Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
some love for the ITU- European champs?
Quote | Reply
g´morning all. Today we have the female race, tomorrow the guys... among all this mess of events in MD and LD, world series, superleague, arena games, etc, ETU has decided to set a standard distance race (thanks god). Good names on the start list
Women: Beaugraund, Periault, Tersch, Stanford, Klamer, Kjaer Pedersen, Kurikova (recently won in Pontevedra)... Attention to the youth: Lombardi and the superyoung sweddish Emma Carlsson. My pick is Non Stanford. I guess the bike will be hard to leave Cassandra behind.

Men: Connix, Bergere, Serrat, Geens, Vilaça, Le Corre, Studer, Murray (under the dutch flag), Mola... Bergere is my pick. Mola might be up there if there is a big bunch in T2.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: some love for the ITU- European champs? [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just came on here to post about this race, usual players aren't there on the women's to keep a break so they'll all come in together into T2 I'm guessing.

1. Stanford
2. Beaugrand
3. Periault

Men's
1. Geens
2. Connix
3. Mola
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i guess beaugrand and bergere will be hard to beat
but i guess your female lists misses lindeman , knoll who will certainly be in the mix

males missing bene bizcak and lasse luhrs, bizcak has not been so great this year but he has the pedigree . and luhrs is rather in form this year and a 3rd place in leeds is pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: some love for the ITU- European champs? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ups, I forgot about Lindemann. She is my pick then. I cannot see Knoll in top 5, seems she struggles the longer the race gets. But with a the big bunch together in T2 it is hard to bet against Cassandre.
Luhrs is in good shape but I think he also struggles with the standard distance...Bergere, Geens and Connix seems to be on paper in the top 5. See how Mola runs in a crowded T2, otherwise he´s got 0 chance. Serrat can be in the top 5, either Baxter who won in Pontevedra 2 weeks ago. Without the sorts of GTB, Duffy,Yee,Wilde, we will see some surprises

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see CB in a front pack break off the swim that gets pulled back and burning a few matches, she's not had a stella run at 10km from memory?

Juanillo what's happened to Gomez, he's seems AWOL from triathlon these days also Alarzas been missing?
Quote Reply
Re: some love for the ITU- European champs? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stanford GOLD - what an absolute legend
Quote Reply
Re: some love for the ITU- European champs? [inkbbl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
inkbbl wrote:
Stanford GOLD - what an absolute legend

Last race representing GB. Phenomenal, she has everything except the Olympic medal where she finished 4th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gomez has moved into LD but he is not qualified for Kona 22 cause he has been recovering from a "hard" covid and wont try to get a spot this month. his focus this year is the 70.3 worlds.
Alarza has taken a year off. He had a child one year ago and he wants to work as a policeman, so he is preparing for that. In Spain, unless you are Gomez, it is really difficult to get a living with triathlon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy for Stanford, the dynamics in the women's race haven't played to her strengths and had terrible injuries since Rio but what a way to sign off from Triathlon.

What insane depth we have in women's British triathlon right now!

I need to start putting money on Triathlon again!

That Lombardi is looking like the future!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Happy for Stanford, the dynamics in the women's race haven't played to her strengths and had terrible injuries since Rio but what a way to sign off from Triathlon.

What insane depth we have in women's British triathlon right now!

I need to start putting money on Triathlon again!

That Lombardi is looking like the future!

I have watched Lombardi quite a bit in the french divisional racing. I think she is a better medal prospect than Beaugrand but they are both very good athletes. They will have a phenomenal relay team for Paris.
Quote Reply
Re: some love for the ITU- European champs? [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Non Stanford is a world class athlete...but Team GB is so strong that she is "just" average among the sorts of GTB, Learmont, Potter, Coldwell, Rainsley, Waugh (And Holland when was active). France is not that far...Lombardi, Periault and Beaugraund are a strong team for Paris, but Dodet (does anyone know if she is daughter of Sylvain Dodet?), Merle, Morier (anyone knows is she is injured?), Conninx...are really young and pushing...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised Alarza hasn't dipped his toe in at 70.3 he was a better ITU athlete than a lot of ex ITU at 70.3/IM doing well, sure he could scrape a living.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
French trio clean sweep the podium

Gold - LĂ©o Bergere
Silver - Pierre Le Corre
Bronze - Dorian Coninx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome venue. All the euro champs from different sports altogether is a success. The race today was full of spectators...the french sweep was expected in case of break in T1. Bergere is the best triathlete in ITU right now after Yee and Wilde.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
awesome venue. All the euro champs from different sports altogether is a success. The race today was full of spectators...the french sweep was expected in case of break in T1. Bergere is the best triathlete in ITU right now after Yee and Wilde.

It is awesome what they have done with the park. It is also the venue for the BMX and climbing so if you go to the park you have a party/family atmosphere. It really is brilliant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i agree the course was awesome just good to watch from start to finish .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting seeing Varga just not being able to cut the pace on the swim these days after moving up to 70.3.

If it wasn't for Yee and Wilde we could have French dominating men's triathlon right now (anyone know why Luis sat this one out?)

I'm not sure we'll see Mola ever back to podium level 4.03 mins off or Murray +4.40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgot to mention, I'm not one to blame the athletes for this, but the moto drafting was terrible yesterday, probably to due with the course (was the same when Superleague used same venue)
Last edited by: Jackets: Aug 14, 22 17:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
Non Stanford is a world class athlete...but Team GB is so strong that she is "just" average among the sorts of GTB, Learmont, Potter, Coldwell, Rainsley, Waugh (And Holland when was active). France is not that far...Lombardi, Periault and Beaugraund are a strong team for Paris, but Dodet (does anyone know if she is daughter of Sylvain Dodet?), Merle, Morier (anyone knows is she is injured?), Conninx...are really young and pushing...

Regarding Morier she has switched to being a fulltime cyclist instead of triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, awesome venue for draft legal triathlon, just give me a tough hill to climb once or twice each lap on the bike, and it'd be the perfect venue. Crowds and atmosphere looked/sounded amazing (from what I could tell from the triathlonlive feed).

Is Pierre LeCorre the best triathlete ever (after Macca) to never go to an Olympics (without injury or retirement, otherwise I'd also put ahead of him Brad Beven and Greg Welch)?
Quote Reply
Re: some love for the ITU- European champs? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jodie Stimpson the first to pop into my head when it comes to great triathletes never making an Olympic team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Jodie Stimpson the first to pop into my head when it comes to great triathletes never making an Olympic team.

Yes, agree on Jodie as well. Good call!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect Luis sat this out, since he's in the middle of a training block, to get ready for the tail half of the season. Given how long this WTCS season is, and not being with a Commonwealth nation, this is a logical period to chill on the racing, and to put in the work to make a push at the last few WTCS events of the year. A race like European champs make sense for those chasing points for olympic qualification who are less confident about getting the points at WTCS/World Cup level (where more points are on offer), those riding form from the Commies, or those just looking for race action or confidence building results. But again, it's a long season so it's hard for people to be always on...

Mola is still shaking the rust, and unfortunately the game has changed a bit, and while there are fewer breakaways off the front in men's racing, the swim is more and more important (even though Yee and Wilde are often behind and chasing, they are not that far behind, but those who miss those groups tend to have a much harder time getting in), and the level of running is rising as well, so his run is not the game changer that it was before. Richard Murray is in a slow build back from missing a good chunk of last year with the heart issue. He's gotten the odd result, but I suspect he's on the slow build path back with a focus on making the Dutch team for Paris to race the MTR with his wife before retiring...
Quote Reply
Re: some love for the ITU- European champs? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sophie Coldwell has not been at the olympics. Will she miss Paris? GTB is a secure spot, Potter is a potential one . Any idea anyone about Learmonth? Rainsley and Waugh are growing...so she is an another awesome triathlete who might miss the olympics...
I think the continental champs should be more important but the calendar is packed. The World Series are now a mess. I'd put 6 races, more money and good venues like Hamburg, KitzbĂĽhel, and challenging courses. Many guys are moving into MD and even cycling (in Spain Okamika and Romo have switched, Morier in France..) cause it offers more money. Or World Triathlon wakes up or the World Series will return to just one event the same as before 2009.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
Sophie Coldwell has not been at the olympics. Will she miss Paris? GTB is a secure spot, Potter is a potential one . Any idea anyone about Learmonth? Rainsley and Waugh are growing...so she is an another awesome triathlete who might miss the olympics...
I think the continental champs should be more important but the calendar is packed. The World Series are now a mess. I'd put 6 races, more money and good venues like Hamburg, KitzbĂĽhel, and challenging courses. Many guys are moving into MD and even cycling (in Spain Okamika and Romo have switched, Morier in France..) cause it offers more money. Or World Triathlon wakes up or the World Series will return to just one event the same as before 2009.

Potter is already an Olympian.

The WTCS has the potential to be worse. I think they have awarded a race to NZ haven’t they?

It is 2 years out nothing is guaranteed. GTB lost 2 years to a foot injury so anything could happen.
Last edited by: SheridanTris: Aug 15, 22 12:21
Quote Reply

Prev Next