiny new products:).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check eBay. Look for new, name brand suits people are getting rid of, not the $30 suits from China. A year ago I was selling $200 Pearl Izumi sleeved tri suits there and they were going for ~$75. Also check the ST classifieds.

For an IM, also consider what your porta potty usage is likely to be, and if a two piece would be a good option.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size. I have a small and a medium Castelli PR in grey I would sell for $225

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i guess for a warm race the velotec aero suit is really good and more often then not it tests quite good aerodynamically. superflexy and thin material. i cant say for sure but i guess that makes it also short lived.I store nutriton in front of my suit in races and for that its a bit complicated when you run out t1 as there is not a lot compresion to hold stuff in place. but once on bike its all good.
so if you buy without testing this would be my go to suit for warmer races besides its the only suit that does not restrict me wearing it in the swim . i use it as my A race suit to keep it in good nick.
from my experience they are good to deal with, and their sizing advise if you ask them is quite good and they have an in house tailor .
I have also used their tt suit in an full distance tri and cut arms half , in my mind a great option for colder full distance races only drawback not easy to get on ... but really good compression.
in my mind the tt suit with the tri suit arms would be the best suit ever ..but again for a hot race it would be the tri suit .
Quote Reply
Re: Reasonably Priced Tri Suit [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure I'll be needing a size large. Thanks though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huub is having an ex-display sale at the moment. Picked up a DS Long Course for about $115 buckaroos. Unfortunately it looks like they're all sold out now?
Quote Reply
Re: Reasonably Priced Tri Suit [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hehe. Huub was actually the last site I visited which prompted my sold out comment. Didn’t seem they have any larges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
Hehe. Huub was actually the last site I visited which prompted my sold out comment. Didn’t seem they have any larges.

There's a pretty good chance I'm the guy that snagged the last large in the black kit...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of Castelli suits. Their best deals are directly from their web site, in the "off the back" page. You can often find their stuff for half price.

There are plenty of high quality companies out there, but at least with Castelli, I notice that their suits fit very snugly but are still very flexible. I have a few basic Orca suits that fit me well, but the fabric is much tighter and doesn't have as much give.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Voler has a reasonably priced tri-suit. I've worn mine for a couple of years now. No claim to aeroness, but it is very comfy and at $75 on sale, very inexpensive.

https://www.voler.com/...e/product/li/1010K14
Last edited by: mgreer: Mar 18, 21 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Relatively new company based out of Boulder that manufactures in California, Mach Apparel. A few bucks over $200 after the RACE2021 10% discount code. Availability in all sizes. Also kind of neat that they're made from 70% recycled water bottles.

Disclosure: I don't have any affiliation with them (as of yet), but did just have a chat with the founder yesterday. They've been to the wind tunnel during the production of all the current items and have plans to go back for updates, so I think they're seeing the whole picture.

Thanks for pointing out a new company! The fact that it was tested is interesting, but aren't the results of that testing an important missing piece? Its strange that they advertise that they tested without posting the results. The implication--intentional or not-- is that the testing didn't go well. Anything you are aware of and can share?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Voler on sale for $77.40 is a steal.
Quote Reply
Re: Reasonably Priced Tri Suit [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take it the pad is suitable for an IM distance ride?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I’ve done numerous 5ish hour rides in mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Reasonably Priced Tri Suit [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
https://kiwamitri.com/collections/sale/products/spider-ld1-trisuit?variant=35610507575458

https://kiwamitri.com/...riant=35610539131042

Great deals and great suits....

I have both of those in the short distance version, they are among the best I've used.
Quote Reply
Re: Reasonably Priced Tri Suit [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Thanks for pointing out a new company! The fact that it was tested is interesting, but aren't the results of that testing an important missing piece? Its strange that they advertise that they tested without posting the results. The implication--intentional or not-- is that the testing didn't go well. Anything you are aware of and can share?
That's a valid question, and I'm not ignoring it. I'll follow up and see what I can come up with. I do know that there is another wind tunnel visit in the works for a gen 2 suit as well. Primarily testing sleeve types. I might be more involved with that model and will be able to provide a lot more info!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Mach Apparel stuff looks pretty good. I sent them an inquiry on their website a few days ago and didn't hear back. Tried emailing them now and their email address is bouncing back to me as invalid. They don't have a phone number listed. Does anyone know how to get in touch with this company?
Quote Reply
Re: Reasonably Priced Tri Suit [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
khanlon wrote:
The Mach Apparel stuff looks pretty good. I sent them an inquiry on their website a few days ago and didn't hear back. Tried emailing them now and their email address is bouncing back to me as invalid. They don't have a phone number listed. Does anyone know how to get in touch with this company?
Woops! I've alerted them and he's checking in on that.

Go ahead and reach out directly to the founder, Sean (sean@machapparel.com)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Castelli. Great suits, reasonable price. But size up. I'm a medium everywhere except Castelli where I'm a large.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To follow up on this:

I picked up the Voler suit on sale. The fit and comfort was great. I've put in multiple long rides in it (5-7 hrs each) and it was great. I also did a swim session that 60 minute run and it was great.

However, during my HIM, I ran into trouble with the pad. It was good on the swim and bike, but on the run, the water I was dumping on myself started to make the pad stick to me. No pain during the race, but I could feel it clinging to me. I didn't have any chaffing, but when I changed after the race, I found I had a raw area around the whole perimeter of the pad. You could have measured pad dimensions off the red line. It was very uncomfortable/painful if I let any fabric cling to it (boo humidity), but it cleared up by morning.

The edge of the pad is unfinished so I suspect that might have been the cause. I'll probably test it more to see if I can improve it instead of hunting for another one already.
Quote Reply
Re: Reasonably Priced Tri Suit [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjgwoody wrote:
Another vote for Castelli. Great suits, reasonable price. But size up. I'm a medium everywhere except Castelli where I'm a large.

Castelli is nice but having used both Castelli and Zoot, my vote is for Zoot. The pad on the Zoot is minimal and doesn't have any friction points. On occasion I would get saddle sores from my Castelli San Remo.
Quote Reply
Re: Reasonably Priced Tri Suit [Raw Vegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any particular Zoot model you like?
Quote Reply

Prev Next