Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Realistic daily running target
Quote | Reply
Want to do a charity run.
How realistic is 24x5km in 24 hours.
I have an easy running style, recover well and don’t get many niggles/injury.
I’ve topped out around 180-200km a week mainly due to time constraints but I want to do a charity run.
Tips/advice on completing one 5km every hour for 24 hours?
Any big do’s don’ts I should be aware of?
Quote Reply
Re: Realistic daily running target [LukeIzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you allowed to start out with longer runs in the beginning hours and do less/hour as the hours wear on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not an ultra runner, but from what I've seen it seems very doable. You could likely walk the distance in the later hours if needed and still get a 5k per hour.

Good luck and have fun..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the running mileage that you listed you should have no trouble with this at all. It is a little less than 75 miles in 24 hours. Michael Wardian just won the Quarantine Backyard Ultra with 262 miles in 62 hours (4.167 miles per hour starting at the top of every hour=100 miles per 24 hours).

Having crewed one of the Backyard Ultra races I recommend that you have your nutrition all set up in advance on a table, comfortable chair, sets of weather appropriate clothes to change in to during the 24 hours, blankets, extra shoes, socks, anti chafe and steely resolve as the early morning hours can get mentally challenging until the sun comes up. Stay steady and don't run too fast. Some light stretching, foam rolling between runs seems to be helpful for some people.
Good luck and enjoy the challenge!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I’ve topped out around 180-200km a week mainly due to time constraints

I would assume that a 5km every hour for 24h would be fairly easy for you with your high mileage. Is it an organized run or just something you are planning to do yourself? If you are doing it yourself, wouldn't 100miles in 24h be a cooler challenge?

Jogging 5km in 30 minutes then standing around waiting for 30 minutes for the first several repeats sounds pretty dull to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously easy.

120 km would have you BOP in just about any 24 hour ultra.

Given your training miles, if you run around 3 hours for a marathon, you'd probably be able to run 120 km in 12 hours.

I've known at least 3 guys to run over 3 km each hour for 1000 hours. 5 km for 24 hours really isn't much at all.

If you said 5 miles each hour, that could get interesting, depending on how fast a runner you are.
Quote Reply
Re: Realistic daily running target [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
If you said 5 miles each hour, that could get interesting, depending on how fast a runner you are.

The Backyard Ultra [both Laz's "Official" one, and the #QuarantineBackyardUltra 's held virtually around the world this past weekend] stipulate a 4.167 loop/lap

There's a winner, and everyone else is a DNF = no second place

https://www.si.com/...brunner-disqualified

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This past weekend I took part in the Quarantine Backyard Ultra. I've never done an Ultra event, and have only been very casually training for some time now. I lasted 12 hours of 6.71km per hour. I found the breaks and then starting again to be the hardest part. I don't have any experience with really high milage, and don't have great running form (slow leg turnover).

Given your milage and easy running style, in my uneducated opinion I expect you can last 24-hours. Good luck with this!
Quote Reply
Re: Realistic daily running target [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
This past weekend I took part in the Quarantine Backyard Ultra. I've never done an Ultra event, and have only been very casually training for some time now. I lasted 12 hours of 6.71km per hour.

Excellent work!!! Being off Twitter all weekend, I didn't find out about it until mid-morning Monday, so I had to go down the rabbit-hole to catch up on all the pix & results

Daniel Clarke wrote:
I found the breaks and then starting again to be the hardest part.

A couple times a year, Screaming Tortise Athletic Club holds a 20K Solo Relay, where you run four 5Ks, six hours apart [that was the original format, anyway; we've tweaked it somewhat to allow breaks of as little as 4 hours]

Yeah, getting up and going again, even after a long break is tough, can't imagine what a break as short as 15-20 minutes would do to you

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this supposed to be a team/relay event that you're doing solo? I can't imagine a charity wrangling together too many people to do that haha
Quote Reply
Re: Realistic daily running target [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to do something that doesn’t beat my legs up too much!!!
Quote Reply