2001 Computrainer

Ditto.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
jhammond wrote:
I still use an old Garmin Edge 500. It does everything I want except for wifi upload and it's just not worth it to me to spend several hundred dollars for a single feature.

Yet another vote for the Garmin Edge 500. Mine is ancient and still works like a champ. Does everything I want it to.

Yet one more for the Edge 500. I keep looking at new bike computers but can't seem to justify it, the 500 just keeps ticking.

Mine is still chugging along as well. Lately its been having occasional problems being detected by my computer, so I sometimes have to put it in mass storage mode to upload my rides...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
I miss "road aero position". I occasionally try to do it on several of my bikes but with no cables i'm screwed.

That's one reason why I will be talking about the Shimano 685/785 levers when this thread is resurrected in 15 years. There's so much hood that I feel like I can do that position with enough to safely hold on to. They are the perfect size for my hands as well. Love them. All mechanical levers feel too small anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
1967 Swiss made Mondia Special ($100 donation to Toy-for-Tots) Reynold 531
Traded my low end Mt bike for Roval wheels
Aero bars $29, Nashbar sell out
$25 Tektro brake levers
Water bottle rack, $18 Amazon find
Brakes, derailleurs, shifters, and crankset all original Neuvo Record. Works great with 8 speed cassette
This is my go-to machine for all my outdoor training

I like it! Why no bar end shifters, though?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

I like it! Why no bar end shifters, though?

I've thought about it, but living in Kansas (flatlands) I rarely get off the large front ring, and only use 2 maybe three gears in the rear. I just don't shift that often. I'm also a very old school rider (raced in the 80's) and my muscle memory fully embraces the downtube shifters, as well as out of saddle and riding the drops often.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Apr 12, 19 20:30
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race with tubular zipps 404 from 2006 (they were super cheap when i bought them but cost me an arm and a leg in tires every time I have a flat by now).

I do my long rides outdoors on a trek alpha 1 from 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does kit count? My first 4 team jerseys (consecutive years) from the early 80s.

Mark E
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use both a front & rear still? Those are the ones that require the narrow tyres, right?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timex Ironman watch (mentioned earlier).

An old Cateye bike computer (not sure about the model number, but it's on its third bike in about twenty years).

Rim brakes on alloy rims (along with lots of other folks).

Cable shifters (also along with lots of other folks).

Doing all of my riding on the road (I don't even own a trainer, and we've got nice weather and not much traffic in NM).

Running intervals on the high school track (mentioned earlier).

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuel belt, 4 small bottles. Just used it this morning. Bought in the late 90's?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah front and back 23mm... That suits me for training and racing....narrower might be more aero at above 30mph but this rolls comfortable and give good contact for cornering
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still use the pace clock at the swimming pool & I am a better swimmer for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for this but I’m mildly disappointed that I haven’t seen any “yo momma” type jokes or replies in here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powertap P1 pedals
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Socks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 47 year old legs and heart. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winter - neck warmer

Summer - Gin
Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mid 50's Gillot Tandem, usually get a few TT's in on it throught the season just for fun ( still a fair few tandem riders in my club so somtimes theres a tandem night with upto 5-6 tandems TT'ing ), this bike has passed through severel club memebers and I belive still holds a few club records from the 80's (with much better riders than me!)

Had it painted a few years ago, and in the paint shop there was another Gillot being painted, I liked the Blue so got it done the same.... never occured it was the same shad as our club kit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pool clock
Speedo brief
Swedish goggles
Hard work and grit instead of “hacks”

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends what you count as vintage... so I’ll just list what I use that’s really old.

I still use an A2 for racing (bought a new one last year) and will for at least this year and next year. My ultegra pedals are about 11 years old, as are my Sidi shoes. Still use my spd pedals on the trainer that are about 14 along with my original specialized mountain shoes also about 15 on a 15 year old Allez. My transition bag is from 2010 and I really have to intention of replacing it unless it breaks. Also 10 speed cassette.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Last edited by: Jloewe: Apr 14, 19 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cinelli Grippo and cinelli spinaccissimi as extension on my road bike. Has to hack something to make them fit a 31.8 bar. Very light low and ergonomic, can be set to draft legal configuration easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2000 Kestrel 200 SCi that i received in 2000 as a lifetime warranty replacement of my 1991 Kestrel 200 SCi when that frame cracked. The replacement 200SCi is retired to my trainer, but its my best bike of all time. This is just a photo off the internet of the same bike

Quote Reply
Re: Your best "old technology" that you still use [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still race on Zipp 440 Tubs,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just built up a frame for my girlfriend with a 2007 Campagnolo Record 10s groupset; it looks and shifts great and it's super light
Quote Reply

Prev Next