Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
I have absolutely no idea what 'downtube shifting, but on the aerobars' could possibly mean.
Sounds like a lovely bike, though.
You can run 9 of 10 speeds on a 7-speed freehub no problem. Just lose the biggest sprocket&spacer from a 10 speed cassette. If the wheelset is freewheel, well, things might get a little funky.

You probably need 20 years of history to remember this: The Profile Swift Shift

Last edited by: tigerpaws: Aug 17, 12 15:37
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a bike Business if you need parts let me know, give you a deal
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, so I looked into beam bikes about 3-4 months ago. Seems like unless you have $12K to burn your next option for new beam bikes (tri related) that would hold muster with ST'ers is...

both of these bikes are fabricated by :

Graeme Pearson, the Cycpro is the Ai5 model (newest) and not sure what the other one is, however Graeme makes both. Cycpro licenses design to Graeme to build. These look really nice, however they are not cheap. I think about $5K-$6K frame/fork depending on exchange rates. He is in New Zealand I think Check out his web site

www.pearsonbikes.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are the exact shifters on the softride that I got. My big project aside from doing my taxes when I get home from IM Tremblant is to build out this Softride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarification.
Looks like a pair of Jagwire adaptor pods could be in your future. I got them on closeout from Planet X UK for £15, lovely little things.

Good luck with your taxes, that looms large for me too! Thanks for the reminder

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Last edited by: Barchettaman: Aug 18, 12 1:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev I sold my old parts bin to a local CraigsList Hoarder not 6 months ago. What exactly do you need as I still have the guys email in my contacts. I had 126m stuff too, old school. Let me know if you don't find what you need and I will reach out to see if he still has any.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a medium softride on EBAY now, $525, 3 days left with no bids.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [mfrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty funky looking....back in the mid 90's, I loved my Powerwing!

Train Harder...Race Faster!
http://www.dbmnutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been wondering for years whether these frames were just a gimmick or legitimately good bikes. I suppose I can't judge too harshly as the maker of my bike (Aegis) has also gone out of business...
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribato wrote:
it's definitely not as light as my parlee TT but i have an elite aria with a softride beam. i call it "the couch" because it's SOOO comfy. i need to ride it more though. i stuck it on the trainer last winter and it's still there.

I had an Aria a few years back. A bit heavy but on a flat course I could ride in the aero bars all days with no discomfort at all. Wish I could have afforded to keep that when I got a newer bike, I loved that bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the Specialized:

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I recently broke the through-bolt on my TiCycles Softride... Some one mentioned contacting Co-Motion Cycles. They only have the disks that go into the transverse tube at the rear pivot assembly (Classic beam design). Turns out that the disks on my Softride had cracked around the (very thin) lip that contacts this transverse tube. In any case, I'm sending them off to Dave Levy at TiCycles Fabrication in Portland and I imagine he'll be fabbing up some parts to serve the market soon. Maybe he'll have bolt assemblies as well. Since I'm down to two functioning bikes out of three because of the failure of that particular assembly, it seems I need some spares...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
So I recently broke the through-bolt on my TiCycles Softride... Some one mentioned contacting Co-Motion Cycles. They only have the disks that go into the transverse tube at the rear pivot assembly (Classic beam design). Turns out that the disks on my Softride had cracked around the (very thin) lip that contacts this transverse tube. In any case, I'm sending them off to Dave Levy at TiCycles Fabrication in Portland and I imagine he'll be fabbing up some parts to serve the market soon. Maybe he'll have bolt assemblies as well. Since I'm down to two functioning bikes out of three because of the failure of that particular assembly, it seems I need some spares...

Not sure if it will help. I have a 700 Powerwing with extra pivot bolts, not sure if that's what you need. I purchased them a few years back when I was worried about getting replacements in the future which seems to have happened now.

I loved my Powerwing but it was a bit big and I replaced it a couple of years ago for a bike that fits me. I just swapped out all of the Dura Ace parts and put it on a nice Aegis road frame for my youngest daughter so my Softride is officially no more. Guess I should sell the frame or see what I can get for the beam. I never would've replaced it if it actually fit.
Last edited by: RottieGuy: Aug 20, 12 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [RottieGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you willing to sell the extra bolts?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [RottieGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be interested in buying any spare parts you might have for your old PowerWing..
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Henry,

riding myself a Fastt 650c I would be very interested in a seat post like yours. Is there any chance to get one?

Best regards, Achim
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:
How about the Specialized:

Holy smokes who here remembers 'Wear and Tear' aero fairings(front wheel logo). If anyone remembers Jim Langfeldt riding those in the midwest it was a hoot. Have no idea if they worked, but dang those were the days of some interesting gadgets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TitanFlex is alive, well and far under $12k.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 power V's, a 650 black that I ride all the time and a 700c yellow and red IRONMAN bike that is hanging on the wall. Thinking about bringing that one out of retirement and up grading the parts.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, I recognize TitanFlex from way back when Molina was riding them. Guess that was my point a bit, TitanFlex does not look any different, not that there is anything wrong with that. Just that in today’s market, if you stand still, you fall behind.

TJ's bike is cool, however looking at the spread on Tririg.com, it still looks very prototype. Not something that people would be shelling out 12K for IMO.

Pearson bikes look cool, but have not heard of anyone in the USA that rides them, plus they are about 5-6K I think.

I am interested in a trying a beam bike but I would like to see more innovation in the design.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, not sure if it holds muster in slowtwitchia as you say, but I do like my titanflex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree TF could use some updating. Tom has posted on here recently talking about some changes in the near future most notably with internal cabling, brake placement and front end aero improvements.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, I am not one to be throwing stones. I still ride and aluminum Cervelo and like it. Just that in the market today (and here on ST), seems like most want carbon fiber with the latest aero features.

If you feel powerful and comfortable on your TF bike, that is the fastest setup for sure.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: Who is still riding a Softride? [Barchettaman] :)
I just bought my second Zipp, does that count?
I love my Zipp 2001 and 3001. Definitely not the lightest/most up to date bike out there, but every time I look at it it makes me happy.
Anybody want to buy my 4 month old QR CD0.1 for $2000. ? :)

2011 Broward County 60-64M Sprint Tri Champion
2011 1st place 60-64M Race Troops Sprint Tri
2012 1st place 60-64M Spring Training Sprint Tri
2013 1st place 60-64M Bone Island HIM
2013 1st place 60-64M Tri-Miami International Tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw this thread again and started dreaming of the days with my Kestrel 500 SCI and my Softride (had them both). Picture of my custom painted by John Cobb circa 1999?

It also had my short lived experiment with a Mavic Mektronic setup which was the smoothest shifting I ever had.

Craig Preston
President | Preston Presentations

Helping people be present more effectively
Quote Reply

Prev Next