Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear Race Wheel Info
Quote | Reply
I just ordered my renn disc, and am very excited.

I was wondering what do do about a casette/chain, etc?

Would you purchase a new ultegra casette, or should i use the one that i am already using. I didnt plan on switching the chain, so i was thinking just flip the one from my training wheels onto the disc?

Also, is this a hard process? pay the shop, or do it yourself?

Thanks,

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Race Wheel Info [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin, I tend to think replacing the chain every year as routine maintenance isn't a bad idea. If you're using an old cassette/chain combo you should be fine as long as there is no obvious wear. If you're getting a new cassette I'd definately also get a new chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, the chain and cassette wear together... bad combinations are a worn chain and a new cassette, or a new cassette and a worn chain... If they aren't worn than its no big deal... what you could do is buy a race specific chain and cassette with one of those removable links... if you were anal about these things...

Don't pay your mechanic to do this, all you need is a chain whip and a locking remover thingy... if you buy from performance it should only cost 20 dollars... these are tools you should own anyways... also this way you can customize your cassette for the course you are riding... shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do

The only thing is you should learn how to adjust your rear derailer to make sure it shifts properly when doing this... it may just need a little tightening or loosening of the cable, the high low setting should be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Race Wheel Info [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This raises a question for the group. The LBS bike mechanic recently told me he thinks riders should replace their chain much more frequently than their cassette. He states that he would recommend a new chain every 1500 miles and a new cassette only after 10,000 miles or so. I've heard the advice about replacing the two together and am curious what others are doing?
Doing the chain alone replacement would be cheaper than forking over for both together every time.
Also, what type of preventative mainenence with mileage guidelines do people follow for drivetrain change and cables?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Race Wheel Info [Nate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually replace my chain once per year and do not replace the chain and cassette as a combo. I have 3 different cassettes that I might use at any given time and I have no desire to toss them all out each year when I get a new chain. If things aren't shifting smoothly or if the chain is skipping, I'll feel it. If the cassette is really worn, I'll notice it. It's then that I'll toss the cassette.

Out of curiousity, do you cassette/chain combo guys also toss your chainrings and derailleur pullys when you ditch the chain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't replace a derailer unless it was out of line or broken

I change my housing and cables one a year...
I change my chain once or twice a year...
I change cassettes at the same time as chain rings... which is once in a blue moon,

The best preventative maintenance is with cleaning the cahin religiously... this prevents a lot of the wear on the drive train in general, keeps you from having to change your cassette.

In my previous post I was referring to noticably worn cassettes, noticably worn chains are harder to pick out...
Cassettes are expensive but for such an important part of the bike (it moves the wheel) I think that is not a place you should skimp on.

I think the 10,000 sounds like a long distance for a cassette though, though not inconceiavble if the chain is always fresh... the lenghtening of the chain is the main thing that will cause uneven wear of the teeth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Divorce your chain/cassette maintenance issue from your new wheel issue. If its time to replace those items, do it. If not, just move them between wheels. If you don't have the right tools, they are fairly inexpensive to get at your LBS. The process takes about 2 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll consider myself "lucky" in that I only have one bike, one set of wheels, one cassette, so logistically maintenance timing is much easier (though I would love to be more unlucky in this regard :-)) I replace the cassette and chain every 2000 miles. I figure the extra $40 for a new Ultegra cassette is cheap insurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he's right...the more often you replace your chain, the less often you have to replace your cassette. if you're really good about keeping a newish chain on, you will only have to replace your cassette very rarely. if you let the chain wear too long, the cassette will wear too.

tommy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
between 1500-2000 miles per chain, depending on use conditions. this will give you 4-5 chains per cassette. chainrings wear much more slowly, but replace them when the teeth look like sharks teeth. razor sharp.

cables and housing, if maintained, don't need to be replaced. unless you notice poor shifting, don't bother. this assumes you've been keeping them lubricated, and they're not rusted, or dirty inside. if they get nasty, they will need to be replaced. a broken in, dialed in and clean set of cables and housing is a beautiful thing. don't go replacing it just because.

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Race Wheel Info [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I replace my chain about every three months (5000km) and cassettes get changed when shifting and slipping is a problem with them. I only have one bike, so it gets used a bit more than if I had a dedicated race bike. 10k miles sounds short to me for a cassette, you can probably go farther. I can usually get about 1.5 times that out of a cassette before it starts to have little issues.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply