Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is your second bike, and why?
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 Specialized Shiv Comp as my one and only bike. I am considering getting a second, non-tri, bike for general (not commuting) riding and group riding. The options, however, are overwhelming - general road bikes like the Cervelo R series, endurance bikes like the Specialized Roubiax or Trek Domane, and aero road bikes like the Cervelo S series.

What do you have as your non-tri bike (or is your tri bike your secondary bike)? Why?

(P.S. I know fit is king, but at this point it is a question of which bikes to even try. I am also not necessarily in the market to purchase right this moment. Winter is coming and I will be inside on the trainer for the next several months.)
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [Apollo526] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe consider a crossbike too, with 2 set of wheels you are kinda all year condition set.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tri bike is primary, and just bought a Merckx MX Leader to build up as an occasional road bike. :)

As to why..........I don't feel the need for a second tri bike, and I started road racing in the 90's, so wanted a road frame like I used to race on. It is currently being repainted for me. And of course, I could always throw clip-ons on it if I needed it as a back up bike for a tri race.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Oct 27, 18 8:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always been a Trek Guy so in addition to my new Speed Concept I have an H1 Trek Domane that I use for training and group rides. If I were shopping today for a new road bike I would consider the Trek Madone which is a surprisingly comfortable, light weight aero bike. But honestly there are so many great bikes out there now it boils down to which one speaks to you.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

shoki has a good point - a second bike that can do several things is a great option.

Cannondale CAAD 12. You do almost anything with it.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [PennBen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PennBen wrote:

I had a CAAD 10 a couple of years ago and loved that bike. It was unfortunately stolen from my garage shortly before I moved cross country and I never replaced it (went from living in a house to a small apartment). I for sure miss that bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going the other way I'm going to sell my road bike and have two tri bikes.

Train like you fight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only one second bike,?
Depending on where you'd be riding. Or racing? For riding in a group go for a disc road with a good spread of gears.
Find a colour you like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surly Cross Check. Solid, steel frame, nice wide tires. I wish it had disc brakes, but I bought it second-hand. It does it all. Bike packing, commuting, gravel. I've got fenders and a rear rack on it. Living up in Minneapolis, I've gotta have a beater for the weather.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for a cross bike.

I have a Santa Cruz Stigmata and am thinking of ditching my road bike.

I have to work a bit harder on group rides because I am running 36 mm tires, but that okay by me. The ride is really plush on the roads and I can take it off road when I want.

I have two sets of wheels for the Stigmata, but I rarely swap in my knobbies.

Get a spider based PM - that way you won’t have to worry about smashing your pedals or crank when you go off road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my second bike is a road bike, because training on a road bike opens up so many avenues to better fitness, and also it's fun.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tri bike is third behind my road bike (Giant TCR) and mountain bike (YT Jeffsy 29er). My roadie is much more versatile than my tri bike and I use it for group rides and general training. It's comfortable enough for long rides but aggressive enough to keep up on fast group rides. I pretty much only ride my tri bike when racing or preparing for a specific race.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I'm going the other way I'm going to sell my road bike and have two tri bikes.

Train like you fight.

I have two tri bikes and two road bikes so I can't really say which one is second. But the most versatile is my 2015 Argon 18 Gallium Pro road bike. It is all Dura Ace with a mid compact crank and DA C35 wheels. These are aluminum rim so I naturally have rim brakes .... purposely stayed away from disc brakes. The front end is an Enve Aero base bar with narrow Enve handle bars that sweep wide in the drops for better control. It has integrated Enve aero bars and an after market carbon Red Shift seat post that allows me to shift between road and tri positions on the fly. I've raced this bike in triathlons several times and it gives up very little to my TT bikes. If I could only keep one bike it would be this one. BTW, this bike is mech. One of my TT bikes is Sram Red eTap and my other road bike is Ui2. Gallium Pro mech for the win.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri bike is my main bike. Bought a Felt Road Bike, put a Quarq on it....and have ridden it 1 time outdoors and a handful of times on a trainer when away from home. It was the second time I bought a road bike and it was a stupid purchase. I started with Triathlon and don't like riding in a pack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not enough info. If you live in an area with good gravel or mountain bike riding then I would kinda lean towards a bike that could do that. If that stuff isn't readily accessible, those bikes are kinda turds for riding mostly on the road. If I could only have two bikes then something like the new Madone or the new aero C-dale would have to be the choice. The Madone is a pretty wickedly fast and comfortable road bike, but I think you slap some cross tires on there in a pinch and take it gravel riding. We have a gravel fondo with 100 miles of mostly packed dirt and some single track. I rode it on a Mtn bike with cross tires and it wasn't ideal. In fact there was no part of the ride/race where it was advantageous. It was just a kind of lumbering turd everywhere. Most people were on cross and gravel bikes. Some on pure road bikes with 25 or 28 mm road tires and except for a short trek through a farmer's field the pure road bikes worked pretty darn well. Assuming you can get a cross tire on there, the Madone would be my weapon of choice for that gravel fondo and it is a killer road bike the rest of the time. .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My BMC TM02 is my second bike. I use it for triathlons and road training. My first bike is my Specialized Diverge. It does everything I need a bike to do and is a joy to ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#1 bike: Cannondale Scalpel (MTB)
#2 bike: Orbea Diva (road) It's more like the #1 bike but for the road.
#3 bike: Cervelo P2 (tri) I only did one race weekend on the road last year

The order will change next year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what you want, a regular road bike or gravel bike will fit the bill.

I have a bunch of bikes, I’d be hard pressed to call any of them my “main” bike. This year I was mostly on my tri bike, but that was the first time I’ve tried that and I don’t think I’ll repeat that experiment.

For what I do, if I were limited to 2 bikes I’d have an road bike with clipons disc brakes and lots of tire clearance for triathlons, odd group ride, and general training, and a hardtail 29er XC oriented mountain bike with a second set of wheels with cross tires mounted to them. That combo would let me ride pretty much anywhere around here that I’m capable of riding.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Oct 27, 18 11:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apollo526 wrote:
PennBen wrote:

I had a CAAD 10 a couple of years ago and loved that bike. It was unfortunately stolen from my garage shortly before I moved cross country and I never replaced it (went from living in a house to a small apartment). I for sure miss that bike.

My second bike is a CAAD10 that I built up myself. Love it. It's my trainer/bad-weather day bike.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a 2003 Fuji newest that weighs around 23 pounds. Looking at upgrading it to a specialized Allez that will fit my wife and I.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends where you live and what you want a second bike for. You said general riding and group riding. A nice cross or gravel bike with 2 wheel sets would be my vote.

My stable:
TitanFlex Transition
LeMond Poprad cross bike
De Vinci Django full suspension mtn Bike
Motobecane Fat Bike
Trek 5500 on dedicated trainer duty

All get used regularly.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo R3 is my main bike - the one i lovingly ride and clean and lock up after use.

My "2nd bike" is my Cannondale Slice which sits on my trainer full time. It only went outside for 15 miles this year on an abortive 70.3 ride...
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Apollo526 wrote:
PennBen wrote:

My second bike is a CAAD10 that I built up myself. Love it. It's my trainer/bad-weather day bike.
My second bike is also a CAAD10 and I also built it up myself. And it is also for me my bad weather / trainer bike. Like it a lot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally would just get a standard road bike dependent of your budget. If you're just group riding no need for an aero road etc. Read there was a recent post how a lot of triathletes/Ironman athletes actually do most of their riding on a road bike. Other option is all the gravel bikes coming out. A better geometry than a cross bike and can put wide tires on to ride on the dirt roads if is a good option for where you live.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [ [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Main bike is a 2012 trek SC7.0 FLOs 90/90 1x di2 and my other bike is my lovely spesh 2012 sworks venge di2 FLOs 60/90

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next