Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Re useable master link 10 speed
Quote | Reply
I have a pile of bicycles with 10-speed drive lines and I generally buy a bunch of the SRAM chains and have never had an issue with removing them for cleaning.

I only recently became aware that the links on those chains are designed for one-time use and I have been violating that edict to a significant degree over the years.

Were I to change my ways and start using a proper link for this job, what should I buy instead? I stopped using the shimano's years ago because the black pin was an annoyance, but my understanding is they have gone to a quick link also.

Should have stuck with 9 speed from the Reagan years I guess
Quote Reply
Re: Re useable master link 10 speed [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use / and reuse / and reuse / and reuse... SRAM powerlinks and KMC 10 speed links (and 11 speed links as well on my mountain bikes). I wouldn't think twice about reusing a link. I do find anything over a 9 speed I have a tool for removing and properly seating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up some KMC 10-speed links the other day, and they specifically called out "reusable" in big letters on the package. I believe Wipperman is the same, and also they are designed to be removable by hand, although I haven't tried that in person.

I read something interesting recently on one of the forums, that the quick links seemed to wear more quickly than the rest of the chain. The poster was saying that when measuring a random length of chain, the wear was fine; but when measuring a section that included the quick link, it measured as completely worn out. So it wasn't that the link was weaker per se, but reusing the same link for ages might accelerate drivetrain wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wipperman Connex links. They are available in 9, 10, or 11 speed. They are designed so you can take them on and off with no tools so there is no issue with reuse. I've been using them for years and have never had a problem with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Re useable master link 10 speed [bm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the conex whipperman link. It's the superior product. No tools necessary, and no limits on reuse.

https://www.connexchain.com/...uct/connex-link.html
Quote Reply
Re: Re useable master link 10 speed [rip6mtb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I re-use them as well, probably as many as 10-15 times, but get a new one when putting on a new chain.
Quote Reply
Re: Re useable master link 10 speed [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using Wipperman Connex for years - can take them on and off with your fingers, no tools needed
Quote Reply