Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Really close to first bike..
Quote | Reply
I am really close to a new bike. Looking to get a road bike. I went to competitivecyclist.com and got these measurements . I will of course have a pro fit me for final time. Just humor me here. Based on these measurements, I think I am going to need a 58 cm road bike (in the felt f45 anyway). I am 6'1.

Seat tube range c-c 57.7--58.2

seat tube range c-t 59.4--59.9

top tube length 56.9--57.3

stem length 12.2--12.8

bb-saddle position 76.3--78.3

saddle-handlebar 57.5--58.1

saddle setback 7.8--8.2

seatpost type-- setback

Now, do I just take these measurements, compare them to the measurements of the different bikes and figure out which one matches these the closest, or do you get them as close as possible and do some tweaking to finalize fit?? Or does anyone have a clue what I just posted.
Quote Reply
Re: Really close to first bike.. [pakistani_pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I do give you credit for at least being in touch with the need for fit and also developing a darn good understanding for what you need to know. Good job. I bet you'll do OK!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Really close to first bike.. [pakistani_pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's cool to play around with numbers and all, but the bottom line for a road bike is the top tube measurement. Find something with a 57 cm effective top tube and you'll be set. Don't pay any attention to the nominal size as it could be anywhere from a 56 (Independent Fabrications) to a 60 (Gios).

The thing that makes road bike easier is the parallel seat and head tube angles. Since most tri bikes have a 73 degree head angle and a 76+ degree seat tube angle, they are a bit more complicated.
Quote Reply
Re: Really close to first bike.. [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, lets take the Felt F45 for example-- on the 58 its top tube length (c-c) is 577.9, could you move the seat forward or get a shorter stem to get to the desired 570 or just move on towards another bike.
Quote Reply