Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
ttx_tri wrote:
Well it’s great you are bragging about knowing the athlete. It is pretty low on your part to brag about it. This is life changing for the athlete and will have a definite impact on them both financially and personally. Next time let it be their business and please respect their privacy. Yes, some people know who it is but I don’t see them going out and bragging about it. Grow up!

How did I brag? This athlete is a friend and someone I look up to. Did I give a name?
I live in Alaska. We have good weed up here. Tell your friend to hit the next St.G 70.3 and I’ll hook him up. There, now there is some good too to come from this!
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Anxiety on the swim?

My 1st, 2nd, and 3rd thoughts on reading this response were: no, shit no, and holy mother of god - no!

I'm a control freak (eta, with regard to my self and my safety, I don't care about micromanaging what others do) and by the words of my college friends, THE very person they thought should just calm down with some weed. But I thought they were irresponsible and but by the grace of god lucky to even still be alive in some cases. Ergo, NFW would I intentionally give up my sense of control and combine that with actually risky activities like swimming in open water, or trying to bike fast.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Sep 1, 19 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you are definitely the guy THC would help the most in triathlon.

The big irony is that it's banned in competition, but where it helps is outside of it. I bet this forum is full of obsessive control freaks like yourself who spend sleepless nights and power through ulcers being so concerned about their performance that they self sabotage with stress. Train hard, light one up, relax until it's time to go hard again,
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're off the mark on a few points.
But the bottom line is, feel free to smoke 'em if you got 'em. While I won't be taking situations where I think it's important I have my full wits about me to intentionally compromise that by smoking up, you should feel free to do you.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:

How did I brag? This athlete is a friend and someone I look up to. Did I give a name?

what does the process look like ?

ie

when did they test the athlete ?
When did they tell him/her they were positive ?
How long before it becomes public ?
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Slowman wrote:
trail wrote:
Just pointing out that WADA has a dual mandate. Regulating performance-enhancing drugs *and* athlete safety.

yeah. that's what tygart said to me. at which point i asked about other substances that were as *dangerous* as THC. based on the response to that from anti-doping agencies, i'm highly skeptical of whether they apply the same rigor to that *second* mandate.

If it is for safety can the tests test for impairment rather than just use? Just because you used marijuana and the test picks this up does not mean you are impaired at the time of testing.

No, they cannot. THC can stay in your system for 30 days or longer for very heavy users. If I smoked up last week I’m going to test positive for THC, but unless I’ve done something else in the interim I will not be impaired in the slightest today.

This comes up frequently in DUI/drug cases. There is no per se THC level, like .08 for alcohol so the prosecution has to prove intoxication via other evidence.
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
fulla wrote:
Slowman wrote:
trail wrote:
Just pointing out that WADA has a dual mandate. Regulating performance-enhancing drugs *and* athlete safety.

yeah. that's what tygart said to me. at which point i asked about other substances that were as *dangerous* as THC. based on the response to that from anti-doping agencies, i'm highly skeptical of whether they apply the same rigor to that *second* mandate.

If it is for safety can the tests test for impairment rather than just use? Just because you used marijuana and the test picks this up does not mean you are impaired at the time of testing.

No, they cannot. THC can stay in your system for 30 days or longer for very heavy users. If I smoked up last week I’m going to test positive for THC, but unless I’ve done something else in the interim I will not be impaired in the slightest today.

This comes up frequently in DUI/drug cases. There is no per se THC level, like .08 for alcohol so the prosecution has to prove intoxication via other evidence.

Heard this on the radio today...they have a new "on the spot" test with instant results for pot now...the cops wave a bag of Funyuns in front of the suspect & if they grab them, they are positive.
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.usada.org/...thlete-test-history/

you can search the history of all triathletes given doping tests by usada this year there, and there are only 3 male (I'm assuming it's a dude?) boulder residents on the list, and colin is only friends w/ one of them. But two of them just raced the ITU grand finale, and the one remaining is not a big name at all.

If nothing else that thing is fun to use because you see who usada targets
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:

you can search the history of all triathletes given doping tests by usada this year there, and there are only 3 male (I'm assuming it's a dude?) boulder residents on the list, and colin is only friends w/ one of them. But two of them just raced the ITU grand finale, and the one remaining is not a big name at all.

It's my understanding, though, that USADA doesn't do Ironman's testing. So would presumably only cover athletes who do more ITU type stuff.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 1, 19 19:52
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
peace242000 wrote:

It's my understanding, though, that USADA doesn't do Ironman's testing. So would presumably only cover athletes who do more ITU type stuff.

My understanding is that USADA does do WTC testing, look at Dan Stubinski an amateur on here who has been tested twice.

Is there any other accredited body that does testing in the US?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:

My understanding is that USADA does do WTC testing, look at Dan Stubinski an amateur on here who has been tested twice.

Is there any other accredited body that does testing in the US?

Maurice

You could be right, I'm not sure. According to this ST article it's kind of both. WTC contracts w/ USADA at times, but at other times acts as its own testing authority, particularly with pros. But that was 2011 so not sure of the current state of affairs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:

it’s even more fun if you set the sport to basketball or baseball.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
peace242000 wrote:

As a signatory to the WADA code, it's likely that they still have to use a WADA certified lab. On the Ironman website they're doing their own results management. So USADA could be contracted out by Ironman to execute meat gazer time, but not like the UFC Program.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Sep 1, 19 21:39
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:

To be fair if they tested me after a race i'd glow like a nuclear reactor (do they glow? just assume they do...a LOT). I

You tested at 120 ng/mL? "Not great, but not terrible."

Yes, they can glow blue when they go supercritical (which can be safe, e.g. startup).
Last edited by: trail: Sep 2, 19 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's ridiculous to state you were bragging. I am surprised that so many people know who the athlete is before it's announced, and assume that is simply because the athlete in question chose to tell certain people?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Culley22 wrote:

To be fair if they tested me after a race i'd glow like a nuclear reactor (do they glow? just assume they do...a LOT). I

Yes, they can glow blue when they go supercritical (which can be safe, e.g. startup).

That's not supercritical. That's Cherenkov radiation from beta decay.
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [vkanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vkanders wrote:
trail wrote:
Culley22 wrote:

Sorry, you are incorrect. That is the “did this person get hiiiiiigh?” Indicator on my THC test. Lol [pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. I knew a list like this existed, but never thought to look.
So the moral of the story is they rarely test outside of AZ, Colorado Springs, and southern California and podium of US based Cam-Tri's.

Looks like long course athletes no longer get tested unless they had an extensive ITU career.
Is there a list that has all tests from WADA?
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
So the moral of the story is they rarely test outside of AZ, Colorado Springs, and southern California and podium of US based Cam-Tri's.

Looks like long course athletes no longer get tested unless they had an extensive ITU career.

It’s actually quite interesting, if you go back a few years there were about 400 tests per year. Guys like Tim O’Donnell and Andy Potts were tested 40 times between them! Now we have 83 tests year to date in the sport.

Now, nada, zilch. It tells me that WTC which requests OOC testing simply isn’t doing it anymore in the US. Basically their AD program consists of a few tests IC at a couple of NA events.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [vkanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vkanders wrote:

The picture is indeed of a reactor startup (where this type of reactor briefly goes supercritical). It's a reactor startup flash, when the Cherenkov effect is it's most dramatic.

Here's some cool video of some more reactor startups. (give culley a bag of Doritos, we could lose him for 3 hours)

Last edited by: trail: Sep 2, 19 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
oprfcc wrote:

It’s actually quite interesting, if you go back a few years there were about 400 tests per year. Guys like Tim O’Donnell and Andy Potts were tested 40 times between them! Now we have 83 tests year to date in the sport.

Now, nada, zilch. It tells me that WTC which requests OOC testing simply isn’t doing it anymore in the US. Basically their AD program consists of a few tests IC at a couple of NA events.

Maurice

Here's the list of their registered pool: Guessing these folks get to pee extra. https://www.ironman.com/...ed-testing-pool.aspx

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, should have been more precise. It's not blue BECAUSE it's supercritical, it's blue because of the Cherenkov effect, which exists in many situations outside of a supercritical configuration.
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
oprfcc wrote:

Maurice

Here's the list of their registered pool: Guessing these folks get to pee extra. https://www.ironman.com/...ed-testing-pool.aspx

That could be it, I’m just wondering why for quite a few years USADA would report 300-400 tests per year and now are reporting less than 200.

Perhaps just a way in which tests are currently reported? Perhaps a reduction in testing (WTC or USAT)

Don’t know.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
oprfcc wrote:

Maurice

Are you basing that number off of USADA’s posted list online? If so, that list doesn’t show tests initiated/requested by WTC/Ironman but performed by USADA.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I understand USADA from dealing with them in regards to Rugby. When they are contracted to execute the test it goes in the testing database. If they are not responsible for results management, they don't post the results for that athlete. So in the case of the UFC USADA has been contracted to run the entire program. So they handle the testings and results management.

In Rugby, you have two separate testing pathways. If the testing is done during the Olympic cycle with 7s they handle the results management. If it is done for XVs, World Rugby handles results management.

So basically, my guess here is that Ironman has contracted someone else to take the piss cups to the WADA certified lab. Which is why they're not in the USADA database.

Quote Reply

Prev Next