Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear Cassette question
Quote | Reply
Doing IMMT next weekend. I live in FL and normally have an 11-23 11speed on my wheel. Changed it to 11-28 for the race but when I was doing a test ride, I was very annoyed by missing one of the middle rings. It seems like I go from 95 cadence to 78.
A) will I have the same problem in a varied terrain that’s not as flat as FL?

B) if yes, can I put in the missing ring from my 11-23 and take out one of the other rings? I don’t think I can take out the 11 or 12, but perhaps the 13? I can’t find any 12-28’s being sold anywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Cassette question [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The SRAM 11-28 cassettes are what you need. Here's how they are set up: 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,25,28

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
I was very annoyed by missing one of the middle rings.
Shimano 11-28 goes 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28; your issue probably has to do with the lack of a 16T cog.

You could try a SRAM 11-28 cassette. They add more tightly-spaced gearing on the high end by sacrificing the spacing at the low end, 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-22-25-28. The caveat with this choice is that the 19-22 jump is very large...

Alternately:
Quote:
I can’t find any 12-28’s being sold anywhere.
Dura-Ace cassettes are available in 12-28. Obviously they're pricey, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Changing your front ring might be a solution too. There are gear chart calculators online that could help you with this. When I TT’d a lot, I needed a gear between 16 & 17. Putting a 54 on solved that problem for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Cassette question [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah... well if he's going with anything other than a 50/34 to IMMT he's going to regret it on the 2nd loop up Duplessis :)

turningscrews wrote:
Changing your front ring might be a solution too. There are gear chart calculators online that could help you with this. When I TT’d a lot, I needed a gear between 16 & 17. Putting a 54 on solved that problem for me.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Cassette question [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you only had a 50 up front you would lose so much time on 117 and Monte Ryan from spinning out. I would not recommend that unless someone was a very weak cyclist just trying to survive.

Quote | Reply
bullshit... You'll be going 39mph @110rpm with a 50 vs 40.7 mph @ 110 rpm with a 52. No one in their right mind would still be pedaling at that speed.... just get in a tuck and enjoy the free ride.

Sbradley11 wrote:
If you only had a 50 up front you would lose so much time on 117 and Monte Ryan from spinning out. I would not recommend that unless someone was a very weak cyclist just trying to survive.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do have 50/34 I can swap for 52/36 is on there.
FTP 275. 175lbs. Do I need to?
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Cassette question [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
I was very annoyed by missing one of the middle rings.
Shimano 11-28 goes 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28; your issue probably has to do with the lack of a 16T cog.

You could try a SRAM 11-28 cassette. They add more tightly-spaced gearing on the high end by sacrificing the spacing at the low end, 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-22-25-28. The caveat with this choice is that the 19-22 jump is very large...

Alternately:
Quote:
I can’t find any 12-28’s being sold anywhere.
Dura-Ace cassettes are available in 12-28. Obviously they're pricey, though.

Thx. I’ll get the SRAM. I assume it’s compatible with Ultegra 8050?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not familiar with SRAM components. Is this the right one?

https://www.amazon.com/...4&th=1&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Thx. I’ll get the SRAM. I assume it’s compatible with Ultegra 8050?
Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suit yourself. Different strokes I guess. I would just never ride a 50 and give up the top end speed. Pressure on the pedals is a good thing, especially on that course. There are not many places you really should need to tuck in. La Conception and a couple spots coming back on Duplessis. That’s really about it.

Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Not familiar with SRAM components. Is this the right one?

https://www.amazon.com/...4&th=1&psc=1
That should work fine, yes. PG1170 is the cassette associated with their Force drivetrain; you could also use a PG1130 (Rival) if you want to go cheaper, or an XG-1190 (Red) if you want something really fancy.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Cassette question [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx all.
I’ve done IMWI and IMLOU.
I’ll be oknon hills. Just need that cadence black hole back.
Quote Reply