Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [drgreen68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In what areas is there a redesign of the P4 ? Would this also apply to the P3?
If I would have bought a P4 last year as I was first thinking (decided to wait because of rumors about UCI compliance issues) I would be pretty pissed now...
One of the claims that I've heard for both the P3 and P4 is simply that they need a new seatpost, which will basically mean that the test team just uses an insert that goes where the regular post goes now, and then a 3:1 post will go in there.

There may be something else, but one area where the Cervelos (p2, p3, and p4) do definitively "fail" is the seatpost. AFAIK, it's simply a matter of making a different seatpost/insert for the team bikes (and anyone else who needs one). I also do not think this is new, as I remember discussing it with Dan at ToC.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re. seatpins

The problem is that for an aerodynamic purpose, you want the seatpin and seat tube to have the same cross section.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah , but the thing about the seatpost is "old news" -redesign - sounded like there was more to it than just that...
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [zebragonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
re. seatpins

The problem is that for an aerodynamic purpose, you want the seatpin and seat tube to have the same cross section.
Really? What makes you say that?

Here's an alternative example, though I know it was designed around the UCI regs...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Really? What makes you say that?

I'm sure someone reputable said it. Additionally, it was thought that an aero seat pin for a regular bike was less aero than round because of the difference in shape.

Hopefully someone will be able to provide some slightly more stable evidence for my thoughts!
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [zebragonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In Reply To
I have no more information but I would like some as well. Maybe cause the UCI just feels feisty today.[/reply]
Although usually we refer to the UCI in a they way, the UCI is we to any of us that is a UCI license-holder. The members of the UCI are the National Federations of each country. Want things to change? Find out who is representing you in your national federation and start lobbying. If you do not have direct access to the National President, then the President of your local club can take that agenda to the President of your State association who (in most countries) should be on the board of your National Federation (USA Cycling in the USA).

We recently changed the President of our national federation because most thought that a change was needed. I won't go into the details but his lack of attention and disrespectful attitude towards something most of us thought was important and a handful of us dared to point out was a spark that turned into a fire for him. He underestimated the response to his lack of interest in that particular matter because before no one dared (or cared). Not anymore.

There are 42 voting delegates in the UCI distributed among continental federations as follows:

Africa: 7 delegates
America: 9 delegates
Asia: 9 delegates
Europe: 14 delegates
Oceania: 3 delegates

See anything interesting there?

I would not be surprised to find out that most road cyclists that are licence-holders don't even know what the name of his National Cycling Federation President is. I think that federated cyclists should start flexing their political muscle, the problem is that most do not realize that they have one.

The formation of the GOCEM is no doubt an important and necessary response to the inconsistent way the UCI officers in charge have been interpreting the rules. As I said before, I would not even mind if we have to race under a stringent (retro to most) standard similar to the NJS in Japan. But I do mind when the persons in charge at the governing body let everyone race with a particular equipment for years and without a rule change suddenly the equipment becomes illegal. Something is definitely wrong there and the result can be very costly.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You company is doing that too. How much would it cost trek if your new TT bike were deemed illegal shortly after you go into mass production?

Why doesn't the bike industry man up a little with regards to the UCI? Do you just not have any influence over them at all, even as a group?

In Reply To:
And therefore you flirt with the boundaries of the rules or choose unconservative interpretations of the rules at your peril.

Carl

[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Why doesn't the bike industry man up a little with regards to the UCI? Do you just not have any influence over them at all, even as a group?"

I would say the bike manufacturers have, in fact, demonstrated influence with the UCI.

In my eyes the end result of the implied influence many here seem to want, would be dictatorial on the part of the manufacturers, rather than the governing body.

How do people react when they perceive Exxon or GM having dictatorial influence over government actions concerning their products?

Be VERY careful what you wish for.

In fact, some of the apparent capriciousness with which the UCI seems to be reacting appears to be in response to the age-old race to push the boundaries.

The rules (boundaries) determine an arbitrary line between the best equipment and unfair advantages. Racing entities (athletes, manufacturers, etc.) will always want to try to be as close to the boundary as possible in order to be on the level with everyone else out there.

Now there have been some unanticipated creative ways of reading the rules (boundaries). There really is no good answer here after the fact. If the UCI does nothing, then creative readings of the rules become the norm and sooner or later smart people will have achieve everything counter to the spirit of the UCI's original rule. If the UCI now steps in (as it has) and attempts to clarify some of these creative readings, then it appears capricious, ill-considered, and anti-technology.

Consider the UCI's position. They clearly benefit from the technological advances and successes of the bicycle industry. And yet they are charged with maintaining a sport that is ostensibly about the athletes involved.

None of this is to say whether I agree or disagree with any particular issue here. But I think it is instructive to consider the situation from the UCI's perspective to the extent possible. (Certainly we aren't privy to specific financial, legal, or other influencing factors).

The UCI has a pretty tough job here. And I'm not sure I'd want some of you on that equipment panel either, based on some of the opinions expressed in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the uci can have whatever rules it wants

the arrogance is in retroactively changing enforcement with crushing effects on the industry that they are part of.

yes they reserved the RIGHT to do it, but its insane. The seatpost and aerobar aspect ratio thing, really, who benefits from that? nobody.

In Reply To:
"Why doesn't the bike industry man up a little with regards to the UCI? Do you just not have any influence over them at all, even as a group?"

I would say the bike manufacturers have, in fact, demonstrated influence with the UCI.

In my eyes the end result of the implied influence many here seem to want, would be dictatorial on the part of the manufacturers, rather than the governing body.

How do people react when they perceive Exxon or GM having dictatorial influence over government actions concerning their products?

Be VERY careful what you wish for.

In fact, some of the apparent capriciousness with which the UCI seems to be reacting appears to be in response to the age-old race to push the boundaries.

The rules (boundaries) determine an arbitrary line between the best equipment and unfair advantages. Racing entities (athletes, manufacturers, etc.) will always want to try to be as close to the boundary as possible in order to be on the level with everyone else out there.

Now there have been some unanticipated creative ways of reading the rules (boundaries). There really is no good answer here after the fact. If the UCI does nothing, then creative readings of the rules become the norm and sooner or later smart people will have achieve everything counter to the spirit of the UCI's original rule. If the UCI now steps in (as it has) and attempts to clarify some of these creative readings, then it appears capricious, ill-considered, and anti-technology.

Consider the UCI's position. They clearly benefit from the technological advances and successes of the bicycle industry. And yet they are charged with maintaining a sport that is ostensibly about the athletes involved.

None of this is to say whether I agree or disagree with any particular issue here. But I think it is instructive to consider the situation from the UCI's perspective to the extent possible. (Certainly we aren't privy to specific financial, legal, or other influencing factors).

The UCI has a pretty tough job here. And I'm not sure I'd want some of you on that equipment panel either, based on some of the opinions expressed in this thread.

Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So then tell us, Jack...how do YOU propose dealing with the situation where manufacturers continually push the envelope (something I absolutely believe they should do...don't get me wrong on that point). How, if YOU were the UCI, do you act when someone's creative reading of the rules lets them start designing nosecones, integrated water bottles, etc.? How do YOU go about restraining things to keep the spirit of the rule intact....when they are clearly headed out of hand?

Where do YOU draw the line?

I'd argue that no matter where YOU draw YOUR line, people would consider it just as arbitrary and capricious as you are considering the UCI's recent actions. But hey...you're just trying to maintain some semblance of sport, aren't you?

I'd also argue that if the UCI didn't react now on things like the aerobar issue, that the end result would have eventually been something completely one-piece, somewhat delta-shaped...and for all intents and purposes...a fairing. This year it was 3T's stuff...next year Zipp, Hed or someone would have gone even deeper...the following year, 3T's answer even deeper and nearly solid delta wing....

Think it wouldn't have happened? Look at how quickly we went from cow-horned funny bikes to the Lotus and Project 96 bikes.

Again, I'm not trying to sound anti-diluvian or retro-grouch here. I'm all for innovation. But I happen to think the driving philosophy of any sport governing body should be about keeping the competition about the athletes...

Any line the UCI tries to draw on equipment between an 1890's highwheeler and a modern fully faired HPV is going to be arbitrary. They have the entirely unenviable task of trying to define that line.

Someone else on the thread argued that their rules language is ambiguous and should be more clearly written. Obviously they have never worked with engineers in trying to define a specific design concept.

I am an engineer working with industry, military, and other standards every day. I have yet to work a project where at least some of the governing standards proved difficult in applying to the particular project and staying within all of the apparent lines drawn.

In the case at hand, the people drawing up the original rules would not likely have imagined the 3T Ventus or Cervelo's current seatpost idiom when they drew up the rule. Clearly 3T and Cervelo's engineers imagined them in the context of their reading of the rule. And yet now the UCI guys have had to look at the overall situation and ask themselves "Do we like the direction this is heading?" Apparently they do not. And probably because they see where it was headed.

Just try, for one moment, Jack, to imagine being on the other side of the fence. Yeah...I know...its a lot like when I ask my 7 year old what HE would do if his 7 year old threw dirt clods at the neighbor's dog. OF COURSE the 7 year old answers "well...I wouldn't do anything."

That doesn't make the answer right, or well-considered, or considerate of the OTHER side of the coin.
Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a system where bike designs are submitted for review like the UCI currently has

I review them CAREFULLY

and I give a definitive YEA or NAY that is good for, say, 5 years.

thats what I would do if I was interested in trying to keep costs down or keep the looks of bikes 'classical'

now, what I would do if I was in charge is make the bikes totally unlimited and watch the madness of a tour de france with faired recumbants in the mix.

=)

In Reply To:
So then tell us, Jack...how do YOU propose dealing with the situation where manufacturers continually push the envelope (something I absolutely believe they should do...don't get me wrong on that point). How, if YOU were the UCI, do you act when someone's creative reading of the rules lets them start designing nosecones, integrated water bottles, etc.?

Quote Reply
Re: new Giant, Shiv and P4 UCI illegal? [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the UCI should just institute the "Little Indy" rules....thats the way they are heading.

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com