Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USAT's Ray Rice
Quote | Reply
I came here looking for news about the USAT domestic abuse scandal but dont see anything. The Chicago Tribune (link below) said USAT Treasurer Jack Weiss was charged with felony abuse of his wife in May 2013. It says he pled guilty but USAT didn't do anything. Then he was re-elected treasurer anyway. It said he quit as treasurer last week under pressure to resign from the board, but is still on the board. Weiss said there was "no cover-up" but nobody told the members. No remorse at all. Even the football players act like they're sorry but Weiss sounds cocky! So the story says USAT was going to do something about this triathlon scandal yesterday but no news yet. How do we get rid of this cancer? The whole lot of USATs board voting for this guy should be run outta dodge. They make all of us look bad.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20141007-story.html
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [2stepTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please let me personally respond. Yes I pled to a misdemeanor and not a felony as you so inaccurately state, which was part of the entire procedure. The fact is I was offered and accepted deferred adjudication and if you read further, I have no conviction. Unlike Mr. Rice, there was no effort on my part or of the federation "to cover this up". The Federation was aware of it within 72 hours of the incident and monitored my progression thru the justice system. I did 80 hours of community service, I was on probation for 8 months and under Texas law was removed and case closed as a result of my good behavior and counseling. I did 8 weeks of group counseling and then another year of individual counseling. The Board had sessions on this in 2013 and one in 2014 which discussed this and the USOC was well aware of my issues.. Under the USAT By-Laws and the Code of Ethics I violated no rules or by-laws. My record is legally clean. Mr. Rice on the other hand along with NFL owners tried to cover it up, get the legal system to look the other way. I am a volunteer, I signed no morality clause and I have paid fully for my mistake. So unless you personally are without any mistakes in your life, I suggest you let this go. I do note that I am posting by my real name and ID, you on the other hand are not telling us who you are, so let me ask you, who's the real coward here??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. I just never understand how any male can hit a female. Never ever any excuse for this other than these folks have some big issues.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently it's time to revise the USAT code of ethics.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [ironjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironjack wrote:
Mr. Rice on the other hand along with NFL owners tried to cover it up, get the legal system to look the other way.

No he didn't. His record is clean too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone makes mistakes, some more drastic than others. Lord knows I have made my own and have had to deal with the repercussions. What, I think, most people want to hear, is something along the lines of contrition and an acknowledgement of responsibility. I'd guess you maybe feel this way, but your post sounds defensive, and possibly threatening, which may not be the tone to strike as it only makes the target on you bigger. I'm glad you got counseling, I hope it helped you understand how you got to wherever you were in the past and have learned how to avoid getting there again. You don't owe anyone other than those directly affected an apology, certainly not Slowtwitchers, but conveying a sense of regret would go a long way to restoring confidence in the organization that runs our sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironjack wrote:
I am a volunteer, I signed no morality clause and I have paid fully for my mistake.
Really? Does anyone besides this accused felon (who pled down) and the board people who voted for him think someone charged with felony wife abuse should be on the triathlon board? Why are they protecting him? Its hard to believe the USOC didn't clean house with these guys.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [boszoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boszoom wrote:
Everyone makes mistakes, some more drastic than others. Lord knows I have made my own and have had to deal with the repercussions. What, I think, most people want to hear, is something along the lines of contrition and an acknowledgement of responsibility. I'd guess you maybe feel this way, but your post sounds defensive, and possibly threatening, which may not be the tone to strike as it only makes the target on you bigger. I'm glad you got counseling, I hope it helped you understand how you got to wherever you were in the past and have learned how to avoid getting there again. You don't owe anyone other than those directly affected an apology, certainly not Slowtwitchers, but conveying a sense of regret would go a long way to restoring confidence in the organization that runs our sport.

Yeah, that was my initial thought....no sign of remorse or regret, just a whole bunch of anger. Not exactly the best tone to strike in a situation such as this, IMO.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boszoom wrote:

Couldn't agree more...his post left me shaking my head. Men hitting women is disgusting...if Jack feels the need to post it shouldn't be anything other than, "I screwed up big time and am trying to fix my life."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boszoom wrote:

What does WTC have todo with this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironjack wrote:
Please let me personally respond. Yes I pled to a misdemeanor and not a felony as you so inaccurately state, which was part of the entire procedure. The fact is I was offered and accepted deferred adjudication and if you read further, I have no conviction. Unlike Mr. Rice, there was no effort on my part or of the federation "to cover this up". The Federation was aware of it within 72 hours of the incident and monitored my progression thru the justice system. I did 80 hours of community service, I was on probation for 8 months and under Texas law was removed and case closed as a result of my good behavior and counseling. I did 8 weeks of group counseling and then another year of individual counseling. The Board had sessions on this in 2013 and one in 2014 which discussed this and the USOC was well aware of my issues.. Under the USAT By-Laws and the Code of Ethics I violated no rules or by-laws. My record is legally clean. Mr. Rice on the other hand along with NFL owners tried to cover it up, get the legal system to look the other way. I am a volunteer, I signed no morality clause and I have paid fully for my mistake. So unless you personally are without any mistakes in your life, I suggest you let this go. I do note that I am posting by my real name and ID, you on the other hand are not telling us who you are, so let me ask you, who's the real coward here??

If you were going for the "There's no excuse..i fucked up big time and I'm truly sorry for what I did" angle with your response, you missed big time.

I feel more contempt for you as a result of your response.

My name is in my profile, tough guy.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Last edited by: stringcheese: Oct 14, 14 14:55
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't agree more...his post left me shaking my head. Men hitting women is disgusting...if Jack feels the need to post it shouldn't be anything other than, "I screwed up big time and am trying to fix my life."[/quote]
+1

No story needed.

Now, should he be allowed on the board? I don't know what the board by-laws say, or what the discussions were. I have to assume it wasn't taken lightly. Maybe he didn't come off as such a crotch when they confronted him.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get the use of the word "mistake". Hitting woman or anyone for that matter is NOT a freaking "mistake". It is a choice.

boszoom wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who's the real coward here??

Um, the guy who hits a woman. You should do the honourable thing and f*** off.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lines you need a new damn hobby. As I have said before....go away troll. Your business with the federation is surely done by now. You've done all the damage you need do...or you had before you were asked to leave, anyway....you've just continued to spite others.

ETA: Let me revise that statement by removing the first name of the person I would be willing to bet money is at the heart of stirring up this shit. Because, for some unknown reason he's got such a hard-on to cause untold amounts of harassment & trouble to the USAT board, Jack specifically, that he's gone out of his way multiple times to dredge up trouble. Yet he's the first one to throw around the harassment word should anyone call his character into question.

Jack has paid his dues & many times apologized for his actions, of this I am sure. But one can only defend himself &/or be drug through the mud so many times before you just get tired & it does start sounding defensive. And this ST "member" of one day, if he's who I think he is, can really do a GREAT job of making people defensive, or in my case mean. This is the second outright attack on Jack that I've seen launched this year.

As a woman, who has been physically assaulted, I say none of you on an internet forum have any need to punish or speak down to Jack any further. It's none of your business and as someone else pointed out - he doesn't owe any of you/us an apology.

It wouldn't have been an issue had someone else not drug it into the beat-down halls of ST...and then proceeded to continue to propagate the ravings.It's not USAT's responsibility to govern decency outside of the sport & the BOD are meant to steer the sport & the federation in the right direction - not to serve as moral guideposts. I'm not excusing what was done, I'm saying that it's not our business to be the judge or the jury on an internet forum.

Allison Ware

AW
Last edited by: AWARE: Oct 14, 14 15:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi my name is Shawn Bernardi, now that you know I am not a coward, i will ask you to resign your post. You no longer represent what I think any of us want in our goverining organization. I certainly do not! You are clearly not sorry, there was no mention of it in your post, only that you were able to plea down your crime. Great good for you. Oh you also showed your true colors at the end, clearly you need more therapy.
You punched your wife in the face. Period. Discussion over. Leave. Go away and do not come back.
Guess what? I make mistakes daily, but I promise you i would NEVER EVER hit my wife.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mistakes can be choices. Anyone who claims they have never made a choice to do something they now consider to be a mistake is lying. I'm not defending him. Domestic violence is awful. Whether it's a man hitting a woman or a woman hitting a man, it's simply intolerable. On further reflection, maybe I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt in hoping that there was no thought process along the lines of "it would be a good idea to hit my wife right now," in which case you're right, it's not a mistake, it's just a horrible, wrong thought process.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"if Jack feels the need to post it shouldn't be anything other than, 'I screwed up big time and am trying to fix my life.'"

i spent about 30 minutes on the phone with jack a couple of days ago. basically the gist of that 30 minutes was, "i screwed up big time and am trying to fix my life." there was no attempt, during that phone call, to dodge the severity of his act.

furthermore, jack feels worse about it than you, or me, or the OP, or anyone, because the person harmed was not just a bystander, it was his wife of 37 years. esther is foursquare behind her man, even tho i suspect esther well knew what a lot of us have known for a long time: jack has had issues with his anger.

when you talk to jack now, it's really a different jack than i previously knew. i think jack just had a blind spot about his volatility, and it didn't really hit home, pardon the pun, until now, with this.

so, the issue is, what do you do now, after the restitution, the anger management classes, the community service, revisits with the sentencing judge, are over? i've also spoken to USAT about this, and, my answer to THEM (the board, the executive director) is that i'm not going to second guess what the board does, i'm going to stand behind the board because it's the board that's got to make its decision rather than any of us.

i do have 2 comments. first, to the OP, you came on the board ONLY to bring this up, you did it anonymously, and i generally just dislike the idea of trial by internet, which is why it's in the FAQ that we just do not allow it here. so, really, identify yourself or please just slink away. or, actually be a participant here. post about the rest of the issues that triathletes face. if you only came on the board to anonymously out jack, only to recede, there's room in my brain to both abhor jack's act and not feel all that red hot about you either.

second, whatever the board does, and whatever we think, ought not to be against the backdrop of what's happening in other sports. we ought to do what's right, not what's expedient against the backdrop of a landscape pro football has painted for us. there are a number of things that all come to bear, in no particular order:

1. it's hard to enforce a code of conduct for athletes if we can't enforce it at the leadership level.
2. jack is not appointed to the board, he's elected by his constituents so i, in california, ought to have less of a say about jack's board representation than someone in texas, who jack represents.
3. there may well be a difference between my response were this a brand new accusation than now, when we have seen the entire episode played out with the offense, the adjudication, the penalty, the remedy, and the view of the victim 18 or 24 months after the domestic violence. before anyone bring up battered wife syndrome esther stood before a judge and asked that jack's misdemeanor version of probation (or whatever the proper legal term is) be reduced. that judge certainly sees a lot of domestic violence and, one assumes, knows battered wife syndrome when he sees it.
4. USAT did know about this right away, from what i understand. what should its response have been THEN? i don't know. should the proper response be codified, so that the board knows what it should do in these cases? good topic of conversation.
5. i know this is going to piss most of you off, but if you didn't vote in the last couple of elections - and that's maybe 95 out of 100 of you - you certainly have the right to voice your opinion on domestic violence in general, but do you really have any right to opine on USAT, and jack weiss, and the code of conduct, etc. and so forth? if you don't vote in a USAT election you really have kind of a spurious right to criticize what USAT does not doesn't do.

finally, i have zero expertise in domestic violence, other than my own sense that the minute i am tempted to hit my wife i either need to get out of that marriage or get into counseling. my own heirarchy of importance in THIS issue begins with esther. in the context of THIS episode i care more about esther than i do about anyone or anything or any organization. second in importance is jack. i've known jack a long time. we've butted heads so often that, knowing his penchant for my anger, and my penchant for retaliation, it's a mystery why we've never had at it. that established, i care about jack coming out of this a whole and new man, and an even better husband for esther. only behind these two am i concerned about USAT. that said, i stand behind our organization and am certain it will act honorably.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I don't get the use of the word "mistake". Hitting woman or anyone for that matter is NOT a freaking "mistake". It is a choice.

boszoom wrote:

generally in these type of domestic violence situations, 99% of the time, it is not a one time occurrence.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every time things like this happen it was a mistake. I am so sorry. A real man would have gotten help before the law forced it. Are you trying to say this was the first time? Why did folks not get told of this before the election? If there was nothing to hide them why was it hidden?

The post by Jack showed nothing of a changed man.

Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have shown regret and remorse to my Wife, my family, my friends and USAT when confronted. I don't know most of you, a post was made, I responded, am I sorry I did this, hit my wife you're all absolutely correct on that, I am deeply sorry for my actions but I don't need to display that to you or anyone else on the forum. I thought I was being rather upstanding in not dodging the post but responding to it which talked about the charges and what I had done. This happened 18 months ago and we have BOTH tried to move on. The victim here for the second time is my wife.

I certainly am responsible and must deal with my mistake everyday for the rest of my life but I am lucky my Wife of 37 years has seen my efforts and stands by me. The Law sees my efforts and I am a citizen with full rights. I work everyday to make sure I never do this act again. This was a private moment that happened in our home. And after 30 years in this sport I have no intention of resigning. My actions on a personal note have nothing to do with my official duties as an elected Board member. We could go on with this but no matter what I say some of you will never be satisfied, so in the words of a Rick Nelson, many years ago: "You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself". But again I will say: "Those without sin, let them cast the first stone!" I am not religious but this one certainly fits the thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just because you don't "know" most of us, the reality is that most (almost all?) of us are USAT members.

I find your last post as troubling as your first.

Seeing as how this is the first many of us have heard of the incident, when it occurred is almost irrelevant. And while it may have happened in your home, when you commit a crime, it is no longer a "private moment."

It is a shame that USAT by laws prevent the board from taking further action against you, because you have no role in the governing of the sport.

You really should resign.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the textbook apology of someone with no remorse to is acting on self interest. "I'm sorry that YOU were offended".

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is one of the more odd threads in quite some time, and as more a partaker of the Lavender room than the Tri forum of late, that's saying something.
Quote Reply

Prev Next