Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USTS Bud Light Series Results [d2xccoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote d2xccoach...I'd also vote in favor of a "Slowtwitch results repository", and contribute what I have. Go for it Dan![/quote]
I would think this would be something that USAT *should* be interested in building as a form of historical perspective, documenting of the growth of the sport from inception. Of course, no one's likely to be willing to do it without some infusion of time/money/snail-mail. This is potentially time consuming, but would be totally feasible. Scan document, convert to pdf, convert image to text, build database. Even more time consuming, though, would be the long-term management of it all...triathletes can be really OCD...this could be a lot of paper hidden in basements, attics, and garages. And would you cut it off at paper? Reposting data from other sites - or even linking, if the timing company dies - could be a real PITA. Anyone in the mood to play Sisyphus?
Quote Reply
Re: USTS Bud Light Series Results [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. You found one of my old races. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: USTS Bud Light Series Results [leh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any of the Norfolk races?
Quote Reply
Re: USTS Bud Light Series Results [d2xccoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turns out that I just have the one page top 5 results sheets for Baltimore 90 and 91 but do have full results for Delaware 92. It is around 50 pages though! I could try scanning the first page of males and females and maybe directly send you a specific age group. Scanning all of those pages would take forever!

-leh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'91 Baltimore USTS - a classic for sure ; )

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Re: USTS Bud Light Series Results [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimmyRiccitello wrote:
'91 Baltimore USTS - a classic for sure ; )

So I see you were the winner that year! Splits: swim=19:42 (8th in division), T1=1:19, Bike=55:22 (1st in division), T2=:55, Run=34:20 (8th in division), Total Time=1:51:38

At the top of the results form it lists the top overall splits in each leg. It turns out that a former swim club teammate of mine, Brett Rose, and I had the fastest swim splits. IIRC, I swam a bit off course and took my wave with me...cool b/c any time I can get the swim to be longer for all my competitors I am happy. After that, the glory was over for me and it was just a long line of people passing by for the next 2+ hours! Back then I never wore a wetsuit if pros were racing, so I could compare my swim time to theirs. Guess I didn't care that it meant giving up a few places in my age group as who cares if you finish 18th (or whatever) instead of 22nd.

I remember it being rainy and as I came off the ramp into the inner harbor there was a large metal plate. There must have been some road work going on there. Anyhow, I rode over it and skidded but somehow managed to pull myself up without hitting the ground. I SWEAR I was about a foot from touching the ground, though it probably just FELT that way. The guy behind me rode by and couldn't believe I didn't crash. My awesome bike skills saved me. (That is a joke; I have mediocre bike skills at best, but somehow pulled up hard and didn't fall.) My wheel rim was bent pretty bad but there was only like a mile left in the ride so I rode it in all wobbly. Fun race!!

-leh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This makes me think how cool it would be to create an uploadable website for old race results. My World's Toughest thread had a similar response of people digging thru old results boxes.

"Grab a Brew Don't Cost nothing"
Quote Reply
Re: USTS Bud Light Series Results [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBeer wrote:
Do you have any of the Norfolk races?

I totally forgot about Norfolk! Just checked and couldn't find the results from the one year I attended. I believe they just sent the one page summary with top times and how you compared in your age group. Since I used to save all the mailed results, I certainly have whatever was mailed but it must be stuck in with some results from another race.

One thing I remember about that race is that while driving down to VA my aerobar pads flew off so I went to a K-Mart and bought furry fabric that one might use for a stuffed animal. I cut oval pieces out, taped them on the arm rests and, VOILA, I had the comfiest and fluffiest aero bar pads ever. In a future local race, I would use them as ears that I taped on a helmet while wearing a cape. I dubbed myself "super bitch" and had mounted water pistols on my aerobars to squirt friends who had started in earlier waves as I passed them growling and barking. Uh, yeah, super serious racing back then.

-leh
Quote Reply
Re: USTS Bud Light Series Results [bnlea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bnlea wrote:
Does anyone have race results or a source of results by race from the 80's?

The USTS National Championships in Bass Lake from 1983 (original USTS distance) and 1984 are posted at http://www.basslaketri.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Uh, yeah, super serious racing back then."

We knew how to race hard and have fun at the same time. I like your squirt gun idea.

Did you ever do the Bud Light Charlottesville races? The were sweet and Lake Monticello was nice!
Quote Reply
Re: USTS Bud Light Series Results [bnlea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe I have the results book from 1988 Columbus, OH.

Gary Clendenin (aka, "The Kid" or "G-man")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! I almost wiped out on a metal plate AND a bump!!! There was a girl there in a chair that was supposed to yell "bump" BEFORE you hit the f@#cking thing, and she yells it AFTER I launched 2 feet in the air! I almost got killed, because she was half asleep. And I mean it, I was flying, downhill, in the rain, over a 10 foot metal plate.

I would love to see results from the Bud Light series in Baltimore and at Haystack, Vermont, both of which I did with some friends one of whom has passed away. It would probably mean a lot to his wife. Can't seem to find them.

Walt
Quote Reply
Re: USTS Bud Light Series Results [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi
Looking for results of the bud light series 1986-1988
Had a large amateur team that won many races....would compensate you for your time for any results of that period
Thanks
J. Lynn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I am so stoked to find this blog. I did a few triathlons back in the '80's. I have been looking for the results of the 1986 USTS in Hilton Head Island. Would you perhaps have these for the women's race? I was 21 years old and as naive as they come.

I came to the race from Nevada, qualifying by placing 2nd in the Bud Light Road Runner Triathlon. I had run cross country in high school and had been rather fast in 9th grade, finishing 2nd in state AA. After high school I bought a Kuwahara road bike and decided to do a few triathlons. I never kept my splits though. To train I ran and road my bike up the long hill from the lake to town. I trained for the swim by swimming out to the buoys that marked the public beach, and then I did laps between the buoys and would rest by hanging on to one.
In my inexperience, I had not planned far enough ahead for buying myself a plane ticket to Hilton Head, and by the time I went to do it the price was exorbitant. So I bought a train ticket and my friend gave me a ride 75 miles over to Kingman, AZ where I caught the train and traveled cross country (and not in a sleeper car) through Chicago to Washington DC. I remember having a 12 hour layover in DC, and walking around until I was exhausted viewing the exhibits in the Smithsonian and monuments along the Mall. The train ride ended in south Georgia. My uncle and aunt met me at the train station. I can still see the porter handing my uncle my bike box out by the tracks. I stayed overnight at my aunt's house and borrowed my grandmother's car who was out of town at the time. I drove out to Hilton Head and spent race day eve in a nice place, I don't recall the name of it. The night before the race I attended the pre-race dinner social and picked up my race pack, it was all quite surreal. I remember that night someone asked me what my qualifying splits were, and I had no idea. He gave me a funny look and walked away. The next morning to psych myself up, I put two lines of blue zinc oxide below my eyes like I'd seen some of the athletes in the magazines do. Who knows what that looked like! As I rode my bike over to the starting race area it was rather an overwhelming experience and I was a quite intimidated by all the hype, cameras and the crowds. I was nervous and nauseous with fear. During the swim I had my ankle grabbed more than once, and was pulled under and swam over top of by those so much faster and stronger! Wow! Welcome to a race with professional fast people! I remember coming out of the water and across the astro turf and as I turned the corner my bike rack section was completely empty except for my bike. As I rode along I remember hearing the hum of the disk wheels and the yells of the cyclists as they passed. I finished the race and walked around for awhile mingling with the other racers. I have no idea what my times were. I have been curious for many years. I am sure there are those who would say 'Wow, what a dumb person!' But I look back on the whole experience and laugh at my youthful naivete, and give myself props for not chickening out!

If perhaps you or someone else has the 1986 USTS Tri Series National Championship results and could tell me my splits, it would be meaningful to me to know. I always wondered where I placed. If you could send me a PM me that would be great.
Last edited by: LisaS: Jan 26, 14 9:02
Quote Reply
Re: USTS Bud Light Series Results [LisaS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a great story Lisa, your results would be fun to see but that trip you had was the real prize. I only have the pro results, but someone here might have the entire list. Of course they would need your name back then, but mant times folks still have that old paper still in a box.
Quote Reply
Re: USTS Bud Light Series Results [IronRod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronRod wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:
Remember how they had to reverse the swim start and we had to walk a mile up the beach.

I raced Hilton Head in '87 and they reversed the swim that year, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LisaS wrote:
Hey I am so stoked to find this blog. I did a few triathlons back in the '80's. I have been looking for the results of the 1986 USTS in Hilton Head Island. Would you perhaps have these for the women's race? I was 21 years old and as naive as they come.

I came to the race from Nevada, qualifying by placing 2nd in the Bud Light Road Runner Triathlon. I had run cross country in high school and had been rather fast in 9th grade, finishing 2nd in state AA. After high school I bought a Kuwahara road bike and decided to do a few triathlons. I never kept my splits though. To train I ran and road my bike up the long hill from the lake to town. I trained for the swim by swimming out to the buoys that marked the public beach, and then I did laps between the buoys and would rest by hanging on to one.
In my inexperience, I had not planned far enough ahead for buying myself a plane ticket to Hilton Head, and by the time I went to do it the price was exorbitant. So I bought a train ticket and my friend gave me a ride 75 miles over to Kingman, AZ where I caught the train and traveled cross country (and not in a sleeper car) through Chicago to Washington DC. I remember having a 12 hour layover in DC, and walking around until I was exhausted viewing the exhibits in the Smithsonian and monuments along the Mall. The train ride ended in south Georgia. My uncle and aunt met me at the train station. I can still see the porter handing my uncle my bike box out by the tracks. I stayed overnight at my aunt's house and borrowed my grandmother's car who was out of town at the time. I drove out to Hilton Head and spent race day eve in a nice place, I don't recall the name of it. The night before the race I attended the pre-race dinner social and picked up my race pack, it was all quite surreal. I remember that night someone asked me what my qualifying splits were, and I had no idea. He gave me a funny look and walked away. The next morning to psych myself up, I put two lines of blue zinc oxide below my eyes like I'd seen some of the athletes in the magazines do. Who knows what that looked like! As I rode my bike over to the starting race area it was rather an overwhelming experience and I was a quite intimidated by all the hype, cameras and the crowds. I was nervous and nauseous with fear. During the swim I had my ankle grabbed more than once, and was pulled under and swam over top of by those so much faster and stronger! Wow! Welcome to a race with professional fast people! I remember coming out of the water and across the astro turf and as I turned the corner my bike rack section was completely empty except for my bike. As I rode along I remember hearing the hum of the disk wheels and the yells of the cyclists as they passed. I finished the race and walked around for awhile mingling with the other racers. I have no idea what my times were. I have been curious for many years. I am sure there are those who would say 'Wow, what a dumb person!' But I look back on the whole experience and laugh at my youthful naivete, and give myself props for not chickening out!

If perhaps you or someone else has the 1986 USTS Tri Series National Championship results and could tell me my splits, it would be meaningful to me to know. I always wondered where I placed. If you could send me a PM me that would be great.

Well...

You're in luck. I too raced that as my first "big race" having qualified but virtue of decent non-usts finish. In the race, I got my head handed to me. I raced poorly, but, even if I could have raced well, on that day I was out of my league. A guy from our "group" won my AG (20 - 24) Montgomery Mouw. Really nice guy and had an awesome race. He finished 17th place, beating many pro's with a time of 1:56:19.

I think I still have the nice white collar finisher shirt (somewhere). AND, I have the complete results book.

I did look twice through the complete women's results for a Lisa from NV and couldn't find a single one. If you want to PM me I'll be happy to look in more depth and scan the page to a PDF and email it to you. But, I need more info.

cheers,
keith

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Post deleted by LisaS [ In reply to ]
Re: USTS Bud Light Series Results [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keith -
Hey thank you for the response, and for sharing how you too were 'handed your head' on that race day.
I keep getting a message of "you can't send PM's" so forgive the reply in the Thread here. If you'd look in the amateur 20-24 women's last name of Sikes....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LisaS wrote:
Keith -
Hey thank you for the response, and for sharing how you too were 'handed your head' on that race day.
I keep getting a message of "you can't send PM's" so forgive the reply in the Thread here. If you'd look in the amateur 20-24 women's last name of Sikes....

Yep. I found it and I have a PDF of the page waiting (with the booklet cover). I believe you need to go into your settings to allow PM's and put in your email as well. Mine is set correctly (I've gotten PM's from others).

The file is ready when you get your end setup and rockin'.

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just skimming threads and saw this, I believe you need to have a certain number of posts to PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is good news! Though I believe Jack's post below, is correct, in that I still am unable to send a PM. Is it possible that you can see my email address within my profile? If you would send the pdf to that address that would be wonderful. Thanks again for finding it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LisaS wrote:
That is good news! Though I believe Jack's post below, is correct, in that I still am unable to send a PM. Is it possible that you can see my email address within my profile? If you would send the pdf to that address that would be wonderful. Thanks again for finding it!

All that comes up in the email address is LisaS. That won't fly as an address. I've made my address for email "public" on my profile. send me an email and I'll attach the PDF in a reply.

That should do the trick.
cheers

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While you are at it, post up here the first page if you could, you have my permission to use my name..(-:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
While you are at it, post up here the first page if you could, you have my permission to use my name..(-:

so... do you mean the first page of "Overall Finish Order - Men"? It lists the top 39 guys.

if so email me (via my profile and I'll PDF the page and sent it as a reply). I don't wanna hassle with posting a picture, but, you can once you get the page.

Interesting tidbit(s) # 39 is Kevin Moats - but if you're looking for your name; I couldn't find it.

1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply

Prev Next