Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel?
Quote | Reply
My 2001 Audi A6 is on it's last legs and I am in the market for a replacement.

One of the things I appreciate about it, though, is, if I fold down the rear seats, my tri or road bike can fit in the trunk without taking off the front wheel. Remarkably, it's less of a hairdo than trying to fit one in to my wife's Toyota Highlander SUV.

In any case, I'm in the market for another car that can do the same.

Please respond with your make/model year and if:

Yes - the bike fits
or
No - doesn't fit (without taking off the front wheel, etc)

Thanks; hope this is helpful for others as well.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the trunk, but along the lines
Last edited by: Nonojohn: Aug 18, 18 1:25
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until recently we had a 2014 Mazda 3 hatch - traded it in a couple of months for a (2018) VW Golf R hatch. Both cars fit my bike inside without taking the wheels off. Might be also relevant to mention that I’m riding Small sized bike frames.

The Mazda has more space in the back and I took the TT bike to the VW dealership in order to check the Golf - hubby was very pleased it fitted!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tesla model S fits my road and Tri bike with the seats folded down. Technically, it’s a hatchback so pretty decent setup for road tripping to races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Ford Taurus SHO takes my tt bike in one bite with the rear seats folded down. And it's a fun ride there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes: Honda Civic hatchback, 2017.

Also gets great mileage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a topic where every Honda Element owner comes out the winner. I bought an Element in 2009 for exactly that reason and that reason only - be able to put my bike in the car, standing upright without having to take the wheels out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second the Mazda 3 Hatch. Mines a 2013 and my medium Shiv fits without issues. It's also fun to drive!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dodge Grand Caravan. Its not even close. I can easily get 3 people with bikes and gear inside, and probably 4 if I actually try to maximize space efficiency. It removing wheels is an option, then I might be able to get 5 inside the vehicle, though I haven’t tried it.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I miss my Honda Element
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMW 5-series touring can take the bike only half of the rear folded, so 3 people + bike goes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2014 Subaru Forester. Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: What cars can fit your bike in the trunk - without taking off the front wheel? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
This is a topic where every Honda Element owner comes out the winner. I bought an Element in 2009 for exactly that reason and that reason only - be able to put my bike in the car, standing upright without having to take the wheels out.

Glad I got one a year or so ago, easily takes a couple of bikes (wheels on) and any kit. Just works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CRV. Both my size medium Propel and the larger Crockett fit.

Wheels off you can fold the seats on one side and tie the frames down and have a passenger on one side in the back.

I do miss our A6 Avant though. Lovely car but way too many “fancy car” issues. We had a 2006 or 2008. Can’t remember.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking something along the lines of a 1960s Lincoln Continental

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VW Sportwagen.

I’ve fit each of the following in there w/ both wheels on, in order of increasing difficulty:
Cervelo P5
Ridley X-Trail
Ibis Ripley (dropper post makes this ez)
Framed Minnesota fat bike - this is a toight squeeze.

Bonus points - inexpensive, peppy, good handling, gets great gas mileage (I’m averaging 34-35mpg).

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you already drive an Audi, it’s probably on your radar, but A7/S7 fit the bike with seats folded down.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my 2017 Mazda CX-5 - bikes fit without taking off front wheel

previous 2 cars were an old-style BMW X1 and the latest style of BMW X1 - both could fit any of my bikes with front wheel on.

my road bikes are 56 - average size
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honda Element
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honda CRV 2012 & 2017 - yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2001 Toyota RAV4 - yes
2018 Toyota RAV4 - yes
2016 Subaru Outback - yes

The latter two have back seats which fold down flat which makes a nice easy platform to put a bike it in and out

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can easily get a bike in my VW GTI hatchback without taking off the front wheel.

Quote | Reply
Honda hrv 2017 - my road bike fits easy, the bikes fit but need to have the front wheel tilted up.

Wife's honda Pilot 2017 - 2 bikes of medium size fit standing.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prius. It’s an amazing car for the money

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dodge Ram 2500 - yes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next