Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
butch wrote:
have you ever swam 20 miles in the open ocean? 62 degrees?

additionally the english channel is really no less than 26 miles in most cases, depending on whether you make it halfway before the current changes...the boat captain on the day my ex swam it said she swam a smidge over 28..

No - Swam 22 miles at 6200 feet elevation, south to north the entire length of Lake Tahoe. 13 hours. And the bonus is you can walk fine the next day, unlike an ironman. Definitely not way harder. Actually quite comparable. I highly recommend it. :)

That doesn't sound too bad. Warm water ? Wetsuit ? Freshwater ? No currents ?

It's in no way comparable to swimming the English Channel though.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [jgp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jgp wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJVeHmc3hSw Is this bad ass enough? Because of rules I was denied My lake Ontario crossing this summer( I had 3 boats and needed 4 boats to be sanctioned) But I will try again.http://lakeontarioswim.blogspot.ca/[/quote[/url]]

Cool video. How did you attach the boat to your body? I have a kayak and might jumping out and swimming and I would not want to lose the boat.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like this Belgium swimmer had a fairly eventful Channel crossing last week:

Another successful solo swim was achieved by Carl Plasschaert on the 1st September. His time was an amazing 12hrs and 06mins (subject to ratification) with pilot Eric Hartley and observer Keith Oiller. Carl landed on the rocks approximately 1/2 mile south of Cap Gris-Nez at 19:11 hrs. Carl is reportedly only the 14th Belgian to successfully complete a solo Channel Swim and did so in the worst conditions that the observer had experienced in the past 2 seasons. A south westerly wind of 20 kts was recorded with an estimated 8 ft swell with breaking waves over the last 5 hours of the swim.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just used my nylon feeding line tied one end to the front ring of my boat and the other end tied around my waist.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:

Thanks! Yeah, this "record" stuff is a little silly when you stop and think and realize that somebody once probably floated 1000 miles to another shore while nibbling on coconuts after being swept to sea by a storm. We don't celebrate that because nobody knows and he was probably shot in the head with an arrow 5 minutes after landing.

But whoever shot him in the head with an arrow was the descendant of someone else who floated 1000 miles to another shore while nibbling on coconuts. Somebody was the first to make it to all those South Pacific islands. And look at Hawaii--it's more than 1000 miles from the closest island. Just think how many people died sailing to nowhere before a man and a woman landed.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [jgp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jgp wrote:
I just used my nylon feeding line tied one end to the front ring of my boat and the other end tied around my waist.

I would think that would chafe like mad.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
I thought the biggest English Channel swimming rule is that you have to cross the "English Channel."

+1 Different water can have totally different conditions. Maybe the English channel isn't a high jellyfish area so there would be no reason for them to need protection from them. They can keep their "EC" rules in the English channel and they can come try the Cuba to Florida swim with "CF" rules. Jellyfish protection allowed. Or if someone else wants to be the first to complete the Cuba to Florida swim without jellyfish protection and outdo Nyad, then have at it.

--
"If you can't win, make the guy ahead of you break the record." - Anonymous
Runner's High
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jgp wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJVeHmc3hSw Is this bad ass enough? Because of rules I was denied My lake Ontario crossing this summer( I had 3 boats and needed 4 boats to be sanctioned) But I will try again.

http://lakeontarioswim.blogspot.ca/

Very awesome!! Why not just tow the 4th boat that you need to be sanctioned? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
That's exactly what I've always thought, i.e. that the water temp would be the toughest thing to handle unless I gained around 30 lbs or so. I think a lot of good tri swimmers could do the EC if they were allowed to use a full wetsuit. I swam 4 days in 57-58 degree water a few years ago w/o a wetsuit, and even on the 4th day I still felt damn cold after just 30 min. Don't know how along cold water adaptation takes but must be more than 4 days, and/or I'm just too thin, at 6'2" and 175, to adapt to 58 water.

Which brings up an interesting discussion. Which of the following is more bad ass--swimming the 20 mile Catalina Channel (for example. Insert any of your favorite channels) either:
  1. No wetsuit, but with a navigation/feeding boat that will also block wind/chop and pull the swimmer in case of trouble. (ie: Catalina Channel Swimmer Federation rules); or,
  2. Wetsuit, but no boat at all for navigation/feeding/drafting/rescue. Entirely self-supported and solo.

I'm not concerned about which federations would sanction it: that's bureaucracy and ego. I want to discuss which is harder, and why no one does the latter.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think option 2 would be harder simply from a navigation point of view. I don't see how a stand alone swimmer could set the course to navigate the currents and reach shore.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:
I think option 2 would be harder simply from a navigation point of view. I don't see how a stand alone swimmer could set the course to navigate the currents and reach shore.

I agree. That's why I wonder how the "no wetsuit" rule has become the standard of purity. It's like saying, "I'm going to run across the Sahara, and it will be pure, solo and unassisted because I won't wear shoes." But neglecting to mention you'll have a Land Rover blazing trail, providing food and water, and rescuing you if things go wrong.

I want to see a new generation of bad ass open water swimmers dispense with the dinosaurs locked in their arcane and irrelevant rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
Trirunner wrote:

I agree. That's why I wonder how the "no wetsuit" rule has become the standard of purity. It's like saying, "I'm going to run across the Sahara, and it will be pure, solo and unassisted because I won't wear shoes." But neglecting to mention you'll have a Land Rover blazing trail, providing food and water, and rescuing you if things go wrong.

I want to see a new generation of bad ass open water swimmers dispense with the dinosaurs locked in their arcane and irrelevant rules.

----

That reminds me of watching Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman in The Long Way Down when they were in a Nth African desert doing their EPIC,BADASS,AMAZING ride on BMW 1100s and fully supported from Ireland to Cape Town and they come across a German cyclist who was five years into a solo trip around the world.Ewan turns to Charley and says something like "Don't you feels like a pussy now?"

I cracked up!!

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
Trirunner wrote:

Ya, I think once you're out of sight of the shore you're aiming for, you'd be hard pressed to navigate your way over there. I suppose you might reach shore eventually after swimming 30 miles or so and ending up 5 or 6 miles down, or up, from where you were aiming for.

On the whole though, I think you're fighting a losing battle though, as OW purists have been "no wetsuit" for like 40 or 50 yrs or more. That's a lot of tradition to go against. What I'd like to know is how fat would I have to get??? Are we talking no visible abs at all, or even full-blown love handles??? I wonder if anyone's ever done an evaluation of the relative BMI of those who've swum the Channel, i.e. does it take a BMI of 25, 28, 30, or what???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Mallett wrote:

That reminds me of watching Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman in The Long Way Down when they were in a Nth African desert doing their EPIC,BADASS,AMAZING ride on BMW 1100s and fully supported from Ireland to Cape Town and they come across a German cyclist who was five years into a solo trip around the world.Ewan turns to Charley and says something like "Don't you feels like a pussy now?"

I cracked up!!

---

Ha!

It's definitely nature's way of reminding us to keep our egos in check. Like when I'm cross-country skiing and get passed by a pregnant lady pulling a ski-Burley. http://www.burley.com/home/bur/page_3256
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had the 4th boat I wouldn't need to tow any boat! lol

Ok when I did my 16km trial swim in lake ontario the water went from calm to 3-4ft swells I only had one boat (27ft) as the support boat, no kayaks or other support boats needed for the trial swim.
I only had a shortened crew of my wife and daughter (to time my feedings and pass me my food), my swim master, ( official from SSO watching my swim) his niece a second swim master in training and the Captain, at no time did i swim along side the boat except to get my feed, I did not swim behind the boat or along the wake, for the most part the boat was usually about 20-30ft to my right so I could see it and the crew to call me for my feedings, then I would swim up to the boat.

Would i do the swim without a support boat? without or with a wetsuit? No way! You need a boat for sighting and crew for feeding, they navigate and the swimmer follows along on the open water sighting off the boat. The only time on a Solo swim that you would have boats, usually zodiacs beside you is while you swim at night, then they are on both sides of the swimmer about 5 ft from you to keep you in sight.
Could you swim solo on open water swim with a life preserver,..I mean wetsuit? Yes, anyone can swim long with a PFD, er I mean a wetsuit! ;) but the challenge is to swim naked (no wetsuit) because when you get tired with a wetsuit, you can easly rest floating on the water at any time for as long as you want, but try treading water naked after swimming for hours on end? .

When I swam pulling my boat, the boat was my lifeline while in the middle of the lake if I got in trouble, unless I had a heart attack? lol I carried my feeding on the boat I pulled, which was all liquids attached to a line hanging over the side of the boat that I could reach while I swam tethered to the boat and I always had sight of the shore which made my swim possible, and of course no wetsuit used. But could this be done across a large body of water? probably, but i wouldn't recomend it because once you lose sight of land in the water swimming you have no Idea where you are or where you are going, With no land to sight you could be swimming in circles! thus the reason for the navigation boat with GPS to keep the swimmer on course.

My advice is to learn to swim open water without a PFD, er wetsuit, before attempting any solo swimming and do it safely with support! :)

"Which brings up an interesting discussion. Which of the following is more bad ass--swimming the 20 mile Catalina Channel (for example. Insert any of your favorite channels) either:

1. No wetsuit, but with a navigation/feeding boat that will also block wind/chop and pull the swimmer in case of trouble. (ie: Catalina Channel Swimmer Federation rules); or,
  2. Wetsuit, but no boat at all for navigation/feeding/drafting/rescue. Entirely self-supported and solo.

I'm not concerned about which federations would sanction it: that's bureaucracy and ego. I want to discuss which is harder, and why no one does the latter."
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No chafing, just put the line around my waist, adjusted it till it was comfortable and away I went.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

Ya, I think once you're out of sight of the shore you're aiming for, you'd be hard pressed to navigate your way over there. I suppose you might reach shore eventually after swimming 30 miles or so and ending up 5 or 6 miles down, or up, from where you were aiming for.

On the whole though, I think you're fighting a losing battle though, as OW purists have been "no wetsuit" for like 40 or 50 yrs or more. That's a lot of tradition to go against. What I'd like to know is how fat would I have to get??? Are we talking no visible abs at all, or even full-blown love handles??? I wonder if anyone's ever done an evaluation of the relative BMI of those who've swum the Channel, i.e. does it take a BMI of 25, 28, 30, or what???

Good question. It looks like some research has been done. Here's one study. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC1724380/ (free pdf download).

They studied 8 marathon swimmers in a 6-day relay, water temps 9-11 C (48-52 F). They found a strong correlation between body fat (skinfold measurements) and the length of time they could stay in the water.

The % fat is not listed, but just going by bmi--the lightest swimmers were in the 22-24 range, and could stay in the water 20-30 minutes at a time. The heaviest ones were 26-30+ bmi, and could stay in the water longer than an hour at a time.

So while an "average" triathlete might have the natural insulation do a channel swim, a lean competitive one, possibly not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most the guys I've known to do EC aim for 20+% body fat . If you are super fast maybe less but even if only in for 8 hours you need all the padding you can get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jgp wrote:

When I swam pulling my boat, the boat was my lifeline while in the middle of the lake if I got in trouble, unless I had a heart attack? lol I carried my feeding on the boat I pulled, which was all liquids attached to a line hanging over the side of the boat that I could reach while I swam tethered to the boat and I always had sight of the shore which made my swim possible, and of course no wetsuit used. But could this be done across a large body of water? probably, but i wouldn't recomend it because once you lose sight of land in the water swimming you have no Idea where you are or where you are going, With no land to sight you could be swimming in circles! thus the reason for the navigation boat with GPS to keep the swimmer on course.

Sure, but for a couple thousand years sailors have been crossing oceans with celestial navigation. For a daytime swim a watch, the sun, and some knowledge (and application) of navigation are all that's needed. I've done it on land while trekking.

Night time you might be hosed if there's cloud cover (no moon or stars), but that's part of the adventure, no?

Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's impossible! Let's hear it for the new breed of adventure swimmers!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [SwimRunTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwimRunTri wrote:
Most the guys I've known to do EC aim for 20+% body fat . If you are super fast maybe less but even if only in for 8 hours you need all the padding you can get.

Do they look like this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [Nick Mallett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick Mallett wrote:
www.johnvanwisse.com

-----

Methinks that his channel swimming weight:

Is quite different from his Kona weight:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, think he's prob about 35-40 lbs heavier, which is about what I'd prob need to gain myself if I wanted to try the EC. I think I'll stick with warmer swims:)

Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Firstly, huge props to anyone who can swim these distances in any conditions!

There's just no point in trying to compare the English Channel to the Staright of Cortez or Lake Tahoe or pretty much any other body of water. I grew-up swimming in (certainly not across!) the EC and have sailed in it a great deal. That is a scary body of water, even in a boat! The currents are huge as the water funnels through the Straights of Dover (where the crossing is shortest); the water is always freakin' cold even in "summer" (which, by US standards basically doesn't exist there! :-) ) and even a "flat" day has considerable swell/chop. On top of that, it's like a super highway for shipping - very scary!

Swimming the Channel is an enormous achievement and I would respectfully suggest that a VERY small number of Ironman finishers could complete it unless they had undergone significant "Channel specific" training.

It seems to me that the EC swimmers should be happy with their own accomplishments - why do they have to be compared to Nyad's (and vice versa)?

http://rogersroadrash.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why do English Channel swimmers consider their swim "unassisted"? [Rolly Jogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rolly Jogger wrote:
Firstly, huge props to anyone who can swim these distances in any conditions!

There's just no point in trying to compare the English Channel to the Staright of Cortez or Lake Tahoe or pretty much any other body of water. I grew-up swimming in (certainly not across!) the EC and have sailed in it a great deal. That is a scary body of water, even in a boat! The currents are huge as the water funnels through the Straights of Dover (where the crossing is shortest); the water is always freakin' cold even in "summer" (which, by US standards basically doesn't exist there! :-) ) and even a "flat" day has considerable swell/chop. On top of that, it's like a super highway for shipping - very scary!

Swimming the Channel is an enormous achievement and I would respectfully suggest that a VERY small number of Ironman finishers could complete it unless they had undergone significant "Channel specific" training.

It seems to me that the EC swimmers should be happy with their own accomplishments - why do they have to be compared to Nyad's (and vice versa)?

Since you actually used to live on or near the EC, when you saw people trying to swim the Channel, did it appear that they were getting any sort of draft off of the boat??? Just curious, no plans to try:)

Quote Reply

Prev Next