Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re-post: what your goggles say about you
Quote | Reply
https://swimswam.com/what-your-goggles-say-about-you/

It's winter in the northern hemisphere, the race year is over, time to work on that long-neglected swim. Time for the miles, staring at the black line. At least it's warm there, right?

What do YOUR goggles say about you?
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swedes definitely say 'real' swimmer. Either old school, been using them for years, or have spent a fortune trying every other goggle out there, and have come back to the $4 answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like I am independent, selective and exact ... hmmm, yes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First comment:

Quote:
Mask-like goggles: you are an adult-onset swimmer, most likely a triathlete. You think it’s worth it to spend 4-5 times the amount of money that a “real” swimmer would pay for goggles that she/he wears 20 hours per week. You wear those goggles 2-3 times per week for a total of < 4000y.
Bingo, haha. Wear what you want, spend but you want, but always know that Swedes are the answer ;)

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goggles have been solved for over 30 years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That swimmers apparently can be just as big of a group of status-conscious douchebags as cyclists.
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
That swimmers apparently can be just as big of a group of status-conscious douchebags as cyclists.

At least its just swimmers and cyclists, and not the rest of the human race.
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Swedes definitely say 'real' swimmer. Either old school, been using them for years, or have spent a fortune trying every other goggle out there, and have come back to the $4 answer.

How the hell is spending like $30 bucks twice a year on good goggles "a fortune"
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is spending $60/year on goggles even necessary?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dunno. I bought a pair of nerd goggles (Aquasphere Eagles, with Rx inserts) 2 years ago. Still going strong.

But, I just switched to contacts specifically so I can get some cooler looking ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
efernand wrote:

How the hell is spending like $30 bucks twice a year on good goggles "a fortune"

Cuz you can get better ones for $8 per year.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Swedes, Speed Socket 2.0, Cobra Ultra pick your lower profile poison.

I was given a pair of Aquasphere to try by the Rep... way too big. I could feel the drag on them on every turn.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobra Ultra is singly the worst fitting thing I have ever put on my face. They don't even touch the bottom portion of my eye. Luckily they fit one of my kids.

Swedes are torture. My eyeballs are not Swede eyeballs, even when I was a "real swimmer"

I seemingly have Tyr eyes. They always fit, even if the Nests are so damn blurry underwater they are like wearing nothing at all
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:

Swedes, Speed Socket 2.0, Cobra Ultra pick your lower profile poison.

I was given a pair of Aquasphere to try by the Rep... way too big. I could feel the drag on them on every turn.

Ooooh. So that's why I'm so slow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been using Aquasphere Kaiman’s for close to a decade. I spend all of $12 a year on them. Comfortable and they don’t leak. Do they cause more drag? Probably, but so does having a large package. So some things you just gotta learn to leave with

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drag from goggles? Seriously....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
Drag from goggles? Seriously....

Yeah, seriously. It's not really the speed reduction, but the increased propensity for them to come off on a hard pushoff or a dive. Plus it feels annoying.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I could figure out how to get swedes to work for me I would totally use them. A- because they look cooler than the mask I wear (adult onset swimmer here) and B- because I'm cheap. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but they just gave me a headache and still leaked.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [splatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
splatt wrote:
If I could figure out how to get swedes to work for me I would totally use them. A- because they look cooler than the mask I wear (adult onset swimmer here) and B- because I'm cheap. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but they just gave me a headache and still leaked.

You had them too tight.

The key to swedes is the nose piece. It takes a bit of practice to get it right, but essentially what you do to get them set up perfectly is to put the eyecups in your eye sockets. just the cups, don't assemble them yet. They should just stick there. If you can't get them to seal like that, then they may never work for you. Look in the mirror and gauge how far apart the sockets are. Next, put the string in and tie it loosely, at roughly the separation you observed. put them back on, and adjust the string so it is taut when the eyecups are seated in your eye socket. If in doubt, leave it a little bit long, what you do is twist the string to fine-tune the fit. Then put the strap on, adjust so it is just tight enough to hold the goggles on your head, and swim. it should feel like you aren't wearing anything at all.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
splatt wrote:

You had them too tight.

The key to swedes is the nose piece. It takes a bit of practice to get it right, but essentially what you do to get them set up perfectly is to put the eyecups in your eye sockets. just the cups, don't assemble them yet. They should just stick there. If you can't get them to seal like that, then they may never work for you. Look in the mirror and gauge how far apart the sockets are. Next, put the string in and tie it loosely, at roughly the separation you observed. put them back on, and adjust the string so it is taut when the eyecups are seated in your eye socket. If in doubt, leave it a little bit long, what you do is twist the string to fine-tune the fit. Then put the strap on, adjust so it is just tight enough to hold the goggles on your head, and swim. it should feel like you aren't wearing anything at all.

I long for that feeling...
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
splatt wrote:

You had them too tight.

Me too, but I'm at work right now and I'd probably get fired.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah - just snip off a piece of the head strap (at a pretty acute angle so you can get it through the holes) and use rubber for the nose piece. I have a, shall we say, sharp nose, and the strings always cut me.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Nah - just snip off a piece of the head strap (at a pretty acute angle so you can get it through the holes) and use rubber for the nose piece. I have a, shall we say, sharp nose, and the strings always cut me.

There's that method too (ran them that way for quite a while, but I much prefer the string.)

That's the nice thing about swedes. They are essentially custom fitted to you.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
jpay wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
{{{snip}}}

it should feel like you aren't wearing anything at all.

Me too, but I'm at work right now and I'd probably get fired.

Probably?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
y_nigel wrote:
efernand wrote:

Cuz you can get better ones for $8 per year.

I buy the Sporti ones for ~3 a pair. I just replace them when they become the slightest bit cloudy. Normally less than once a month and that keeps me under $30 for the year.

I still wish they made me a good swimmer. Sometimes at the races people think I'm good just cuz I'm wearing them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next