Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
vonschnapps wrote:
monty wrote:
I for one don’t agree with the swim skin ban, //

So you would be for 10mm wetsuits for pool swimming events? Maybe a floatie skim board that straps around your body, and you can really reduce the resistance..What's your line, or do you not have one?

I understand that there is a simplicity and beauty in swimming and competing with just the barest of equipment. My line is anything that provides a mechanical advantage that allows greater energy return than the energy expended. So no springs in shoes, no motors, no buoyancy devices, no fins. Reducing resistance with swim skins, while it does provide a mechanical advantage, by itself doesn’t provide a greater energy return (yes you have more energy because you’re not as fatigued, but not because the swim skin propelled you).

As I keep saying, springs in trainers aren’t more than 100% efficient. The best trainer around is likely no better than 70%.

You need to actually be precise on definitions

Energy Expended by the human organism = Mechanical Work Generated + Heat

We can't have something that allows for increased mechanical work generation (example built in motor on a bike). But wait, we also can't have tools that change speed for the exact same mechanical work (an example of this is fins or paddles).

The question is if Vaporflies allow for a better conversion of the same mechancal work to speed.

Energy return in another matter. Its not really energy return as its impossible for a passive device to return more energy to forward motion than the human put into it in mechanical work. A built in motor will help improve that beyond 100%. But no passive device like a running shoe or spring or fins can. They can only help convert the same mechanical work to more speed.

So really the question is the mechanical energy conversion capability of the passive device to forward speed fundamentally altering the sport at a competitive level:

1. fins: yes
  2. paddles: yes
  3. rubber skinsuits and wetsuits: yes
  4. shoes with built in springs: yes (you know, the Wiley Coyote acme shoes)
  5. shoes with carbon plate and funny foam: ?????

I think there is mounting evidence that the conversion rate from mechanical work to speed is superior for Vaporfly's vs conventional shoes is in the exact same camp as rubberized skinsuits in swimming (at least in rough percentages).

I say ban from elite competition, use them all you want in training and in rec sport.

Now we just need Kiphchoge to go break 2 hours head to head with Bekele at the Berlin marathon at a real race. None of this concocted race.....we can let IAAF decide what shoes they can wear, but dammit, break 2 hrs in a real race, not a fake staged event.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
So really the question is the mechanical energy conversion capability of the passive device to forward speed fundamentally altering the sport at a competitive level...

That seems like a really logical criteria for deciding whether a technology should be banned. However, there have been a lot of big technology changes that were approved by regulators even though they had a huge competitive impact. Nobody's challenging the hour record on a steel frame bike anymore, just like nobody's playing at Wimbeldon with a wooden racket, etc.

I think the real criteria for banning a new technology isn't very logical. Are the regulators offended by it or not? In cycling, the aero clothing and carbon everything still looked natural enough to regulators when they first came in. Also the margin of victory was really small, with Greg Le Mond winning by 4 seconds, etc. People could live with marginal change.

When Graham O'Bree broke the hour record in a superman pose it just looked wrong. Also when swimmers smashed every record in the now banned full body speed suit it seemed unfair to the previous record holders. The standard changed too quickly for people to get used to it.

I think the real rules actually in place for banning any safe technology are:

1) Anything that justs look weird probably will be banned.
2) Anything that improves results so quickly that we pay more attention to the tech than the athletic competition probably also will be banned.
3) Anything that breaks both 1 and 2 is always banned.

In the vaporfly next%'s favor, it looks like a normal shoe, but it's not a good sign that people are paying so much attention to the shoe and the rate of improvement is also so noticeable. The next great running performance is probably just attributed to the shoes. Can't have that, so probably it gets banned. If it had been introduced more gradually, it would have been marginal gains and therefore fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

1) You need to actually be precise on definitions. Energy Expended by the human organism = Mechanical Work Generated + Heat

2) We can't have something that allows for increased mechanical work generation (example built in motor on a bike). But wait, we also can't have tools that change speed for the exact same mechanical work (an example of this is fins or paddles).

3) The question is if Vaporflies allow for a better conversion of the same mechancal work to speed.

4) Energy return in another matter. Its not really energy return as its impossible for a passive device to return more energy to forward motion than the human put into it in mechanical work. They can only help convert the same mechanical work to more speed.

5) So really the question is the mechanical energy conversion capability of the passive device to forward speed fundamentally altering the sport at a competitive level:

6) I think there is mounting evidence that the conversion rate from mechanical work to speed is superior for Vaporfly's vs conventional shoes is in the exact same camp as rubberized skinsuits in swimming (at least in rough percentages).

7) None of this concocted race.....we can let IAAF decide what shoes they can wear, but dammit, break 2 hrs in a real race, not a fake staged event.

Good points Dev.

1) My choice of language was deliberate and is aligned to one of the discussion points in a framework illustrated here here https://link.springer.com/...86/s40064-015-1331-x . The idea being that you have an ethical foundation and then substantiate this through science (Freeman 1991). In the case of talking about energy return, it relates to a discussion point about the need for 'passiveness' but as you rightfully point out, that is merely one angle to the debate. I'll get to your other excellent points further down here...

2) In philosophical terms, the concern you raise is whether the sport has been 'deskilled' or alternatively 'reskilled' due to these shoes. Or in other words, has it been made easier or changed the nature of running entirely. Pistorius prosthetics are a good example of where he reskilled running but did not deskill it (as he was still running at maximum possible pace but the style of locomotion he used was inherently different to what has gone before). Deskilling and reskilling will likely be discussed by the panel as its pretty common in sports ethics parlance.

3) The shoes have been shown to be reduce inefficiency so I don't believe this is in any doubt. The question is whether the amount of improvement is deemed acceptable. That's an ethical debate. I do have a journal paper that I've submitted that argues (with evidence) about the margin of improvement and I'll share that here if it gets accepted for publication.

4) .... so this then leads into another standard discussion point about whether the technology is 'an advantage over the sport' itself. You need a baseline on that. That baseline is debatable as things stand but I'd be interested to know what any of you here think about that. My point regarding energy return was worded the way it was as the WA rules specifically mention 'passiveness' (and energy return discussion addresses that). I would argue with you that the debate of their efficacy involves other mechanisms. The bottom line is that the rules are currently inadequate - I was part of the team that looked at the Pisotorius effect and his prosthetics were legal by the rules yet had many advantages (and disadvantages to be fair).

5) It's big question but not the only question that we need to ask.

6) I would argue you're comparing apples to oranges in those examples but I like your thinking on the speed to improvement conversion. I should also add that the reason the suits were outlawed (eventually - it took nigh on 9 years to resolve the case) was as much due to concerns over access and other factors as it was due to their improvement. It should be noted that by the time the suits were eventually banned, it didn't take long for the records that were set with them to still be beaten - I have argued in the past that part of their benefit was psychological. Either way, I have evidence submitted that demonstrates the level of performance gain of these shoes is in keeping with the sport of running over the last 50 years and no worse than many other sports either.

7) It wasn't ever intended to be a race. The exercise has been misrepresented by the press and media. It was an experiment. Albeit a very successful one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

1) You need to actually be precise on definitions. Energy Expended by the human organism = Mechanical Work Generated + Heat

2) We can't have something that allows for increased mechanical work generation (example built in motor on a bike). But wait, we also can't have tools that change speed for the exact same mechanical work (an example of this is fins or paddles).

3) The question is if Vaporflies allow for a better conversion of the same mechancal work to speed.

4) Energy return in another matter. Its not really energy return as its impossible for a passive device to return more energy to forward motion than the human put into it in mechanical work. They can only help convert the same mechanical work to more speed.

5) So really the question is the mechanical energy conversion capability of the passive device to forward speed fundamentally altering the sport at a competitive level:

6) I think there is mounting evidence that the conversion rate from mechanical work to speed is superior for Vaporfly's vs conventional shoes is in the exact same camp as rubberized skinsuits in swimming (at least in rough percentages).

7) None of this concocted race.....we can let IAAF decide what shoes they can wear, but dammit, break 2 hrs in a real race, not a fake staged event.

Good points Dev.

1) My choice of language was deliberate and is aligned to one of the discussion points in a framework illustrated here here https://link.springer.com/...86/s40064-015-1331-x . The idea being that you have an ethical foundation and then substantiate this through science (Freeman 1991). In the case of talking about energy return, it relates to a discussion point about the need for 'passiveness' but as you rightfully point out, that is merely one angle to the debate. I'll get to your other excellent points further down here...

2) In philosophical terms, the concern you raise is whether the sport has been 'deskilled' or alternatively 'reskilled' due to these shoes. Or in other words, has it been made easier or changed the nature of running entirely. Pistorius prosthetics are a good example of where he reskilled running but did not deskill it (as he was still running at maximum possible pace but the style of locomotion he used was inherently different to what has gone before). Deskilling and reskilling will likely be discussed by the panel as its pretty common in sports ethics parlance.

3) The shoes have been shown to be reduce inefficiency so I don't believe this is in any doubt. The question is whether the amount of improvement is deemed acceptable. That's an ethical debate. I do have a journal paper that I've submitted that argues (with evidence) about the margin of improvement and I'll share that here if it gets accepted for publication.

4) .... so this then leads into another standard discussion point about whether the technology is 'an advantage over the sport' itself. You need a baseline on that. That baseline is debatable as things stand but I'd be interested to know what any of you here think about that. My point regarding energy return was worded the way it was as the WA rules specifically mention 'passiveness' (and energy return discussion addresses that). I would argue with you that the debate of their efficacy involves other mechanisms. The bottom line is that the rules are currently inadequate - I was part of the team that looked at the Pisotorius effect and his prosthetics were legal by the rules yet had many advantages (and disadvantages to be fair).

5) It's big question but not the only question that we need to ask.

6) I would argue you're comparing apples to oranges in those examples but I like your thinking on the speed to improvement conversion. I should also add that the reason the suits were outlawed (eventually - it took nigh on 9 years to resolve the case) was as much due to concerns over access and other factors as it was due to their improvement. It should be noted that by the time the suits were eventually banned, it didn't take long for the records that were set with them to still be beaten - I have argued in the past that part of their benefit was psychological. Either way, I have evidence submitted that demonstrates the level of performance gain of these shoes is in keeping with the sport of running over the last 50 years and no worse than many other sports either.

7) It wasn't ever intended to be a race. The exercise has been misrepresented by the press and media. It was an experiment. Albeit a very successful one.

In my "sports fan" and "athlete" mind, I come back to this

"Does this gear result in a superior conversion of my mechanical energy output to forward motion speed than without it?"

I see paddles as a really good example (swim run use of paddles bothers me, but then again they have to swim with water logged running shoes, so that's a different sport entirely). But in a pool or triathlon, paddles, offer a mechanical advantage for the same amount of energy expenditure to move you forward faster. So you can't use them in FINA racing. I use them in at least 50% of my swim workouts (not in meters, just 50% of visits to the pool), noting that I cannot use them in racing, however they offer a conditioning advantage.

I can't really answer if 4% shoes are in the same category as paddles, but they seem to roughly give the same percent of speed gains and they mechanically alter how one runs just like paddles mechanically alter how we swim. Having said that Hokas mechanically alter how we run (Usein Bolt would sprint very differently in Hokas vs spikes....the latter being almost the same as he would sprinting bare foot).

So I am not sure where you draw the line. Something that mechanically alters how we do sport, but slows us down or keeps us at par to industry baselines is OK, but if it speeds you up, its banned?

As for Kipchoge and sub 2, while real athletes KNOW it was not supposed to be race, those that organized it no full well that it would be packaged up in the media as a race. It was not a IAAF marathon, it was a 42.195 km group run that happened to be timed and paced. He may have well worn Pistorious springy prosthetics and it would have not mattered. I do agree he was fundamentally doing the sport himself, its just that many other forms of assistance were illegal from a competition running framework.

So should IAAF ban the shoes, if I was in the marketing department of competing running shoe companies, I'd start a viral online campaign about Nike and Kiphchoge's banned shoes being used for the sub 2....now that would kind of suck for the effort Kiphchoge put in, however, he fully well knew it was at a concocted event.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [caffeinatedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caffeinatedtri wrote:
THis might be answered elsewhere but just because it is banned by the governing body of running does not mean triathletes could not use it right? or does it.
THe UCI has banned much of the bike tech that you see in triathlon. Triathlon has a much more lenient stance towards wetsuit wearing than the governing body for open water swimming does like long distance in the olympics..

I have no idea though just a question

If WTC were to follow the ban, it would be the shock of the decade for me, however the question I would have is whether ITU (who follows UCI restrictions) would apply the ban to their events and if so, whether they apply it only to elites or include the AG world championship races. I would bet against them banning it simply because the major concern in running are the falling WRs and time is just not relevant in ITU. But the added concern of non-Nike sponsored athletes being at a disadvantage may push ITU to follow it.

I've already posted like 50 times on how silly it is to think that any ban will apply to amateurs runners. But whether ITU adopts it is a more interesting question to ask.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This topic is getting very interesting. When you look at the major companies. Almost all of them are coming out with Pebax foam based shoes.

Nike has theirs. Reebok has them. On has them. Saucony is releasing a Pebax with Carbon plate shoe. They're all over the place.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeing the prototype addidas photo (along with the alphafly) does make me think there needs to be some limit on how much platform runners are given... i don't want to see a continuing escalation of stacking more beneficial material under the foot until we see everyone running with massive springs under their feet which will not only radically change the sport but most importantly look damn stupid.

i'd think allowing the vaporfly/next% but drawing a limit for stack height around there would be sensible to not roll anything backwards while maintaining something vaguely normal looking and not entirely disconnecting the runner's foot from the ground impact/push-off function
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that the only thing the vaporfly shows is how crappy shoes have been that came before the vaporfly.

If the vaporfly returns 100% or less energy than the runner is applying to the shoe than there is no advantage. The runner is still doing all the work and the shoe is simply not holding them back. If the shoe returned more than 100% of the expended energy from the runner than yes, the shoe is doing the work not the runner but that isn't the case with the vaporfly.

The vaporfly is (finally) a shoe that is not penalizing the runner. The Alpha-fly remains to be seen but stack height, foam, carbon plates, magic shoe laces, voodoo, or whatever doesn't matter and to regulate them individually would be a bad idea.

Each shoe in the future will have to be submitted to some "regulatory body" (kind of like they do in golf when it comes to the golf ball and driver heads) to see if said shoe returns more than 100% of the runners energy.

Let shoe makers innovate and figure out how they can hit the 100% mark and fight over market share.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The irony is that carbon plates are not new in athletics... They were showing up in Sprinting and mid-distance spikes in the late 90s early 2000s (I still have my silver Mizuno Tokyo MD spikes from around 2000) that have carbon reinforcement from the ball of the foot back to the arch to help with power transfer...
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
Today's update: https://uk.reuters.com/...ources-idUKKBN1ZN0MN

Thanks for posting

Looking forward to some actual word from IAAF

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Not sure if it makes sense. If the mass population thought the ban would apply to them (which was always a silly premise) why would they stock up? so they can chase strava segments? Did they think Nike really wouldn't produce the shoes if the ban only applied to elites as if that was their only market? I know that "so good it was banned" is a good marketing ploy, but there has already been multiple publicized studies showing how good it was and the NYT article did a huge favor to them, twice in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason the boost in sales happened more because of the refresh of that article posted last month more than a potential ban.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the Guardian reputable? It's the first I've seen of anyone claiming to know the details of the ruling coming out Friday. Sounds like they need more time to set guidelines and the Nikes are safe until after Tokyo.

https://www.theguardian.com/...vaporflys-escape-ban

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:
Is the Guardian reputable? It's the first I've seen of anyone claiming to know the details of the ruling coming out Friday. Sounds like they need more time to set guidelines and the Nikes are safe until after Tokyo.

Relatively reputable. According to the chatter I've heard, I would broadly agree with what they are claiming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:

I feel like if the guardian has been consistently reporting the source that it could be reputable, someone just has a contact inside the IAAF. Idk about their general reputation, maybe someone in the UK can answer that?

Seems like a move to A) stop the Alphafly from becoming the shoe of choice for Nike athletes/countries at Tokyo and B) to keep filling their pockets from sponsors by grandfathering all current shoes. This works out for Hoka, if there are any Hoka athletes running in the Olympics.

Either way, this seems like they want to mirror the UCI bike policy, which is a good move, I am just afraid of them doing their own studies and deciding what is bad and what is good. Granted while there are some studies out there, there aren't a lot. I don't imagine they have the absolute best biomechanic experts on staff.

I'm not sure if the Alphafly will be released out to the general public or kept locked down like the Elite but if it was the plan, it won't stop Nike given that it will sell in a huge way for fall marathons even with the pros not being allowed to run it.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
I think that the only thing the vaporfly shows is how crappy shoes have been that came before the vaporfly.

If the vaporfly returns 100% or less energy than the runner is applying to the shoe than there is no advantage. The runner is still doing all the work and the shoe is simply not holding them back. If the shoe returned more than 100% of the expended energy from the runner than yes, the shoe is doing the work not the runner but that isn't the case with the vaporfly.

The vaporfly is (finally) a shoe that is not penalizing the runner. The Alpha-fly remains to be seen but stack height, foam, carbon plates, magic shoe laces, voodoo, or whatever doesn't matter and to regulate them individually would be a bad idea.

Each shoe in the future will have to be submitted to some "regulatory body" (kind of like they do in golf when it comes to the golf ball and driver heads) to see if said shoe returns more than 100% of the runners energy.

Let shoe makers innovate and figure out how they can hit the 100% mark and fight over market share.

Is 100% energy return a reasonable bench mark? What energy are we talking about? Is it the force of a foot strike or something else? What is the energy return of a barefoot runner, a typical running shoe and the next%? If someone ran a certain speed in one of those examples what would they run with 100% energy return?

Because physics surely you would never get 100%. You would have to have absolutely zero energy converted to sound or heat, for example. But however remarkable this zero loss shoe would be it would still only get 100% which would, apparently, be fine. So basically what you are saying is any shoe is fine. Surely by your argument any shoe 'penalises' runners because 100% or more energy return isn't actually possible until Nike can circumvent the laws of nature. At least that's my stumbling block with this idea.

I'm genuinely asking someone to explain this to me. Because 100% energy return is mentioned elsewhere but I'm not really sure what that means exactly.

Apart from anything else, if we can return more than 100% energy shouldn't we be using that technology to power everything instead of burning stuff?
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you can if you go blade runner aka Oscar Pistorius style or maybe spring driven technology such as shoes like these then it's possible you will get more than 100% energy return due to a spring. Unlikely we will start running in the likes of them any time soon but technology advances and where do you put the cut off???

https://www.alibaba.com/...h-T_60638129443.html
https://gearjunkie.com/enko-spring-shoes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:

I've never seen such a contrasting publication. Guardian Sports division is top notch in the Rugby coverage. Their political stuff is atrocious, basically a tabloid.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not how it works.. Let's say with "regular" running shoes, you'll only be able to convert 85% (completely made up number) of the energy/force/whatever you apply to forward movement. The Nike 4% or Next% might then allow for +-90% of that energy/force to be converted into forward movement. Oscar Pistorius' blades would then allowmaybe 97% or something like that to be converted for instance. You'll become more efficient, but there's no such thing as >100% efficiency/energy return.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
That's not how it works.. Let's say with "regular" running shoes, you'll only be able to convert 85% (completely made up number) of the energy/force/whatever you apply to forward movement. The Nike 4% or Next% might then allow for +-90% of that energy/force to be converted into forward movement. Oscar Pistorius' blades would then allowmaybe 97% or something like that to be converted for instance. You'll become more efficient, but there's no such thing as >100% efficiency/energy return.

That's how I see it.

I can kind of see how a shoe that loads like a spring gives you the conversion of energy you mention + some return of energy that it stored on impact and released. In the same way that with a trampoline you can jump higher than the previous bounce because you get energy returned from the landing plus the chance to push off again. So you could say the net result is higher than the push off. But a trampoline isn't >100% efficient because nothing can be, as you say. In my crude, unscientific way, I'd define that as two different energy sources that are working harmoniously which results in an enhanced jump over what is possible with just a push off.
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I think you can if you go blade runner aka Oscar Pistorius style or maybe spring driven technology such as shoes like these then it's possible you will get more than 100% energy return due to a spring. Unlikely we will start running in the likes of them any time soon but technology advances and where do you put the cut off???

https://www.alibaba.com/...h-T_60638129443.html
https://gearjunkie.com/enko-spring-shoes

The whole spring concern is a red herring...... at least in the way many people think it is.

..... however, I was part of a research team a few years back that proposed and published that Pistorius legs could, at a given speed, mass and step rate, harness a harmonic 'trampoline effect'. It only influences a small fraction of a 100, 200 or 400m race but it could be more beneficial in events that see large amounts of steady state velocity..... but only if the spring is tailored specifically to the athlete. I have remarked that there is no evidence to suggest these shoes could possess the same potential.... yet... but I would say that any gains from a standardized commercial shoe would not be the same for everyone.
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Jan 30, 20 4:24
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Scottxs wrote:

Is 100% energy return a reasonable bench mark?

It is one benchmark but not the only benchmark. There are also ethical arguments too (such as access, cost, safety, etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
OddSlug wrote:
Scottxs wrote:

Is 100% energy return a reasonable bench mark?

It is one benchmark but not the only benchmark. There are also ethical arguments too (such as access, cost, safety, etc).

I think it's possible you are so far ahead of this discussion you can't see where I'm struggling.

What is the definition of this energy and how do we define how much is returned?

ETA - I somehow missed the posts at the top of page 4 here where this is addressed. Apologies and ignore me until I get a chance to catch up.
Last edited by: OddSlug: Jan 30, 20 5:31
Quote Reply
Re: Vaporflys to be banned? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:

I've never seen such a contrasting publication. Guardian Sports division is top notch in the Rugby coverage. Their political stuff is atrocious, basically a tabloid.

I don't think many people would describe the Guardian that way. I'm sure the consensus would be that it's a broadsheet with the type of journalism that implies. It's commonly described as centre left, is it possible you disagree with the leaning rather than the quality of the journalism?
Quote Reply

Prev Next