Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made ones myself from an inner tube as a resistance band and 2 paddles with a strap around the middle finger. I feel with the ones with a handle I would have to grip the handle more while pulling, but with the paddles on there I can do the movement more the way I would while swimming. If that helps you in any way.
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I just ordered one with ANt+. It was $2500 including overnight shipping. How much did they used to cost?

I’ve kind of wanted one for a while for days when I’m alone with my sleeping son and can’t get to the pool. So this was all the nudge needed. I expect pools will be closed for as much as 8-10 weeks.

Any good threads on how to make the most of a Vasa you can share?

I recall paying $2250ish, but just regular ground shipping. Sounds like they may have gone up a bit.

I think your best bet is to hit the search bar on the upper right looking for 'vasa'. Lightheir, AussieMikeinSD and sgy(among others) have posted a lot of good information on there. I use TrainerRoad and have made a bunch of workouts. I am told there are teams on TR that share content, but I'm not a part of those.

My guess is once you get used to using it, you will adapt it to your needs. I find myself gravitating to using it much like I would swim in the pool with regards to intervals/timing + intensity.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [m_dc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USA Swimming
US Masters Swimming

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't see this thread when just posting a new one, but we have over 50 dryland videos (using some inexpensive equipment) for swimmers in Lane 3 on our Race Club site (http://www.theraceclub.com). Yes, it is a paid subscription, but you can sign on for a month or two without setting you back much and enjoy the entire Race Club library of videos (over 230) and articles (over 200). Then, when the pools are back open, you decide if you wan to stay on. Besides helping you stay in shape, the content may help you swim smarter and faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Ry's new dry land swim workout

https://www.instagram.com/p/B911GKLIc4C/
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
Try Ry's new dry land swim workout

https://www.instagram.com/p/B911GKLIc4C/

Thanks for this post!! Totally useful. I'll try this out today. Especially like the use of the tether.

"We don't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." --Chief Seattle
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Quote:

I don't think stretch chords get your heart rate high enough to keep the blood vessels "in shape" to deliver oxygen to your upper body.

Then you aren't trying hard enough! There's no magic to being in the water to make you work.

But, here's the thing. You might be surprised at the pull force generated while swimming 1:30 pace. For me it's 50-70 lbs when I swim tethered to the pool edge. Think about that for a second...if you are swimming 36-40s 50s, you are probably pulling 80-100 lbs or so, 22 reps per arm, rest 20 seconds and repeat 20 times. That's not far off from a strength workout.

I err on the lower end of that for stretch chords... And then adjust the tension by backing up until I'm appropriately tired at the end of 1:40. My heart rate gets up there and I sweat like a pig. Again, I use a metronome to ensure I'm at the right rate for whatever pace I'm simulating.

I used this method 2x per week last year in my 100/100/100. I promise if you pull hard, quickly... You'll get tired and your heart rate will get up there.

Reviving this old thread as I've been thinking about how to rebuild swim fitness lately, ideally without getting in a pool due to schedule/life constraints.

How did you calculate/measure your pull force in the pool, Tom? If you're actually generating 50-70 lb of thrust, for 100m repeats in 90", then that's a massive amount of power... with P = force*velocity you'd be generating (222 - 311 newtons)*(1.11 m/s) ~ 245-345 W. I asked about this a while ago in a thread about power thinking for stretch cord workouts (which you were one of the few respondents to! https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...h_cords%3F_P7028269/) -- and someone else commented about 70-90 W being a lot of power output on the Vasa.
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't anything all that fancy.

I spent about a month trying to swim on a tether in my pool. I was using one of those stretch chord type that I use for strength training. I wanted to know hard hard I was pulling. So, I measured how far I was stretching the chord and then used a pull scale to measure the force required to pull that far.

I'm sure there could be lots of error in that method, and who knows... Maybe swim tether force doesn't directly correlate with applied force while moving through water. Maybe the pull force to hold steady in water with water drag isn't the same as on land. Dunno.

The 20 lbs that I quoted in the dryland thread seems more inline with the 90 W Vasa estimates.
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [dasOlind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dasOlind wrote:
Is Vasa jacking up pricing because all the pools are closed or is there some other explication?

https://vasatrainer.com/...er-swimming-machine-here

They make money on everything they can make money on, and preferably out of thin air. Who can stop them?
Last edited by: Pokitren: Oct 15, 21 1:08
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [Pokitren] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pokitren wrote:
dasOlind wrote:
Is Vasa jacking up pricing because all the pools are closed or is there some other explication?

https://vasatrainer.com/...er-swimming-machine-here/

They make money on everything they can make money on, and preferably out of thin air. Who can stop them?
'

We may be over the hump on equipment shortages, I just ordered a Concept 2 SkiErg and it was in stock and shipping this week. Before you had to submit and wait for an email that gave you a window of when it's available for ordering and then wait for delivery, back in 2020 it was a 3 month wait just for the email.
Quote Reply
Re: dry land swimming workouts? [slower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slower wrote:
We may be over the hump on equipment shortages, I just ordered a Concept 2 SkiErg and it was in stock and shipping this week. Before you had to submit and wait for an email that gave you a window of when it's available for ordering and then wait for delivery, back in 2020 it was a 3 month wait just for the email.

It's actually very good that the processes have become more transparent and faster. I liked one quote from a recruiter on Linkedin, I won't give you the link, I just remembered: "When I joined the company, I wanted to make the processes as transparent as possible. And when I did, I said that I would never make the processes as transparent as possible because the world should not know how horrible they looked from the inside."
Quote Reply

Prev Next