Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
jhammond wrote:
I still use an old Garmin Edge 500. It does everything I want except for wifi upload and it's just not worth it to me to spend several hundred dollars for a single feature.

Yet another vote for the Garmin Edge 500. Mine is ancient and still works like a champ. Does everything I want it to.

Yet one more for the Edge 500. I keep looking at new bike computers but can't seem to justify it, the 500 just keeps ticking.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something actually vintage I still use, and I mean vintage in that I was the first to use these in 1979. The plastic string locks that I took off my sleeping bag covers, and then put on my shoe laces. Other than stretchy laces, those have not been improved on in the past 40 years...Thats vintage...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not vintage, but I save some cash by running a generation behind. I stay on trend with tires, but the rest is throw away original etap, rim brakes, 11 speed, and other mechanical stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coach Troy and his Spinervals DVDs. A couple of them are starting to skip or freeze - I had a six minute interval the other day that took eight minutes - but they still make an hour and a half fly by in the pain cave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I ride a 1997 Computrainer. (original owner) I race on my 1998 Softride Power V (original owner). I have Scott Extreme bars on a second tri bike. It is also a Softride.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [samtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have virtually every one of the Competition series and use them regularly in addition to my Rouvy subscription.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love this thread

I use all of the below on a near weekly basis (aside from summer)

in summer of 2003 after visiting montreal stopped off at the LGN factory outlet and picked up a wind vest, arm warmers and other winter cycling accessories. The arm warmers and vest are still going strong and daily go tos in fall/spring

Garmin 500 from 2009. Was still using this up until last month when i got a 520+ for garmin app development purposes (tinkering). Still have the 500 for backup.

Descente knee warmers from 2002. also a spring/fall go to.

defeet baselayer 2005

mizuno fuzzy gloves 2007

Team Brain & Spine jersey from 2004... squadra made, still looks brand new.

And the thing that really makes this stuff feel like gold is that I've had other, similar articles of clothing fall to shit in only a year or two of sporadic use.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Last edited by: MarkyV: Apr 12, 19 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
x 3 = on the Cervelo P3-SL.

I wonder just "how slow" that P3-SL is, as compared to some of today's more moderately priced tri bikes.

Anyone know?

See if you can find Jens tunnel data from when he took a P2k and P3c into the tunnel. IIRC it was rather substantial. Which is a bit disappointing cuz i've got a lust for the P3-SL

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Garmin 310XT watch and a wheelset with a 2nd generation Powertap hub for $200. Both were at least 3rd hand, and both are still reliably getting the job done. I have a Joule GPS computer (got for another $50, I think) because you need a Joule to check and zero the offset on the old PT hubs, but, for reasons I can't quite explain, I prefer riding with the QR-equipped 310XT.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
15 year old Performance Bike Shop bike shorts & 20 year old Pearl Izumi bike shorts. (Soon to be retired...)

Do you not have a problem with people drafting off of you? 😂

Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
DA7800 kit

I'm sure it's been said in many circles already, but the DA 7800 and corresponding Ultegra 6600 were fantastic. Once they moved the shift cable routing, it seems like it took quite some time to get back to a similar silky shift feel.

Edit: I meant 6600 and not 6700
Last edited by: dangle: Apr 12, 19 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

but yeah, agreed, took till the 9100/8000 to be comparable again

Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops. Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The same thing happened with brake routing, sort of. Most non-aero brakes didn't have return springs, they just used the return spring in the brake to return both the brake and lever. With aero brake routing, the brake's return spring has a less lively response on the brake lever, so modern systems use springs in both places.

That's less consequential to the user, though.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Apr 12, 19 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:)

Only say that cuz i had both 7900 and 6700 and they suuuuuuuucked.

Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you me? I love my catalyst paddles and have been wearing vanquishers for as long as I can remember.

The catalyst paddles are the only ones I've ever used that I haven't cracked, they are truly built to last.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You were spot on. I know the difference and just wasn't thinking. I held onto 6600 for a long time because it worked great. It was actually 6603 and I never understand the complaints of shifting on a triple. The 6700 series cranks looked way nicer and I grabbed one of those though. Once my tri bike was 11 speed, then my CX, it was time to move to 11 speed.

The 7800/6600 cable routing was ugly, but I didn't realize how much I rode on top of the hoods with my thumb looped under that cable until it was gone. The cable, not my thumb. My thumbs are still here and typing 7's instead of 6's.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
The hard part was finding win10 drivers for the irDA downloader.

I hated that stupid IR downloader.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [mdfedderly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! Right? Aren't those two the best?
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [microspawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1967 Swiss made Mondia Special ($100 donation to Toy-for-Tots) Reynold 531
Traded my low end Mt bike for Roval wheels
Aero bars $29, Nashbar sell out
$25 Tektro brake levers
Water bottle rack, $18 Amazon find
Brakes, derailleurs, shifters, and crankset all original Neuvo Record. Works great with 8 speed cassette
This is my go-to machine for all my outdoor training

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Rim brakes.

I'll be more specific than that...I've got a pair of Dura Ace BR-7700 brakes (1st gen of dual pivots) on my old '86 Bianchi. Paired with Shimano "aero" levers (hidden cable routing), and with KoolStop dual-compound (salmon/black) braking on H Plus Son TB14 aluminum rims, I swear they are the best all-around braking setup I own, including the disc-braked bikes. Super-light lever feel, tons of power (I had to "de-tune" the pads from straight salmons to the dual compound to reduce the power), and easy modulation, dry or wet.

I would love to set that bike up for "blind testing" (rider can't see the brakes or wheels, and has ear plugs in) and then ask people if they are rim or disc brakes. I bet there would be a lot of surprised people after that...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [mdfedderly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with both of you on those toys.

Tho, I've had a number of catalysts snap in half in the middle. Not sure if that's from UV exposure or i just pull way too much water for them to handle. /s

On the vanquishers i switched over to TYR's velocity when i was racing for them. They've got a clear/metallic lens choice that i absolutely love(d) for open water swimming.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I miss "road aero position". I occasionally try to do it on several of my bikes but with no cables i'm screwed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
The 7800/6600 cable routing was ugly, but I didn't realize how much I rode on top of the hoods with my thumb looped under that cable until it was gone. The cable, not my thumb. My thumbs are still here and typing 7's instead of 6's.

😂😂😂😂😂

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1984 Italian steel bike with some original parts including dura-ace seat post and crank, modelo brakes. I have had it in a hotel in Singapore for the past 12 years. It now looks like my business trips to Singapore are over so if anyone in Singapore is interested in an old bike let me know. Otherwise the hotel will probably throw it out.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply

Prev Next