Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear hub stiffness...
Quote | Reply
Just how "spinny" (such a technical term) should the rear cassette spindle-thing be?

I put a new cassette on my new-to-me American Classic carbon's and the hub is so stiff I can barely move it.

Is the hub shot? Would putting it on my bike and riding help break it in?

Help!!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Rear hub stiffness... [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you mean the axle, it should spin smoothly and easily with finger pressure. Take the wheel off the bike and the cassette off the wheel. Can you turn the axle easily or is it still tight. If its tight, take it to a shop and have them adjust it. If it spins easily something is incompatible with the cassette and hub. You may need a thin spacer before the cassette, but I'd call American classic for advice.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Rear hub stiffness... [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

It's the cassette body itself, even w/o the cassette, that seems very sluggish.

I suppose I could take my Krysirium off and compare, but that would be too easy compared to asking you folks for advice!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I hold onto the actual axle thing on the non-drive side, it spins fine...

???

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a set of Planet X Pro Carbon 50's w/ American Classic hubs. I think they're the 240 version. I also had a bit of stiffness and to remedy this, I took off the non-drive side locknut and backed off the nut that holds the bearing/boot to the axle. According to the AmC website, that nut was only supposed to be finger tight whereas mine required a wrench to remove. They give a pretty decent explanation on their website. My wheel is rolling much smoother now. But I gotta admit, I'm tempted to upgrade to ceramic bearings. Good luck.

Peace,
Rob

"Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude."
Quote Reply
Re: Rear hub stiffness... [rob2681] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob,

Thanks! That's what I was wondering when I saw those two lil nuts (ok... everyone stop giggling) on the non-drive side.

I'll give it a shot!!!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd try adjusting the 2 nuts also (he he). The casette body can be a bit sluggish. It wont effect anything while pedaling (because it is not spinning in relation to the wheel) but will slow you down a bit quicker when you aren't pedaling. The real problem if its too tight is that the chain can go slack and get tangled when coasting.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like your problem is mostly solved, but we've found here that American Classic wheels ride better after a few hours on the road. The 6 pawl design comes well lubricated and after a few hours of riding it definitely loosens up.

Remember to use the spacers they give you if you put a Shimano cassette on. If you put a SRAM or their AC Conversion Cassette on you should be ok. Shimano cassettes will shift on the freebody hub without the provided shims.

------------------------------------
http://www.racewheelrental.com
The easiest race wheel rental solution.
Pick up race wheels from your favorite local bike shop! https://www.racewheelrental.com/findshop/index.php
Quote Reply