Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Real or not? How to spot a fake Cervelo S5
Quote | Reply
Your help, please?

There's a guy selling "Cervelo S5" frames for a song... I know they have to be fake, but how do you tell?

Here's a picture of the frame in question:

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Real or not? How to spot a fake Cervelo S5 [sluiper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well for on where and how the seat stays meet the frame on top and then there to the seat post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much and where? It looks like it may be a real frame at a glance. Other cervelo fakes have the bottle bosses in the wrong spot. Those look right. Could be stolen?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask for a serial number and verify it with cervelo. That's be the easiest way of telling.
Quote Reply
Re: Real or not? How to spot a fake Cervelo S5 [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yip, I've seen those, but these seem to be in the right place, as you say.

It's doesn't seem to be stolen, unless he stole a truckload of these, together with some Pinarellos and Colnagos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sluiper wrote:
but how do you tell?

=

sluiper wrote:
There's a guy selling "Cervelo S5" frames for a song...

You are definitely right to be suspicious and, either way, you won't get the warranty coverage. Feel free to send me any info on this 'deal' and I am happy to verify for you.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The paint squeme looks odd (though nice) for a cervelo. Unfortunatelly, China and Taiwan are quick to make replicas of products in high demand. Though they look the same, the quality of the carbon construction is very questionable on knock offs.
Quote Reply
Re: Real or not? How to spot a fake Cervelo S5 [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, I understand that. Just interested in how you tell the fakes from the real ones, as this one looks pretty close.

If I was offered this as second hand at close to the "real" price, it would be hard for me to tell the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks to be a cartridge bottom bracket instead of BBright. That'd be a dead giveaway. Otherwise I'm not sure I can tell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a fake replica. Replicas always change something. They forgot to put the accent aigu on the other e ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To tell them apart visually, you really just have to have a keen eye. The first thing I noticed in this photo was that the front derailleur hanger is the wrong colour. And I just happen to know that since I have a lot of experience with the bikes (I can also go back into the warehouse and look at a sample if need be). The fork shape looks a little funny and the drop outs also look like they are aluminum and not carbon. Otherwise, it is tough to spot the differences and they are easy to hide in photos.

The best way to know that you are getting a real Cervélo is to purchase through an authorized Cervélo retailer. We only sell through authorized retailers. If this guy had some real Cervélo frames for sale, then something else fishy is going on.

Thanks for posting this by the way. It is good for everyone to know that scams exist. The last thing you want to spend your money on is something that is not tested and could fail with pretty big consequences...

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David Byer wrote:
...Thanks for posting this by the way. It is good for everyone to know that scams exist. The last thing you want to spend your money on is something that is not tested and could fail with pretty big consequences...

You mean, "Thanks for posting this... so now our lawyers will be on this guy like pit bulls on a rib eye."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it matter? They are both made for the lowest possible manufacturing cost in China. You don't have to worry about a warranty because if it breaks then you can pick up a new one for a song. If you can get a standard BB then that is a big plus.

If you contact the seller than you can probably get a frame painted any color you want. Try that with Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe what you have is a copy.Very easy to spot: 1) the top of copy seat post is about 20mm thick & square, the original is about 10cm & very aero. 2) the two clamp holes of the seatpost are silver(aluminum) while the original is black(carbon). 3) seat clamp & deraileur hanger on the copy are silver, the originals are black. 4) rear deraileur cable of copy exits from the rear of chainstay,original exits from the top of chainstay.Had the chance to see a copy up close.I scrutinized it top to bottom but disn't get the chance to ride. I own an original & love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Real or not? How to spot a fake Cervelo S5 [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
white paint also appears to go farther down the seatstays...
Quote Reply
Re: Real or not? How to spot a fake Cervelo S5 [AmaDablam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AmaDablam wrote:
Does it matter? They are both made for the lowest possible manufacturing cost in China. You don't have to worry about a warranty because if it breaks then you can pick up a new one for a song. If you can get a standard BB then that is a big plus.

If you contact the seller than you can probably get a frame painted any color you want. Try that with Cervelo.

Thats silly and incorrect. Cervelos may be made in China and by a mfg that makes them for the lowest cost possible that meets Cervelos, design, materials, and QC. But a copy is made with regard to none of those things.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seatpost looks bogus as well. That's what stands out to me first. Specifically the two-hole. BB is similarly curious looking.
Quote Reply
Re: Real or not? How to spot a fake Cervelo S5 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion the OP is the one with the Fakes and he testing this forum to see if the frames can pass. just a thought... no mention of the site/location or price
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The front fork -> frame joint seems wrong.

The hole for the rear derailleur cable (near the BB) is in the wrong place.

wholesale bike frames selling it?
Their knock-offs are the same.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Real or not? How to spot a fake Cervelo S5 [carbonite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although thats cynical, its also quite plausible.

FWIW, I appreciate the Cervelo guys posting here on ST and offering advice FOC. Moreover, its always worth supporting companies who invest in innovative products and support the sports who use them. You can possibly save some short term $$ by hunting in the grey market but....caveat emptor - buyer beware.

carbonite wrote:
In my opinion the OP is the one with the Fakes and he testing this forum to see if the frames can pass. just a thought... no mention of the site/location or price
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carbonite wrote:

Uh...thanks for the opinion on a thread from 2012?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carbonite wrote:

Or you could check his/her post history which would probably give you a better idea of what they are up to. But that would probably be too much effort, it's easier just to throw around baseless accusations instead.

Are you going to call me out as being a secondary account for Sluiper now too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I am looking at getting a cervelo P3 but don’t no if it is face or not the SN is Snp3d17h00362 any way I can check ?
Quote Reply
Re: Real or not? How to spot a fake Cervelo S5 [Mick9420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Serial number

Got a picture?
Carbon dropouts, hanger not riveted on, correct BB standard.
Last edited by: lyrrad: Feb 2, 18 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: Real or not? How to spot a fake Cervelo S5 [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
AmaDablam wrote:

Thats silly and incorrect. Cervelos may be made in China and by a mfg that makes them for the lowest cost possible that meets Cervelos, design, materials, and QC. But a copy is made with regard to none of those things.

Also they're stealing the Cervelo brand name in the process. I would be relatively OK with a copy that said "here's our best attempt at copying the S5 for super cheap. We call it the EsseCinco." But stealing the branding is unethical and theft.
Quote Reply

Prev Next