Prev Next
Re: What's something the sport needs? [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmuffin wrote:
Whats something triathlon needs??

Some self-awareness

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: What's something the sport needs? [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:
It's a broad statement but...

The sport needs fewer barriers to participation. A welcoming atmosphere (some races do this well already), equipment readily available for people to participate that don't have it, etc.

Generally if you're on this forum, you're at the pointy end of the participation spectrum. We would develop the sport well if we focus on the other end of the spectrum and find ways to enable anyone to participate, at their own level.

Fewer barriers??
Swim googles 10:00$
Bike 50-100
Helmet 10-20
Shoes 20
It doesn’t really cost that much to get into triathlon. Triathlon can be hard. I think the turn off is the swimming. If you didn’t grow up swimming it can be hard to learn to swim. It takes time and a lot of hard work and people these days don’t want to work for anything.

This is pretty baloney.

You need somewhere to swim which generally means a gym membership and for a lot of people they can’t swim. They can survive in the water but that’s it.

If you rode a 50 dollar bike in a tri you’d be miserable. You’d be out there 5x longer than the next person. It wouldn’t be fun. You need a decent bike for cycling to be fun. Now that can still be under a $1k but it needs to be decent or it won’t be fun. Also you need cycling clothes too,
shitty clothes will make it not enjoyable also.

Helmet- sure that’s probably right.

Shoes- no one is running in 20 dollar shoes come on. Sure you could find some 20 dollar ones to race on once that are probably falling apart. But if you don’t want run injuries and are running a few times a week it’s not 20 bucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A podcast with good content with enough of a following and backing to not rely on sport specific endemic sponsorship hosted by an independent voice that challenges prevailing or conventional wisdom.
Quote Reply
Re: What's something the sport needs? [fat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds interesting. Can you given an example of challenging conventional or prevailing wisdom?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: What's something the sport needs? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-real-starky-show
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pro's need to be less nicer to each other, controversies and rivalry pulls in the casuals and non fans, look at how Muhammad Ali and Floyd turned themselves into huge stars.

Ali Brownlee and Frodo need to go one step further and start Wrestling with each other the next race there in at the finish (after bad mouthing each other in the build up)

Same with the Olympics get some national rivalry going in the build ups, get the media's interest everyone watching.

Money will flood into the sport after, the sport is really bad at marketing itself its too nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think more relays or relay type races. Allows a small group of friends to get together for the race (The more social the better for the younger generations). I could probably think of maybe 2-3 people that I know that would be willing to try a triathlon and those people have either done them before or are really into fitness as a hobby. I could easily find 5 or more to do a relay. Hardest person to find would be the swimmer and the runner would be the easiest. I know a few that do the Peloton bikes and so definitely get a few of them to jump on a bike. But none of the peloton'rs would do a full tri.

I think once they get to the race and see the guys and gals doing the full thing and the race atmosphere you can hook a few into signing up for the next race on the calendar.
Quote Reply
Re: What's something the sport needs? [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
A really good Oly dist. series/scene (like the old Bud Light USTS), so it's not all about 70.3/IM.

fourth, and get rid of tri bikes. That will be more entry friendly, as the road bike is most popular type of bike people have.

Last I checked a tri bike wasn’t required...so not sure how “getting rid of tri bikes” will make sport more entry friendly?

People come do a race, see they cant hang with the unaffordable tri bike, and quit
Quote Reply
Re: What's something the sport needs? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
The pro's need to be less nicer to each other, controversies and rivalry pulls in the casuals and non fans, look at how Muhammad Ali and Floyd turned themselves into huge stars.

Ali Brownlee and Frodo need to go one step further and start Wrestling with each other the next race there in at the finish (after bad mouthing each other in the build up)

Same with the Olympics get some national rivalry going in the build ups, get the media's interest everyone watching.

Money will flood into the sport after, the sport is really bad at marketing itself its too nice.

This. It would make pro triathlon far more entertaining. We need more rivalries.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: What's something the sport needs? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Ali Brownlee and Frodo ...

Better nicknames

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less nerds
Quote Reply
Re: What's something the sport needs? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
SwizBeats wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
A really good Oly dist. series/scene (like the old Bud Light USTS), so it's not all about 70.3/IM.

fourth, and get rid of tri bikes. That will be more entry friendly, as the road bike is most popular type of bike people have.

Last I checked a tri bike wasn’t required...so not sure how “getting rid of tri bikes” will make sport more entry friendly?

People come do a race, see they cant hang with the unaffordable tri bike, and quit

This is why I like swimming and running races.....equipment is not an excuse either way.
Quote Reply
Re: What's something the sport needs? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

I'm not sure if that would have much of an impact. At the majority of races I've done in the last decade, most of the people were not on tri bikes. In many cases, MTBs and hybrids outnumbered them. In some of those races, my 2008 QR Lucero was one of the closest to being a superbike. Granted, I haven't been doing M-Dot races, most of these were local sprints and Olys. But at least at that level, I'm not seeing people being intimidated by not having "the right bike"...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fat wrote:
Less nerds

Cobra Kai, no mercy!

We need more finish line cheerleaders.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More race formats. The Super League's sprint Enduro and Triple Mix are great, I would love to see some amateur races take on those formats. Also formats where it an equal test of swim/bike/run (so for a sprint, the fastest split in each discipline is ~20 minutes).

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
proper race coverage. man it's tedious being a fan of this sport.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Re: What's something the sport needs? [FtStri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FtStri wrote:
proper race coverage. man it's tedious being a fan of this sport.
Maybe it is because I come from an era where we had to wait weeks (or months) to read event results in magazines but I think the coverage these days is awesome. I can,and often do,spend all day watching race coverage from events past and present around the world and am able to follow pro's racing and training like never before. Yes,we all get frustrated that the Ironman coverage can be scrappy but we are spoiled rotten for all things triathlon related if we want to go out and find it.
Quote Reply
Re: What's something the sport needs? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race coverage these days is awesome? Man there are some low expectations.

Biggest annual event at Kona and there are no splits given at the end of each leg, e.g. as the competitors are getting out the water/ out of T1, no time gaps given across most of the race between groups on the bike etc, only a couple of race cameras on motorbikes to cover the whole of the men's and women's races which pretty much just sit next to the leader and film them. Absolutely no sense of any race happening, just looks like people out exercising.

Last year we didn't even have any idea what had happened to Brownlee when he disappeared because of a puncture, or when Kienle punctured at the beginning of the bike in 2018. We had no idea if the Wurf/Kienle/Sanders bike train was making any impact on the Frodeno group last year etc etc etc. Again, there is absolutely no sense that a race is actually happening.

And these are on fixed courses. Imagine if the TDF coverage was done as they do it for Kona, would be an absolute joke.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Re: What's something the sport needs? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't believe how much criticism this guy got on here for actually showing emotion at winning his first Ironman - when people on the same forum are whining about wanting more character and rivalries from the pro's.

Thought this celebration was awesome.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FtStri wrote:
Race coverage these days is awesome? Man there are some low expectations.

Biggest annual event at Kona and there are no splits given at the end of each leg, e.g. as the competitors are getting out the water/ out of T1, no time gaps given across most of the race between groups on the bike etc, only a couple of race cameras on motorbikes to cover the whole of the men's and women's races which pretty much just sit next to the leader and film them. Absolutely no sense of any race happening, just looks like people out exercising.

Last year we didn't even have any idea what had happened to Brownlee when he disappeared because of a puncture, or when Kienle punctured at the beginning of the bike in 2018. We had no idea if the Wurf/Kienle/Sanders bike train was making any impact on the Frodeno group last year etc etc etc. Again, there is absolutely no sense that a race is actually happening.

And these are on fixed courses. Imagine if the TDF coverage was done as they do it for Kona, would be an absolute joke.

I see that you are madly posting on several threads at once and in your excitement have lost a little comprehension as I said that compared to years ago the coverage is great and that the coverage of Ironman races can be shabby.If, as you say, you are a fan of the sport then there is a wealth of entertainment available across all the various races as Ironman to me isn't the be all and end all of our sport.

Comparing Kona to the Tour de France is something only a triathlete would do.They are two different animals completely with Kona not even in the same ballpark...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrible coverage in the past, and slightly less terrible coverage now, does not = awesome race coverage (as stated by your initial reply).

With regard to the TDF not being comparable to Kona, if you're meaning that in terms of the level of interest in the event, might want to ask yourself why those events are not comparable in that respect.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
... not even in the same ballpark...

Vincent: It's not, it's the same ballpark.
Jules: It ain't no fucking ball park neither! Now look, maybe your method of massage differs from mine, but < let's just skip over that part > It ain't the same league. It ain't even the same fucking sport! Look, foot massages don't mean shit!

Quote Reply
Re: What's something the sport needs? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
... not even in the same ballpark...

Vincent: It's not, it's the same ballpark.
Jules: It ain't no fucking ball park neither! Now look, maybe your method of massage differs from mine, but < let's just skip over that part > It ain't the same league. It ain't even the same fucking sport! Look, foot massages don't mean shit!

Hahaha,classic!

Jules Winnfield: I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration? Oh, you were finished. Well, allow me to retort.

Dude should have been an ST'er... :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FtStri wrote:
Terrible coverage in the past, and slightly less terrible coverage now, does not = awesome race coverage

Depends on how far back you go and where you were

A few pages in Sports Illustrated here in the US every July - long after Le Tour was over - might just as well be old hieroglyphics

Weekly updates on ABCs Wide World of Sports or CBSs Sports Spectacular move us into kinetoscope territory

And so on up the scale

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fat wrote:
Less nerds

fewer nerds
Quote Reply

Prev Next